Thread: poss webley rebel ,probe fault!

rustington/littlehampton,riviera of the south

poss webley rebel ,probe fault!

please bear in mind this could be a fault localised to my or a few webley rebels!! but having sent around 500 pellets down the barrel any fault should emerge which it has,when loading a pellet i was finding it more and more difficult to push the probe in to its lock position till it was nearly impossible and i noticed that the pellets were becoming more deformed as the problem became worse, leading to the conclusion that something had gone out of line.so in true "gggr" style i took apart the loading probe mech on the kitchen table and inspected each part, looking for the culprit which wasn't that obvious to start, but turning over the probe" lock plate" it was seriously dented where the probe springs back and is stopped by a hardened pin against the stop plate the plate is not hardened!! so i filed and polished the dent out of the plate:greased and reassembled now shes back to her old self and what seems to occur is the dent is running the probe to high pushing the pellet into the top of the breech ; this also results in the probe o ring having a flat shaved into it! something to look out for ,bit of a shame as its been faultless and accurate to.
    [FWB124s]-[ORIG45]-[relum rescue ctr]
    I CAN RESIST EVERYTHING EXCEPT AN FWB,

The same thing happened to mine, it would seem that the hardening on the catch plate is not too good. I cured mine by shortening the bolt spring, as it is too strong and really smacks the bolt into the catch plate.

Pete.

yes that makes sense pete i will do that, but i will miss that positive clunk on opening, have you also noticed it seems better to load the pellet barrel up, as it seems to regularly fall in askew and the probe then deforms it.

Bob,
    I found the oposite, I had to load mine with the barrel pointing down and just dropped the pellet in, the probe didn'really work well. I found the fault. I removed the bolt and bolt catch plate and looked into the breech from the rear. The reason my pellet probe mangled the pellets was because the breech end of the barrel, where it meets the pellet chanel in the plastic receiver, is a smaller diameter than the chanel so the pellet catches on the lip of the barrel.
    I cured it by making a chamfer tool the same diameter as the pellet probe chanel, then slid this in from the rear and put a chamfer on the end of the barrel so that it matched the pellet chanel diameter. Now the probe slides the pellets in perfectly and accuracy has improved.
    This is not an issolated problem.

Pete.

got that,bit annoying that these teething probs have arisen as its my favourite back garden plinker.but hopefully this cross referencing will sort it out.
    what pellets are you using out of curiosity?.

Quote Originally Posted by red bob View Post
    got that,bit annoying that these teething probs have arisen as its my favourite back garden plinker.but hopefully this cross referencing will sort it out.
    what pellets are you using out of curiosity?.
    Mine likes bisley lrg and crosman premier light. It is .177 by the way.
    Pete.

rebel probe

As well as fitting a weaker spring I'd just cushion the bolt end with your thumb as you release it, stops noise & damage. A tip from my innova days.

thanks lads much appreciated .regds bob.