Thread: Which modern pellet for .22 Webley Mk 3?

Which modern pellet for .22 Webley Mk 3?

My vintage Mk 3 definitely shoots best with the long out-of-production "blue tin" Eley Wasps, which are not too easy to come by these days. Have any of you found a modern (i.e., more easily obtainable) pellet that works in the Mk 3, and other classic English "no. 2 bore" guns?

i have a vintage bsa and it shoots very well with milbro select,they seem to fit the barrel well.others recomend the caledonians among others.i have a mk3 in .177 and that certainly shoots well with the caledonians. atb

Quote Originally Posted by MDriskill View Post
    My vintage Mk 3 definitely shoots best with the long out-of-production "blue tin" Eley Wasps, which are not too easy to come by these days. Have any of you found a modern (i.e., more easily obtainable) pellet that works in the Mk 3, and other classic English "no. 2 bore" guns?
    Hello,

My Webley Mk3 & BSA Airsporter Mk1 seem to prefer lighter pellets in both .22 & .177. I have found RWS Hobby pellets work quite well in both of these as well as my older BSA / Lincoln Jeffries air rifles.

Regards

Brian

Hi MDriskill,
    I favour RWS Superdome in .22 for prewar/ 50's - 60's BSA and Webley air rifles. Milbro Caledonian works well also but might be tough to source in the US.

torrens

I have found that Bisley practice shoot well in my .22 Mk 3.

Thanks gents!

Your replies are much appreciated! I am mostly a .177 shooter but own one .22 Mk 3, with another really beautiful example on the way. So I hope to put this advice to practical use very soon...

Quote Originally Posted by MDriskill View Post
    Your replies are much appreciated! I am mostly a .177 shooter but own one .22 Mk 3, with another really beautiful example on the way. So I hope to put this advice to practical use very soon...
    Hello,

I also primarily shoot early British spring air rifles using light (pistol weight) .177 pellets. The most successful, for me anyway, have been H&N Match although these are relatively expensive with RWS Hobby being a cheaper alternative. I purposely chose .177 as this is the calibre normally recognised as being most suited to precision paper target shooting which is my particular interest.

I do however have a Webley Mk3 & a BSA Mk1 Airsporter both in .22 calibre which have surprised me with their accuracy relative to the smaller calibre.

The largest calibre air rifle I shoot is a pre war Webley Mk2 "Service" in .25 calibre. This large calibre was known as "Rook & Rabbit" due to the intended purpose of small game shooting. Again, I was impressed with grouping that could be achieved with this large pellet, at least out to 25 yards.

So, although .177 remains my preferred calibre for target shooting, .22 should not be underestimated.

Regards

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 25-03-2013 at 01:06 PM.