Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New .69 Mini Cannon

cannon

is this cannon the same scale as the one they sell at Henry Kranks

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    I wonder when the last homicide or robbery was committed with a muzzle loader in the UK?

Muzzleloaders should be exempt from legal restrictions, given their low likelihood of criminal abuse.

However, it also seems to me that UK law also seems to try to anticipate and control intended legal use, at the time of sale, or at any point during possession.

Case in point: an original 1851 Colt revolver would be uncontrolled, if the purchaser / possessor intends it only for a curio or ornament: but Section 1, if he intends to shoot it at the range.
    It seems that the last recorded use of a BP percussion pistol being deliberately used with intent to cause harm was 1926. With long arms, it's a bit more difficult, as many shotguns used BP cartridges - generally available here until well into the 1960's, and many shotguns were used in crime before and since.

However, there is no recorded use of a BP rifle of any kind being used in crime in UK since at least 1870.

tac

Quote Originally Posted by lam007 View Post
    is this cannon the same scale as the one they sell at Henry Kranks
    Not sure about scale as it was a custom design that was made to a size that 'looked about right' the CAD then went to gun smiths who made and proofed it.

Size wise it's very similar to the Kranks ones - it now on sale from the gun smiths direct at http://www.dolphinguncompany.co.uk/i...dolphin-cannon

some videos of mine on my youtube http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRJPxxth4atmk94oszF3h7g

Thanks

Mark

davederrick is offline With our thoughts, we make the world
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    Muzzleloaders should be exempt from legal restrictions, given their low likelihood of criminal abuse.
    They are exempt in the US aren't they ?
    "I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959)

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    It seems that the last recorded use of a BP percussion pistol being deliberately used with intent to cause harm was 1926. With long arms, it's a bit more difficult, as many shotguns used BP cartridges - generally available here until well into the 1960's, and many shotguns were used in crime before and since.

However, there is no recorded use of a BP rifle of any kind being used in crime in UK since at least 1870.

tac
    I doubt if there's ever been a case of anyone coming backwards out of a bank or post office holding the staff at bay with a belt buckle gun but they still got banned.

Oddly enough we had a case of attempted murder 5 miles from me in May where the weapon was a walking stick .410 so maybe we just haven't waited long enough yet. The .410 was described in court as an antique and the shooter got 5.5 years for having it. The attempted murder charge fizzled out because the victim declined to give evidence. I believe the 2 parties were related. I also think it might have shortened the respective Xmas card lists.

ATVB, Mick
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .

Quote Originally Posted by davederrick View Post
    They are exempt in the US aren't they ?
    Yes, mostly. However, there ARE states in the Union where ANY kind of a handgun is prohibited. Surprise?

tac

Yes, mostly. However, there ARE states in the Union where ANY kind of a handgun is prohibited. Surprise?

tac
    I've a pal who ( understandedly ) bitterly resents the UK handgun ban. I love to recount, in his hearing, of standing at the counter of a gunshop in Coeur d' Alene in Idaho. The chap in front of me had just selected a pistol and the assistant completed the sale by saying ' Right, Sir, I just need a major credit card and sight of your Concealed Weapon Permit and that's it!' 2 minutes later he was on the street, armed and dangerous.

Wonder if I can lure Pete into reading this ......
    ATB, Mick

Quote Originally Posted by walnutfarmmick View Post
    I've a pal who ( understandedly ) bitterly resents the UK handgun ban. I love to recount, in his hearing, of standing at the counter of a gunshop in Coeur d' Alene in Idaho. The chap in front of me had just selected a pistol and the assistant completed the sale by saying ' Right, Sir, I just need a major credit card and sight of your Concealed Weapon Permit and that's it!' 2 minutes later he was on the street, armed and dangerous.

Wonder if I can lure Pete into reading this ......
    ATB, Mick
    Well, I hafta advise you that as the buyer already had a CCW, it was not necessary to have the usual formal check, which can take up to three or four days. Rarely as in Oregon, it can take as long as twenty seconds, where all you need is your Oregon ODOT DL and a suitable method of payment for guns or ammunition. ALL transactions, however, have to be noted by the dealer, to cover his a** in case of any future hassle.

I'm a little unhappy that you added the remark 'armed and dangerous', - not needed, Sir. The FACT hat he has a CCW means that he is legally entitled to carry a handgun for self-defence, or, acting as an 'armed citizen' in Federal Law, to use the gun to defend others if necessary, or to hold a person caught in a criminal act IF the state in which his CCW is issued permits this. As such, he is not dangerous, except to another threatening person armed and in a mood to cause harm to other innocent people. Where we live in Oregon for part of the year, everybody has a CCW, and remember too that Oregon is an 'open carry' state, except in metro Portland.

tac

Well, I hafta advise you that as the buyer already had a CCW, it was not necessary to have the usual formal check, which can take up to three or four days. Rarely as in Oregon, it can take as long as twenty seconds, where all you need is your Oregon ODOT DL and a suitable method of payment for guns or ammunition. ALL transactions, however, have to be noted by the dealer, to cover his a** in case of any future hassle.

I'm a little unhappy that you added the remark 'armed and dangerous', - not needed, Sir. The FACT hat he has a CCW means that he is legally entitled to carry a handgun for self-defence, or, acting as an 'armed citizen' in Federal Law, to use the gun to defend others if necessary, or to hold a person caught in a criminal act IF the state in which his CCW is issued permits this. As such, he is not dangerous, except to another threatening person armed and in a mood to cause harm to other innocent people. Where we live in Oregon for part of the year, everybody has a CCW, and remember too that Oregon is an 'open carry' state, except in metro Portland.

tac
    No offence intended. It was rather more a flippant reference to the way he'd be viewed here.

And thank you for addressing me as ' Sir '. Normally the only time that happens is when it prefaces the remark ' You'll have to leave '.

Another flippant remark, IIRC stolen from the Simpsons.

ATVB, Mick

Quote Originally Posted by walnutfarmmick View Post
    No offence intended. It was rather more a flippant reference to the way he'd be viewed here.ATVB, Mick
    Sir, you are aware, I assume, that almost 3000 [three thousand] subjects of the United Kingdom also have a CCW permit? They - police and prison officers present and retired, members of the judiciary and NIA, certain local counsellors and former members of the UDR - all carry a firearm in order to preserve their lives, and as such, would not be dangerous except to their would-be killers. I, too, carried on a daily basis in NI when out of uniform. I was determined to be VERY dangerous to any threat that came MY way.

tac

Sir, you are aware, I assume, that almost 3000 [three thousand] subjects of the United Kingdom also have a CCW permit? They - police and prison officers present and retired, members of the judiciary and NIA, certain local counsellors and former members of the UDR - all carry a firearm in order to preserve their lives, and as such, would not be dangerous except to their would-be killers. I, too, carried on a daily basis in NI when out of uniform. I was determined to be VERY dangerous to any threat that came MY way.

tac
    I didn't realise that it was anything like that number, but then can't honestly say that I'd given it any consideration in the first place. I remember that one of the policemen held in a London embassy siege in the 70s was armed at the time and presumably the Royal Protection Squad but would not have expected there to be as many as 3000 at any one time.

ATB, Mick

cannon

many thanks i am going to get one