Thread: Crosman 2240 or HW45

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by blooregard View Post
    The Crosman is nice and cheap, buy it now to scratch the itch and maybe move up to a HW45 after a bit.

I have both, the Crosman is what I am shooting a lot at the moment, the HW45 has not been out in a while. Both are great pistols but the Crosman is so much more accessible as a first pistol. If you do start buying pistols then you will end up with an HW45 eventually anyway.

I don't find the Crosman totally recoilless though, there is a distinct muzzle flip straight out of the box. Any mods that up the weight soon sort this out (though it might be psychological or bad form on my part).
    /\ This, they're not really in the same league but both have their charms.
    Don't know what your situation is regarding neighbors, but the 2240 is LOUD. However you can put a mod on it easy enough. The HW45 is less obnoxious for back garden shooting, and as above the better pistol. You can spend well in excess of the price of a 2nd hand HW45 on buying and modding a 2240. I shudder to think what mine has cost me...
    By all means if you like to tinker 2240s are great, an end in itself really, but as above I have not found them to be recoiless either - as well as the muzzle flip, the weighty hammer seems to play a part too. When modding mine I gained as much efficiency as possible elsewhere so that I could lighten the hammer spring. All a bit pointless now it's got a stock on it but hey ho
    The famed hold sensitivity of the HW45 is much overstated IMO. As long as you don't hold it any-old-how, they are not difficult to shoot.
    Good deals with these members

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    /\ This, they're not really in the same league but both have their charms.
    Don't know what your situation is regarding neighbors, but the 2240 is LOUD. However you can put a mod on it easy enough. The HW45 is less obnoxious for back garden shooting, and as above the better pistol. You can spend well in excess of the price of a 2nd hand HW45 on buying and modding a 2240. I shudder to think what mine has cost me...
    By all means if you like to tinker 2240s are great, an end in itself really, but as above I have not found them to be recoiless either - as well as the muzzle flip, the weighty hammer seems to play a part too. When modding mine I gained as much efficiency as possible elsewhere so that I could lighten the hammer spring. All a bit pointless now it's got a stock on it but hey ho
    The famed hold sensitivity of the HW45 is much overstated IMO. As long as you don't hold it any-old-how, they are not difficult to shoot.
    Good comment, pretty much agreeing with my own findings. All things being equal the 2240 should be a lot better on paper but it just does not stack out that way. Effects creep in that you have no control over during a given shooting session. Cooling from gas shot after gas shot....daily air temperature fluctuation altering vel by upto 2ftlbs at extremes and gas running down when your not always expecting it.
    Sort the 45 dieseling issue out and you have control

I own both.
    Love them both for different reasons.
    If I had to choose just the one, however, it would be the HW45.
    Findings / experiences as above.

Tough one, isn't it?........Buy both!!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!