Thread: Brocok Contour

Brocok Contour

I first came across the Brocock Contour when I was searching for a rifle for Deadlyson who was only nine at the time. The little Brocock turned out to be the perfect soloution for him as it was possibly the lightest sub 12ft lbs PCP air rifle on the market, making it both easy and safe for him to handle. I have seen a few smaller kids using S400's and S200's and struggling to keep them held in a straight line to the target on standing shots. Deadlyson shoots H.F.T along side myself and the Little Brocock manages thirty good shots on a fill, and is as accurate as any rifle in it's price range. One thing the rifle definately needs is a suppressor as the muzzle crack was loud enough to leave you wondering whether or not he was hitting the face plate of knockover targets. The rifles extreme light weight also made it a fine hunting tool for myself, and a few rabbits and hares took an extreme dislike to me and the little Brocock. Maintenance is also a doodle as there is one main stock bolt to remove to dry and re-oil the rifle for it's next outing (DRYING AND OILING RIFLES IS VERY COMMON ON THIS SIDE OF THE BORDER ). There are a few other variations of the rifle, such as multi-shot and XL (longer air tube and barrel giving more shots). I would, and have recommended this rifle to many parents now, resulting in there being three kids in our club shooting them to good effect.
    Deadlydad

Nice review, Thanks.

I bought the XL version last year after injuring my right hand. The light weight and dainty thumbhole stock did not add any aggravation to the already painful wrist!

The stock is a little short for me so I have added a length adjustable butt plate. Reach to trigger is now an inch more and I think that would be more suitable for adults.

That extra stock length also enabled my putting a longish scope on (Mamba lite 3-12), with reach forward mounts. The original stock length and short scope rail limited the choice of scope considerably.

Very accurate outfit now, but the light weight has its downside when taking standing shots on a windy day!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve A View Post
    Nice review, Thanks.

I bought the XL version last year after injuring my right hand. The light weight and dainty thumbhole stock did not add any aggravation to the already painful wrist!

The stock is a little short for me so I have added a length adjustable butt plate. Reach to trigger is now an inch more and I think that would be more suitable for adults.

That extra stock length also enabled my putting a longish scope on (Mamba lite 3-12), with reach forward mounts. The original stock length and short scope rail limited the choice of scope considerably.

Very accurate outfit now, but the light weight has its downside when taking standing shots on a windy day!
    How many full power shots do you get to a fill ? is it .177 ?
    Deadlydad

Hares

Can you shoot Hares with an air rifle in Scotland ?

Quote Originally Posted by series2a View Post
    Can you shoot Hares with an air rifle in Scotland ?

The farmer on the permissions did not want to see any hares on his land to avoid having guys with dogs coursing, and scaring his beasts, and they were abundant. A properly taken shot (between the eye and ear) even with a .177 pellet dispatches a hare no problem. You could, at the time purchase a game licence from the local post office in order to sell them to a butcher.
    Last edited by Deadlydad; 26-03-2013 at 12:17 AM.
    Deadlydad

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlydad View Post
    How many full power shots do you get to a fill ? is it .177 ?
    Yes it's .177 and the 6 shot magazine.

My chrono only works well in good light and for the last few months I have only shot the gun on the clubs indoor range. Lighting is not good enough for the chrono to give reliable results.

When I first bought the gun last summer I did chrono it with various pellets to ensure legality. Also checked that I could get at least 40 reasonably consistent shots to allow a round of HFT.

As soon as we get a decent bit of weather I plan to plot the power curve accurately. No sign of said "good weather" happening any time soon!!!!

On the 20yd indoor range one hole 6 shot groups are the norm with AA Fields - but I get a few flyers. Maybe unsorted pellets or maybe just me as I still have a gammy right hand which seems to develop a "pulse" when it gets achy!
    Last edited by Steve A; 26-03-2013 at 07:53 AM.

Nice review of I think an overlooked gun sometimes, with a lot of people immediately pointing to the AA200 when junior PCPs are mentioned.
    My daughter also has one of these as her gun and they are a joy to shoot. We put a leapers bug buster on hers and it complements rifle perfectly as its so small.
    I plotted about 25 decent shots over the crono before power started to drop off the curve in .177.

The farmer on the permissions did not want to see any hares on his land to avoid having guys with dogs coursing, and scaring his beasts, and they were abundant. A properly taken shot (between the eye and ear) even with a .177 pellet dispatches a hare no problem. You could, at the time purchase a game licence from the local post office in order to sell them to a butcher.
    The Wildlife and Countryside act 1981 says different would check if I were you

http://www.ateo.org.uk/page25.html
    Last edited by series2a; 26-03-2013 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by series2a View Post
    The Wildlife and Countryside act 1981 says different would check if I were you

http://www.ateo.org.uk/page25.html
    I will
    Deadlydad

Principal quarry for air rifles

BIRDS: (covered by the general licences - for details visit www.basc.org.uk/en/shooting/general-licences.cfm) crows, rooks, jackdaws, magpies, jays, woodpigeon, collared doves, feral pigeons.
    MAMMALS: brown rats, grey squirrels, stoats, mink and rabbits
    just got this and mink is on the list, i think its a bit of a grey area , so hare ,mink ? its not adviced to shoot hares with a airgun is how i read it, ive shot them before with shotgun and there only fit for dog food , horrible strong tasting meat, yuk
    maybe hare is classed as game to some and a pest to others .
    Last edited by pward; 27-03-2013 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pward View Post
    Principal quarry for air rifles

BIRDS: (covered by the general licences - for details visit www.basc.org.uk/en/shooting/general-licences.cfm) crows, rooks, jackdaws, magpies, jays, woodpigeon, collared doves, feral pigeons.
    MAMMALS: brown rats, grey squirrels, stoats, mink and rabbits
    just got this and mink is on the list, i think its a bit of a grey area , so hare ,mink ? its not adviced to shoot hares with a airgun is how i read it, ive shot them before with shotgun and there only fit for dog food , horrible strong tasting meat, yuk
    maybe hare is classed as game to some and a pest to others .
    Everyone I have discussed this with is under the impression that it is legal. Whether you should take hares with airguns is often debated on forums, but I have never seen anyone question the legality of it before. I could find nothing on the BASC site suggesting it was illegal, however I will continue to look into this matter. I am not fool enough to think I know everything.
    Deadlydad

Everyone I have discussed this with is under the impression that it is legal. Whether you should take hares with airguns is often debated on forums, but I have never seen anyone question the legality of it before. I could find nothing on the BASC site suggesting it was illegal, however I will continue to look into this matter. I am not fool enough to think I know everything.
    im not saying youve done wrong ,and if the farmer as told you there pests i wouldnt worry too much , like i said it looks to be a grey area, and most would do same i imagine its down to you and the farmer and really isnt anybodys buisness what you do on your permission,certanly not mine , ive looked into it before ,and saw a post were a fox was shot in 12ftlb and its the same a grey area but lad got slaughtered for saying he shot one and killed it out right, but i found nothing on the subject to say it was illegal on the net,? thought i was just helping with basc. link
    Last edited by pward; 27-03-2013 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pward View Post
    im not saying youve done wrong ,and if the farmer as told you there pests i wouldnt worry too much , like i said it looks to be a grey area, and most would do same i imagine its down to you and the farmer and really isnt anybodys buisness what you do on your permission,certanly not mine , ive looked into it before ,and saw a post were a fox was shot in 12ftlb and its the same a grey area but lad got slaughtered for saying he shot one and killed it out right, but i found nothing on the subject to say it was illegal on the net,? thought i was just helping with basc. link

No probs mate, I contacted SGA (Scottish Gamekeepers Association) yesterday and asked them the question, to which he replied it was not against the law to take a hare with an airgun. I had previously checked the BASC site myself and found nothing suggesting it was illegal. I also had a look at the link put up by the other fella who reckoned it was a crime, and I think they were expressing their opinion on the matter.
    Deadlydad

crime???

No probs mate, I contacted SGA (Scottish Gamekeepers Association) yesterday and asked them the question, to which he replied it was not against the law to take a hare with an airgun. I had previously checked the BASC site myself and found nothing suggesting it was illegal. I also had a look at the link put up by the other fella who reckoned it was a crime, and I think they were expressing their opinion on the matter.
    No one is suggesting that its a crime to shoot a Hare but Its not the sort of thing I would advertise, No one i know would try to take one with a 12fpe, I think an fac would be more humane, each to his own though.