Thread: New .69 Mini Cannon

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbridale View Post
    Tac, I don't believe your statement is strictly true, if the aforementioned cannon is an antique then as long as it is kept as an ornament or curiosity then it is exempt under the firearms act and you can legally own one. However, the moment you go to fire it - and "intent" would be enough, it would then be designated a firearm under the Firearms Act.
    IF it is an antique, then you are correct. IF, however, it is a modern replica, even though it is a miniature, and it is drilled through to the chamber, it is a Section 1 firearm, like the one just made by the OP's buddy. Navy Arms made a .69cal 1/5th scale replica of the ACW Napoleon cannon as a kit and as a finished item - both as a Section 1 firearm with a drilled breech, and as a rather large but impressive desktop ornament.

One could be bought with mere money, the other only on production of mere money and a valid FAC.

tac

Not sure but I seem to recall proof loads are 2x safe load. Its St Pats day and getting late and my brain cell just had a bath so I'm probably wrong.

The beauty of black powder is its pretty hard to overcook it, go over the top and the excess just gets blown out the barrel unburnt.

Looks like a nice bit of kit.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane