Thread: HW45 Performance

HW45 Performance

Hi All,

I have a few questions regarding the above pistol. I have just acquired one and am trying to get to grips with it and restoring it back to it's former glory.

When I got it it was covered in dust and grimy muck, a good clean and it does not look to be in to bad a condition. It is a .22 single power setting model, in black and silver, after checking that it would cock and fire i have put a few shots over the chrono and it is sending superdomes down range at a velocity of 363-374 fps it averaged out over ten shots at 370.7 fps, 4.4ft/lb is this a good starting point or should I look to disassemble and replace spring and seals.

This pistol has put a bit of a smile on my face as it is quite a handfull to shoot, but it has a good degree of accuracy if i get the hold right and do my bit.

Iain D
    FWB 700 Universal, FWB65, Anschuz 1913, BSA Martini MK5, CZ452

Hw45

I've had a few 45's still have two, that power is about right. You do on occasion get one that sits just above 5 ft/lbs but I've found even after a new spring & piston seal you rarely get above 5 without a bit of dieseling to help it along. You may get the quoted velocity with a very light pellet though.

John
    Law of any kind only affects those willing to abide by it.

Thanks John, that would ease my mind that there is no need to strip the gun down any further at the moment, what pellets have you found to be best in your pistols so far? I am looking mainly for accuracy than power as I have only got about 12-15 yards to shoot at home, could probably shoot a bit further at the club.

Thanks again

Iain
    FWB 700 Universal, FWB65, Anschuz 1913, BSA Martini MK5, CZ452

Iain D,

These are truly SUPERB pistols.

I got my first one in 1988. Foolishly sold it in 1992, probably in part exchange for another rifle...really can't remember. Missed it badly.

Got another one three years ago....love it, superb, and this one is going NOWHERE.

Great build quality, powerful, accurate as long as you do your bit, and LOADS OF CHARACTER!!!

I use RWS Hobbies in mine. Cheap to buy, accurate and, as it's only for relatively short ranges, the light, flathead design works really well.....5.5 ft.lbs with those little puppies!

For an excellent, very detailed review, google up this webpage......just google up HW45 Review and you'll come across it. The writer is Todd Cooper and the site address is something like tbay/tel/cooper, I don't do computers well enough to attach a link!!!!!

Have a look, it's a fantastic read......
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Have to agree, my 45 with Hobby's is a superb weapon in the back garden! Mine is a dual power one and is doing about 4ft lbs but it is so smooth, different class to a 240 magnum I used to have.