Quote Originally Posted by walnutfarmmick View Post
I've a pal who ( understandedly ) bitterly resents the UK handgun ban. I love to recount, in his hearing, of standing at the counter of a gunshop in Coeur d' Alene in Idaho. The chap in front of me had just selected a pistol and the assistant completed the sale by saying ' Right, Sir, I just need a major credit card and sight of your Concealed Weapon Permit and that's it!' 2 minutes later he was on the street, armed and dangerous.

Wonder if I can lure Pete into reading this ......
ATB, Mick
Well, I hafta advise you that as the buyer already had a CCW, it was not necessary to have the usual formal check, which can take up to three or four days. Rarely as in Oregon, it can take as long as twenty seconds, where all you need is your Oregon ODOT DL and a suitable method of payment for guns or ammunition. ALL transactions, however, have to be noted by the dealer, to cover his a** in case of any future hassle.

I'm a little unhappy that you added the remark 'armed and dangerous', - not needed, Sir. The FACT hat he has a CCW means that he is legally entitled to carry a handgun for self-defence, or, acting as an 'armed citizen' in Federal Law, to use the gun to defend others if necessary, or to hold a person caught in a criminal act IF the state in which his CCW is issued permits this. As such, he is not dangerous, except to another threatening person armed and in a mood to cause harm to other innocent people. Where we live in Oregon for part of the year, everybody has a CCW, and remember too that Oregon is an 'open carry' state, except in metro Portland.

tac