Thread: Newbie looking at 10m pistol and general air rifle shooting

Newbie looking at 10m pistol and general air rifle shooting

Hi,

First post here, after lurking for a while!

I am looking at getting into air pistol and possibly air rifle target (Possibly FT) shooting. I have been reading all the forums and collecting as much information as possible about the various pistol types and makes.

I think I have narrowed down what I want to get to start with to the following list.

Steyr LP50 Kit with the single shot mag as well. I like the idea of a pistol that can also be used in rapid fire events. Also makes it a lot more fun for plinking targets in the garden.

Hill pump with Drypack for charging. I think I need some sort of adaptor for this. Anyone know which one I need?

Looking to also get a 300Bar 12L divers bottle for easy clean air in the future. The ones from MDE here http://www.midlanddiving.com/ look ideal, as they are only 35 miles from me.

H&N Finale Match Pellets 0.49g 4.49mm or similar.

Bisley Target Funnel 6.75x6.75 I will probably fill this with carpet to reduce the noise!

Bisley Targets Black & White Double sided 100off Cheapish targets for practising. I found some nice printable targets on the net but need a laser printer (at work) and thicker paper to print them affordably!

Gamo Metal Resetable Target Box for some fun plinking

I can shoot in by back garden (10m) as well as inside my garage/house, with an internal door open I can get a 7.5m indoor range. I am going to get work make me a 2mm sheet steel backstop as we have a sheet metal shop. I believe that a 10m target is normally mounted at 1.4m high to the centre of the target. Is this correct?

I have emailed all the Steyr dealers I could find in the UK and have had quite a few replies. Many can only supply the pistol and I think I may be better getting all items from one supplier. This would reduce postage charges and give me one point of contact. This is still pending a few replies and I will sit on it for a few days before I buy anything.

I know that this is not the cheapest way of starting out! But I am a bit of an equipment obsessive (See my website for more! J ) and would like to start with kit that I don’t have to upgrade. Plus it makes adding a rifle at some point in the future an easy task as I would already have the charging equipment.

Sorry for the long first post but I thought I would introduce my thoughts and see what everyone thinks.

Many Thanks

Mark

Welcome to the BBS, a man after my own heart.

Regards
    Barry
    http://www.picturetrail.com/airgunner

http://www.picturetrail.com/airgunner2388

Daystate MKIII RT (A).177" - Daystate MKIII RT (B) .22" (FAC) - Daystate MKIII RT (B2) Short .177" - Daystate MKIII Sports CDT (C) - Daystate X2 Sports R .177" - Daystate Harrier X .22" (FAC)

www.daystateowners.com

Gary C Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by airgunner2388
    Welcome to the BBS, a man after my own heart.

Regards
    Barry
    I can lend him a sharp knife if he wants to help himself to it....

Quote Originally Posted by Gary C
    I can lend him a sharp knife if he wants to help himself to it....
    Thats you blacklisted
    http://www.picturetrail.com/airgunner

http://www.picturetrail.com/airgunner2388

Daystate MKIII RT (A).177" - Daystate MKIII RT (B) .22" (FAC) - Daystate MKIII RT (B2) Short .177" - Daystate MKIII Sports CDT (C) - Daystate X2 Sports R .177" - Daystate Harrier X .22" (FAC)

www.daystateowners.com

Hi

Don't bother with the Gamo target box, i had one and it soon stopped working.
    They have plastic spacers in the top part of the box and as soon as a pellet hits these they break then everything starts to go downhill from there on.
    I replaced mine with metal ones, that cured that problem but then the spring type part that connects to the middle resetter got bent and everything kept jamming up.
    It soon found its way into the dustbin.
    I would just get a spinner type target if i were you, less parts to go wrong.

starrysmoothhound Guest
    hope you enjoy your new chosen sport of airguns, this is the right place for questions and answers.

Thanks all for the welcome.

I assume that these are a much better plinking target?

http://www.nockover-targets.co.uk/cordless_targets.html

Thanks

Mark

Cones - Thats a nice site you have! very informative Them Canon 18x50 IS Binoculars are cool as

Paul_C,

Thanks, as you can see I really like my mechanical and electronic toys! I also like to understand what makes them work and try and explain that for other people.

I will add an airgun section to my site when I eventually make my purchases.

I have been looking for a local club as well. The nearest one to me I have found is the Lincs HFT. So I may go along and have a look. Although I can see this leading to me purchasing a rifle!

Thanks

Mark

you will have fun on hear.

Just seen Cones's website , check it out!
    HW97K Lazaglide, HW80 Lazaglide(ex), Sidewinder(ex), FX2000(ex), Fenman(ex), Evolution(ex), HW45(ex), Hurricane(ex), SLR98(?), Wiscombe(?).
    SureFire G2+P91, SureFire G2+P60, SureFire E2, SureFire 6P+3W BOG, SureFire 6P+A19+P90, Mag 3D+3W+LOP, Mag 2C+1W+MOP, SL Strion, QIII, Surefire L1