Thread: Lincoln Super Comet trigger

Lincoln Super Comet trigger

This is a sort of wanted ad combined with a tale, so I hope the mods bear with me.
    A friend, Stu Deeks brought me a Lincoln Super Comet that would not cock ... you could feel the sears clicking but the piston would not lock. We could not see any obvious damage to the sears; but of course had nothing to compare them to, but the edges seemed OK with no breakages. We then noticed some play in the pivot pin for trigger blade and its sear. A new pin (4mm) sorted that out and the rifle cocked again. But only for a while, then the problem returned. Examination of the sears now showed that the sear attached to the trigger blade had broken at its leading edge, leaving what looked like evidence of a rough casting. I have never examined a broken sear before so do not know what normal broken 'sear steel' looks like, but I wonder if this is pretty naff quality casting? I have searched everywhere I can think of to find a new trigger blade but failed. Even to the extent of searching through Chambers parts diagrams for Spanish rifles (I believe the Comet was made for Nickersons by a Spanish company) ... but no rifle looks similar.
    But ... nothing ventured, nothing gained, I set about making a new trigger unit. Removing the trigger blade (2 stubborn rivets) gave me the sear part to act as a template. A bit of old steel bar from the bits box and I was away. Much later, after numerous hacksaw, file and drill operations I had a fair unit made. But, of course, no real idea what shape the broken sear profile had been. The blade was fixed to my home made sear bit with new rivets and after many attempts and failures to get the sear profile right, it finally clicked into place, as it were. So the rifle now seems to be OK; it cocks and fires and does not fire as the barrel goes back into 'lock' due to the shock effect. This was a fault during my attempts to get the sear right. I have tried to case harden my new unit but am not sure it is perfect. On the other hand, the trigger sear does not take the load from the piston rod so is not under high stress. However, I may well try case hardening again ... I use a pot of case hardening material similar to Kasenit (I think from Chronos) and drop the heated steel bit in at cherry red (as per instructions), leave for 30 seconds then quench in water. I do not have acces to an oven. Never done it before.....

But ... now for the 'wanted' element ... does anyone know where I could get a new trigger for this rifle ... or maybe you have one lying in an old box that you could spare for a suitable donation to your drinks fund? Apart from the trigger fault, the rifle is in excellent condition.

Cheers, Phil

edbear2 Guest
    Hi Phil, good write up on Kasenit here;

http://www.gunreports.com/special_re...eel1750-1.html

I have some "proper" (old stock) Kasenit if you want to play, P.M. an addy to send it if interested

ATB, Ed

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Hi Phil, good write up on Kasenit here;

http://www.gunreports.com/special_re...eel1750-1.html

I have some "proper" (old stock) Kasenit if you want to play, P.M. an addy to send it if interested

ATB, Ed
    Thanks for the offer Ed. The stuff I am using is Beta No1. The write up is good too .. thanks.
    For now, I shall continue to try the Beta stuff.
    Cheers, Phil

trigger spring and sear

Hi Phil, Sorry if this is a bit of a late post to your original one but I have been having a similar experience with a Lincoln Super Comet myself. I acquired mine in a sale and found there were no springs in the trigger. I managed to get a spring for the sear (not certain its the correct one) but I'm struggling with the trigger spring as I have nothing to go on from the lack of images on the net. I wonder if with a trade of images of my sear and your spring we might be able to get both riffles back in order? Any other assistance from anyone else who may know what spring will fit or what it looks like would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Dan View Post
    Hi Phil, Sorry if this is a bit of a late post to your original one but I have been having a similar experience with a Lincoln Super Comet myself. I acquired mine in a sale and found there were no springs in the trigger. I managed to get a spring for the sear (not certain its the correct one) but I'm struggling with the trigger spring as I have nothing to go on from the lack of images on the net. I wonder if with a trade of images of my sear and your spring we might be able to get both riffles back in order? Any other assistance from anyone else who may know what spring will fit or what it looks like would be great.
    Hi Mr Dan
    good luck. I will do what I can for you but please bear with me as, if it is a fine day tomorrow, I will not be able to help you until maybe quite late afternoon / early evening. I am pretty sure that I got the trigger blade sear correct ...
    Cheers, Phil

Hi Dan
    Just had a look at my Super Comet ...
    No photos but hopefully a few words will help.
    Trigger block screws in and retains the mainspring. Block has two pins in it, the one nearest the barrel holds the main sear which holds back the piston when cocked, the rear pin holds the trigger blade and its attached sear. On this sear there is a hole into which a spring fits. The free end of this spring pushes against the upper rear edge (or lower rear edge when you have the rifle upside down and are refitting the trigger blade) of the main sear. This spring, on my rifle, is 11.5mm long, 4.8mm od, 6 coils of 0.7mm wire. It is a smooth push fit into the hole in the trigger blade sear. So there is only one trigger unit spring on my rifle. If your Super Comet has provision for more than one spring it must have a different trigger unit and I would be interested in seeing a photo of it just in case I might be able to match it with one from another rifle.

Oh yes, and my rifle is serial No. 11295
    Hoping this helps

Cheers, Phil