Thread: Red dot or scope

Red dot or scope

Hi guys question as above
    just picked up a rohm trainer and wanting to fit a sight
    going to be shooting out to 10yrds max
    wanting something to fit to the 11mm rail on top and not break the bank
    idea's ?
    thank's chris

If you want precision, I would say go for a scope, red dot or laser for fast point and shoot. Scopes usually come with 2x or more of magnification, red dots are normally 1x mag. BSA make some decent fairly cheap pistol scopes.
    Walther Dominator/Hammerli AR20FT / Webley Eclipse Mk 1/ Weihrauch HW40

I agree that absolute precsion you might want a scope.. but a well set up red dot with a smal MOA (say 3-5) should be pretty good

ATB

Jon

I use a Sutter reflex red dot sight, nice bit of kit for my CP99, comes straight from Germany, costs about £56 including postage and it's the best red dot sight I've used, though I use a Walther laser for my Alecto 6yds, I've just ordered anothe Sutter red dot same as the first one but with the 19mm width clamp for the Alecto, so I can use it for the 10mtr comp without having to reset the laser. The laser fits underneath the barrel and the Sutter will fit on top.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14...psf024db24.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14...ps1d317c95.jpg
    It's not the destination; but the journey that counts!
    You can take the lad out of Essex; but not Essex out of the lad!

I have a Hawk RD25, best red dot I've had (including a Sutter, that broke) the mounts clamp up from either side like BKL's, it also has a ten year guarantee - its perfect for 10m + pistol shooting, tried it on my TX and got good groups at 25 yards, after that the dot gets a bit big

Third one down....

http://www.airgunbuyer.com/Showprodu...20Dot%20Sights

Quote Originally Posted by capt hindsight View Post
    I have a Hawk RD25, best red dot I've had (including a Sutter, that broke) the mounts clamp up from either side like BKL's, it also has a ten year guarantee - its perfect for 10m + pistol shooting, tried it on my TX and got good groups at 25 yards, after that the dot gets a bit big

Third one down....

http://www.airgunbuyer.com/Showprodu...20Dot%20Sights
    It does seem that a lot of the red dots on the market are re-branded. The Sutter mentioned above is available from several manufacturers and they all look to be of the same quality, I think I paid under £20 for mine about 3 years ago. I found that this design works best on a rifle, with a pistol the reticle is a little too twitchy, overly large and prone to paralax problems, but on a rifle\carbine it comes into it's own. Mine was on my CX-4.

I've also used the Hawke red-dots and only been disappointed by the cheapest model as there was nothing to lock the adjustment so it would not hold a zero, also it was made out of plastic. That said its fine for shooting Darts out of my Dan Wesson.

I mainly use a Hawke RD30 (It's not Hawke branded but the same sight is again made by several manufacturers) and also an AGS 2x20 pistol scope. Both are good value and well made and as others have said the red dot is better for quick shooting but the scope is better for precise shooting.
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

I have a Hawke RD30 on my alecto.. I prefer it to a 2x scope as I find it hard to get the eye relief correct with a scope..
    sportswatch.me |cocoamedia.co.uk
    AA S400F Carbine 1.77 modded with UK Neil Air stripper,Rowan Trigger MTC Viper 6-24 x 56 SCB | AA TX200 1.77, MTC Viper 10x44 SCB | Webley Alecto 1.77, Hawke 30 Red Dot.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    My advice would be whatever you do don't spend a lot....generally they are completely unnecessary and will not improve your shooting one bit.
    Iron sights are capable of producing single hole groups out to 10m (with a quailty gun and providing you put in the training and practice required)...
    Red dots will put weight high in hand and make the gun harder to control.
    Scopes will magnify your wobble and add indecision into the mix.
    They will not make you a better shot overnight, but I understand why people like the idea of them & been there myself until I learnt better