Thread: Webley Osprey .22 Valuation sought

Webley Osprey .22 Valuation sought

Hi,

as a relatively new user to this forum I am, in the first instance seeking clarification regarding the specific model in the photographs below and secondly, seek a valuation.
    The rifle is owned by me, and is in full working order. The little research I have conducted suggests this may be of a 'target' version due to the hexagonal fitted block at the muzzle.

Any views/opinions/thought/suggestion would be most welcome

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94357551@N06/

Many Thanks

Paul

It's a standard Osprey in rather sorry condition.

Perhaps you don't yet have access to Sales although there probably have been some listed under Collectors, but an Osprey that really needs nothing doing seems to be worth around £120 so take it from there.

Yours needs a reblue (£60) (and with rust that heavy some pitting may not come out) and stock refinishing which will either be totally uneconomical if someone else is doing it, or will cost very little indeed if you or any buyer is.

I wouldn't really, but you could say I'd pay around £65-£75 for that. Sadly probably worth more as parts.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

I'd agree with the above £65-£75 in that condition. Personally I would strip it to bits rub it down with wet & dry & spray paint it. Unless your desperate for the money, just as well keep it for what its worth, a nice back garden/bell target gun.

John
    Law of any kind only affects those willing to abide by it.

Thanks kindly for the response,

It isn't something that I am desperate to offload, but I dont envisage having the right kind of space to use it again for at least 3 years, so it's probably better in someone elses hands rather than mine!

As a newbie to the whole field (some realllly obsessed people out there I've noticed ) Not too sure what reblue means, and whilst I may have the patience to strip the gun away from the stock, sand it down and varnish, from what I have read the over engineered structure of these models means that they are a bit fiddly to reconstruct once dismantled..... Would you share these views or perhaps offer whether it would be worth undertaking a DIY job on myself?

Thanks again

Paul

There is nothing complicated about 95% of springers, and that includes the simple Osprey.

Naturally mechanical aptitude is always required, and even more naturally we have no idea of yours

But removing the action from the stock is simplicity itself, remove the forward stock screw on the underside of the stock fore-end and the retention screw that also secures the trigger guard, the one at the front. The stock then just comes off.

Re-bluing (blacking) is not generally a DIY affair if you may not be up to taking the gun apart some bluers will do this for you. try contacting RichardH on here and ask, if you wish to take this further.

BTW, it means re-finishing the metalwork to as-new condition if the rust is not that deep that it can't be polished out. If it cant be at least the pitting will be blued so barely visible.

The stock is best lightly sanded till all old varnish is removed (or use Nitromors, with care) and the dents are steamed out. Then refinish with rattle-can coloured lacquer (varnish).
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS