Thread: air pistol

air pistol

Hi all I've been shooting for years, but I would like to start air pistol target shooting, can any one recommend a cheapish pistol to start with, some thing with decent sights and not a springer I was looking at a gamo single stroke pnumatic, can any one tell me the range they have and do they have any recoil, precharged are a bit expensive to start with any help appreciated.
    I love my country, but fear my government

Have a look at the Gamo Compact, a fine starter target pistol ( recoiless single stroke pneumatic),that can be had for around £150- £170 new.

Pete.

Tau 7. Great value for money.
    Gamo Compact isn a real target pistol.
    If you want a SSP, you can look at FWB100 , IZH61, etc
    Any SSP is recoilless. Rangdepends mostly on yr skills
    ATB,
    yana

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    With just a little fettling and no expenditure beyond the most basic of hand tools the Gamo Compact can be made into a fine level club shooter for under £100 if starting off S/H.
    Beyond that there is the Tau7 which although very respectable indeed - does require CO2 carts.
    The Izh has been mentioned and is very accurate and then there is the FAS AP604 both very capable SSP's.
    Some may recommend the Daisy 7xx models and the odd Crosman - but for competitive shooting they are inferior full stop.

My strong recommendation would be to save your money at this stage and join a local target club - they almost certainly will have club guns you can try at no cost and the members will universally be most willing to share their experiences with you, let you try out their own guns for size and provide some coaching into the bargain - this will save you loads of money in the long run, believe me

Good shooting
    Harvey

Kloppville- 10,533 miles from Lake Mulwala.
    Quote Originally Posted by kindwarf View Post
    Hi all I've been shooting for years, but I would like to start air pistol target shooting, can any one recommend a cheapish pistol to start with, some thing with decent sights and not a springer I was looking at a gamo single stroke pnumatic, can any one tell me the range they have and do they have any recoil, precharged are a bit expensive to start with any help appreciated.
    Why not a springer?

The Original 6 can be had for around £100 quid, and it's recoilless!
    It's also accurate enough to start you off!
    Open sights mind, so it may not fill your needs.

HTH.

Roy.
    If it moves.....shoot it!..If it don't move.....shoot it in case it tries to!!!
    Light travels faster than sound....this is why I appear bright until you hear me speak!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kindwarf View Post
    PM sent.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

FAS600 series are supposed to be good, but not sure of price. Understand Gamos are reasonable good gun to start with, however if you could stretch your budget a little to a s/h Baikal IZH46M (£250-300) probably a better bet. However as someone else said try a few out at your local club to get a better idea.
    Regards, Phil

i have to disagree with harvey about the "inferior" daisy 7xx target pistols.

the daisy i have when I bench rested it to set the sights and the accuracy is virtually as good as my fwb80.
    another thing i will say is that the 747/777 have walther barrels plus all the daisy7xx have mostly metal construction unlike the gamo.

i had a gamo compact and i got rid of it due to inconsistant grouping which was not down to me.

however i do agree with trying out other peoples pistols so that you know what suits you.... i bought a crosman 1377 with the money which i am better with

Just posted about my Webley Alecto http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-new-Alecto...
    sportswatch.me |cocoamedia.co.uk
    AA S400F Carbine 1.77 modded with UK Neil Air stripper,Rowan Trigger MTC Viper 6-24 x 56 SCB | AA TX200 1.77, MTC Viper 10x44 SCB | Webley Alecto 1.77, Hawke 30 Red Dot.

Weihrauch

The HW40 is a nice accurate pistol to start off with. Single stroke pneumatic and has a nice trigger too. I had one for about 2 years before upgrading to a Feinwerkbau 55P.

Andrew.
    No , you don't need a better guitar. You need some lessons.