Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S&W 586 with .22 barrel

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldandshaky View Post
    Many thanks for all the replies,
    a couple of points were made that need to be answered.
    I don't know who did the conversion but its a very good one, the barrel is a heavier type than the original I tried to show this in the photo's....
    Its not the barrel thickness inside the shroud that's the problem - its that if the same thread is used to locate the barrel into the breech, its the breech section that gets really thin...it'll manage just about, but the barrel wall at that point is mucho thin and just not very 'manly'.
    The other potential issue with unknown conversions is whether the mag has been indexed accurately when its been opened up, but if you've used it and it shoots well still then its obviously OK

Once again,
    many thanks for all the help and comments.
    I have decided to sell the pistol at what I hope is a fair price and will put it into the for sale thread...
    Regards...Dave...

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Its not the barrel thickness inside the shroud that's the problem - its that if the same thread is used to locate the barrel into the breech, its the breech section that gets really thin...it'll manage just about, but the barrel wall at that point is mucho thin and just not very 'manly'.
    I've done a few dozen conversions and none suffer the problem you describe there's actually plenty of material provided it's machined accurately and correctly, poor cuts / rubbish lathe / incompetent machinist could result in a delicate forcing cone though,
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    I've done a few dozen conversions and none suffer the problem you describe there's actually plenty of material provided it's machined accurately and correctly, poor cuts / rubbish lathe / incompetent machinist could result in a delicate forcing cone though,
    Really?... I obviously made the mistake of believing your previous post below...

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    It's definitely possible, I'll be doing just this with one of mine this year, probably the 6".
    The standard .177 barrel has a max .9mm/min .64mm wall thickness in the breech area, a .22 with the same thread to fit the frame will have a max .4mm/min .14mm wall thickness in the breech area.
    I'm not happy with 0.4mm of wall thickness, it will work but will not be robust.
    I'll be machining the frame for an oversize thread to allow a decent wall thickness for the .22 and an adapter sleeve for the original barrel.

amazing

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    I agree with Jassi.
    Start at £200.
    Assuming it is in good working order in both calibres.
    Dont take less than £180.

Split may be a good idea as suggested.
    But then again you need a buyer with a matching Smith.
    Which counts me out.
    Hypothetically, for the Moderators
    why not buy new?. come on folks its second hand no come backs etc

Well, you can't buy new in .22, so unless you do the mod yourself, or pay someone to do it, its going to be second hand

Older second hand pistols are often better quality than new ones.

Ian

Aaagh!

You rotten lot!

I want a .22 586 now, Bugger!

I have a Crosman 2210 Repeatair in nickel plastic,

Looks a bit like an extended barrel 1911 good fun, though the
    Mags are plastic and Crap!

Good Luck with your sale OAS,

Cheers Bernard.