Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W 586 with .22 barrel

S&W 586 with .22 barrel

Hi,
    I am thinking of selling some of my pistol collection as these days I'm getting too shaky to hit the target without resting on something.
    The first one on the list is this 6" Smith and Wesson it has in addition to the .177 standard barrel a .22 barrel and a .22 magazine. It's not had much use since it came into my hands because at my time of life I find it too heavy for comfort. I would like to know what would be a fair price for it ?

There are a few pictures of the pistol here: http://www.pbase.com/davecthomson/sw_586

Thanks for looking...Dave...

S&W 586 - A few Questions ;)

Hi There,

I'm quite interested in this - I've been after a good Smith 586 for a while. The trouble is brand new ones look like they've been thrown together, with mis-aligned magazines and forcing cones.

So, I'm quite a new member here; but am genuinely interested in this pistol. May I ask a few questions :-

1 - How logn have you had it? Did you own it from new - or do you know how old it is?
    2 - Looking at it from above, does the magazine look central against with reference to the rest of the pistol?
    3 - How would you describe the general condition - say out of 10?

I can get a good idea from the pictures, just interested in the overall condition.

Would you accept £120?

Hi,
    the first thing is this is an appraisal thread, I'm asking the members what would be a fair price, its not a sales thread, I may decide not to sell it.
    To answer your questions. No I haven't owned it from new and I have no idea how old it is, but its one of the older shiny models and everything on it lines up as it should. Condition out of 10, 8-9 there are a few tiny marks from normal usage no scratches or gouges.
    It would be against the forum rules for me to accept an offer on this thread but I can tell you that the .22 barrel and magazine cost me £50...
    Regards...Dave...

An Apology

Please accept my sincere apology for jumping the gun - if you'll pardon the pun!

I've been after a good Smith 586 for a while now;

After buying a new one which wouldn't shoot straight (appalling cylinder/forcing cone alignment) and then checking 4 other brand new ones, only to discover the same thing! I may have somewhat bypassed your evaluation request and headed straight into an offer.

I've had and sold a few of the 'shiney' versions (in all 3 barrel lengths).

Never had nor heard of alignment troubles with the older ones, so perhaps the quality has dropped a bit lately...

Value - working on 'two thirds of new price' perhaps £160. for yours Dave?

HTH - Phil

As above 2/3 of new if in good condition about right. You may achieve a better overall price selling .22 barrel and mag separately to the pistol.

Most 586/686's tend to go for between £130 and £160 depending on condition, box, number of mags etc

There are very few .22 repeaters on the market, so I would have thought that this pistol would have fetched a good price, certainly more than has been suggested.

Ian

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    I'd agree it might be better to split and sell separately the .22 conversion.

It would also help this to to either say who did the modification or describe how it was done as barrels can get very left with very thin walls and there's more than one way of opening out the mags and some are better than others...
    Last edited by harvey_s; 28-03-2013 at 04:17 PM.

I agree with Jassi.
    Start at £200.
    Assuming it is in good working order in both calibres.
    Dont take less than £180.

Split may be a good idea as suggested.
    But then again you need a buyer with a matching Smith.
    Which counts me out.
    Hypothetically, for the Moderators

Fairly uncommon though, and someone fancying a .22 repeater (and I suspect many do) might well be prepared to spend £200.

They are £190.99p brand new in my local-ish gunshop: http://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/...SON+586+6inch/

The big Q is whether it has been done well and works well.
    If the answers are yes then I think its worth a premium.

After all a new 6 inch one in matt is £200 plus.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    I think £200 might be a little optimistic...but theres always one out there somewhere

S/H S&W's generally go for £130-£140 posted (ones I've seen posted at £150 seemingly haven't sold) add in your .22 conversion at £40ish given that you already said it cost you £50 and so perhaps £170-£180 posted would be my guess...

Some more pictures...

Many thanks for all the replies,
    a couple of points were made that need to be answered.
    I don't know who did the conversion but its a very good one, the barrel is a heavier type than the original I tried to show this in the photo's.
    The magazine is an original shiny type and again its well made, it likes Hobbies, I have tried Super domes but found they didn't seat well and sometimes were left in the mag but with hobbies no problems.
    I fired a mag of .22s and one of .177 at a couple of Murphy's cans this afternoon the results can be seen in the photo's. The .22s made the can leap around a bit and tore it up quite a lot, the .177s not as much. The pistol works very well with no problems, lots of fun...

Here's a link to some more pictures: http://www.pbase.com/davecthomson/sw_586

Thanks for looking Dave...

Yes, .22s do that to a can
    I converted an 8 inch Crosman 357 to .22 with much the same effect. Easier job than the 586 as there is no barrel screw threads to cut and being plastic, the mags are easier to do as well.
    Best of luck with your sale.

Ian