Thread: What target size?

What target size?

Hi there can someone advise on what sort of target sizes I would be shooting for the yard/ distance.
    Many thanks.

It's meant to be fun, so shooting at overly small targets makes it a frustrating game of chance.

The equipment your using will have a bearing on a sensible target size as do the weather conditions. A 40mm spinner at 75 yards on a calm day can be relatively easy, but with even a light swirling wind it can become a lottery.

Try shooting some groups on paper, then use a target which is 1.5x the size of your best groups.

If you are using a knokdown target or spinner then simply adjust the range depending on the equipment and conditions. It's handy to have a backstop which shows your fall of shot if you miss, a piece of cardboard from a cereal packet for example, you'll learn more and be less frustrated if you know where the misses are going.

Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpshoot View Post
    Hi there can someone advise on what sort of target sizes I would be shooting for the yard/ distance.
    Many thanks.
    I would say Big enough so you can see where your shots strike but with a small enough centre to be challenging.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    I used to get a lot from simply shooting at a small spot.

5-10mm will do, on a white background.

Depending on the type of shooting, there is often a small amount of movement, so a bit of timing comes into it.

I used to find I could centre better on a spot, or pellet hole, than I could on a ruddy great bull (cant always see the cross hairs clearly).

It also means your zero and grouping ability shows up pretty quickly as well.

It also means that teh fall of shot is easilly seen.

Perhaps just take a shot, then try and single hole the things, it will also show up any change of technique if you are using a springer, and above all it is bone simple.

You will soon see the group sizes come down
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

When I was having a go at at 100M shots some time back the pellet was just disappearing into the grass somewhere well before the target, I pinned the target to the top of 6 feet of plank to see the actual drop to I had to compensate for, I think it was about 20". As a footnote, the plank was 8" wide & the slightest bit of breeze took the pellet past it.
    I used 20mm circular black stickers, from 'Shoot & C' - they go DayGlo yellow round a hit? To be honest there wasn't much yellow in evidence but it was fun trying...

these are great at 100yard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0eFW7IRqsI

Bb

targets

Hi i recently downloaded some targets on line which print off A4 size, these have inch black lines going across and up and a bullseye in the middle, i found these very useful when zeroing, and also seeing just where the mildots are for different ranges, if you can keep the gun still. it has really helped me hit the HFT targets at my club, providing of course its not too windy, if the wind is taking the pellet you can see on this target how many mildots too allow at different wind speeds. portisaacboy

Target sizes

Hi in ft you shoot 40mm kills out to 55yds that's the biggest plus some smaller15 20 mm

Try Mindflow.com.au/targets where you can design & print your own to suit yourself.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by bucketboy View Post

Bb
    Thats pretty neat - it's out with the angle grinder and welder tomorrow !

Quote Originally Posted by bucketboy View Post

Bb
    Really like the look of that may have to get 1 myself.

I found that a 1" sticker with a smaller P.O.A drawn in the centre worked well for me at 80 yards but I did put it on a piece of plain white A4 so I could see any P.O.I outside the target area . I could still see this target equally well at 100 yards but hitting it was a very different matter . I'm new to shooting ranges outside my max hunting range of 50 meters but as already mentioned your target size will be down to you and your equipment . Too small and you will end up feeling frustrated , too big and you will get bored . Atb Ricky