Thread: New .69 Mini Cannon

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post

PS - I'm VERY interested to know what grade steel you made it from - please PM me if you care to.
    Just got an answer back about the steel, it's barrel grade 416ss.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Denno View Post

Mark
    That's good to know.

Thank you for that.

tac

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Denno View Post

Mark
    Hi mark...was it heat treated + quench and temper?

Or was it 416R grade?

ATB, Ed
    Last edited by edbear2; 07-04-2013 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Hi mark...was it heat treated + quench and temper?

Or was it 416R grade?

ATB, Ed
    I'm not sure, the production process was described to me and don't remember that being mentioned.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    I wonder when the last homicide or robbery was committed with a muzzle loader in the UK?

Muzzleloaders should be exempt from legal restrictions, given their low likelihood of criminal abuse.

However, it also seems to me that UK law also seems to try to anticipate and control intended legal use, at the time of sale, or at any point during possession.

Case in point: an original 1851 Colt revolver would be uncontrolled, if the purchaser / possessor intends it only for a curio or ornament: but Section 1, if he intends to shoot it at the range.
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    I wonder when the last homicide or robbery was committed with a muzzle loader in the UK?

Muzzleloaders should be exempt from legal restrictions, given their low likelihood of criminal abuse.

However, it also seems to me that UK law also seems to try to anticipate and control intended legal use, at the time of sale, or at any point during possession.

Case in point: an original 1851 Colt revolver would be uncontrolled, if the purchaser / possessor intends it only for a curio or ornament: but Section 1, if he intends to shoot it at the range.
    It seems that the last recorded use of a BP percussion pistol being deliberately used with intent to cause harm was 1926. With long arms, it's a bit more difficult, as many shotguns used BP cartridges - generally available here until well into the 1960's, and many shotguns were used in crime before and since.

However, there is no recorded use of a BP rifle of any kind being used in crime in UK since at least 1870.

tac

It seems that the last recorded use of a BP percussion pistol being deliberately used with intent to cause harm was 1926. With long arms, it's a bit more difficult, as many shotguns used BP cartridges - generally available here until well into the 1960's, and many shotguns were used in crime before and since.

However, there is no recorded use of a BP rifle of any kind being used in crime in UK since at least 1870.

tac
    I doubt if there's ever been a case of anyone coming backwards out of a bank or post office holding the staff at bay with a belt buckle gun but they still got banned.

Oddly enough we had a case of attempted murder 5 miles from me in May where the weapon was a walking stick .410 so maybe we just haven't waited long enough yet. The .410 was described in court as an antique and the shooter got 5.5 years for having it. The attempted murder charge fizzled out because the victim declined to give evidence. I believe the 2 parties were related. I also think it might have shortened the respective Xmas card lists.

ATVB, Mick
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .

davederrick is offline With our thoughts, we make the world
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    They are exempt in the US aren't they ?
    "I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959)

Quote Originally Posted by davederrick View Post
    They are exempt in the US aren't they ?
    Yes, mostly. However, there ARE states in the Union where ANY kind of a handgun is prohibited. Surprise?

tac

Yes, mostly. However, there ARE states in the Union where ANY kind of a handgun is prohibited. Surprise?

tac
    I've a pal who ( understandedly ) bitterly resents the UK handgun ban. I love to recount, in his hearing, of standing at the counter of a gunshop in Coeur d' Alene in Idaho. The chap in front of me had just selected a pistol and the assistant completed the sale by saying ' Right, Sir, I just need a major credit card and sight of your Concealed Weapon Permit and that's it!' 2 minutes later he was on the street, armed and dangerous.

Wonder if I can lure Pete into reading this ......
    ATB, Mick
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .