Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Calling all you Warrior owners

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    Hi John,
    You have the number of the later model, but I can not find any number on the later one to add to the list.

ccdjg is online now Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    Hi John,
    You have the number of the later model, but I can not find any number on the later one to add to the list.

Hi Pete,

Did you mean to say "...cannot find any number on the earlier one", ( i.e. the one with the half-moon trigger guard)? If so, then no problem, as none of them were serial numbered .

Cheers,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    I have checked my early non-serial numbered Warrior with the half-moon trigger guard, and it has vulcanite grips. ( You can confirm this by applying a red hot needle to the (inside!) surface of the grip and sniffing the fumes. Vulcanite gives a burnt rubber smell, horn gives a burnt hair smell). In addition, as you say, horn can show signs of delamination, as it was made by hot pressing peices of horn together before it was stained.

I only have anecdotal information about the use of horn, but I definitely also had a Warrior several years ago where the grips were delaminating slightly and the black finish was wearing off along the layers. Unfortunately the gun is long gone and I did not record any details at the time. As the first version of the Warrior was not serial numbered, it will probably be impossible to determine when the use of horn was abandoned. Even so, it would be interesting to hear of anyone else who has a Warrior witn horn grips, as it will give some idea of how common they are.
    I tried the burn and sniff test and got the distinctive burnt hair smell so they are definitely horn. Under a sufficiently bright light they are slightly translucent with an effect similar to tiger eye - it’s almost a shame they are stained. Given that my Warrior is a second series with a serial number I can only assume that the change happened later in its production history.

Hi Pete,

Did you mean to say "...cannot find any number on the earlier one", ( i.e. the one with the half-moon trigger guard)? If so, then no problem, as none of them were serial numbered .

Cheers,
    John
    Thank you for confirming that.

Quote Originally Posted by DrGunn View Post
    I tried the burn and sniff test and got the distinctive burnt hair smell so they are definitely horn. Under a sufficiently bright light they are slightly translucent with an effect similar to tiger eye - it’s almost a shame they are stained. Given that my Warrior is a second series with a serial number I can only assume that the change happened later in its production history.
    But the odd thing is that my first series model, with half-moon trigger guard and no serial number, which must surely predate yours, has a vulcanite grip. I would have assumed that when Frank Clarke handed over the pistol to Accles and Shelvoke for bulk manufacture, the use of horn grips would have been abandoned at that stage, and probably even well before. It looks like there may have been some random use of old stock grips from time to time, perhaps when supplies of the vulcanite grips were short.

Here is a very late number for you: 6051

It has the usual markings, ie same as No 4812 for example, except for the addition of 'MADE IN ENGLAND' stamped on the inside of the grip. Not seen this on any other Warrior?

The pistol in near new condition for the record.

I have 2101 in .177 with recurved trigger guard

I have a later one, with recurved trigger guard as well. The serial is a bit of a mystery, as the last digit looks like an 'e'. A stamp error probably.
    Collection: vintage air pistols & air rifles / vintage air gun accessories
    Facebook groups: vintage air guns 1. Webley, 2 BSA, 3. Haenel, 4. Weihrauch, 5. Diana

Quote Originally Posted by slug-gun View Post
    Here is a very late number for you: 6051

It has the usual markings, ie same as No 4812 for example, except for the addition of 'MADE IN ENGLAND' stamped on the inside of the grip. Not seen this on any other Warrior?

The pistol in near new condition for the record.
    That's a great find Chris. It now holds the highest serial number record, and could have been one of the very last batch out of the factory, if not the last one itself. The unusual marking is a bonus and certainly a new one on me.

I am now in a position to put together a table summarising the information contained in this thread, so could you tell me the calibre of your pistol just to complete the record?

Thanks,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I have a later one, with recurved trigger guard as well. The serial is a bit of a mystery, as the last digit looks like an 'e'. A stamp error probably.
    Hi Dutch, It is definitely a '6' as I have serial number 4160 with an identical stamp defect on the '6'.

Late to the party, but 6001 also has made in England stamped on the front of the grip

Well actually it has M[illegible]ENGLAND.

Edit: .177 Also blade rather than bead front sight
    Last edited by Jerry Cornelius; 01-01-2022 at 02:00 PM.
    Morally flawed

Hi Dutch, It is definitely a '6' as I have serial number 4160 with an identical stamp defect on the '6'.
    Ha, Thnx! Weird deviation though.
    Collection: vintage air pistols & air rifles / vintage air gun accessories
    Facebook groups: vintage air guns 1. Webley, 2 BSA, 3. Haenel, 4. Weihrauch, 5. Diana

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cornelius View Post
    Late to the party, but 6001 also has made in England stamped on the front of the grip

Well actually it has M[illegible]ENGLAND.

Edit: .177 Also blade rather than bead front sight
    Thanks Jerry. Duly noted in the list.