Thread: How accurate should a modern PCP air rifle be?

How accurate should a modern PCP air rifle be?

As state above really. Also, how much should the pellet deviate off course over increasing distances until the pellet hits the ground again, ie the pellet won't drift left or right by any measurable distance at 40 yards, but at 70 yards it will drift left or right about X millimetres, and by 150 yard it will be off course by around..... Etc.

Thanks

PS I have a Daystate Airwolf, so if anyone knows how that particular rifle should perform that would be even better.

Hi lee everything depends on conditions wind etc a light breeze at 55 yards will drift inpact off around an inch or so . I have a daystate panther in .177 exactly the same electronic action as your wolf , I can shoot groups at 55 on a still day that can be covered by a 2Op piece easily and I wold not rate myself as a good shot , there are people on here that can shoot much better than that , .22 pellets at 4O yard or more that sort of thing hope this helps . mike
    A few nice rifles

Hi,

The smallest 5 shot group ever shot during our 100m matches was 11.8mm (0.46 Inch) . It was shot by a Theoben .

ATB
    emi
    Last edited by 100m airgun; 17-04-2013 at 05:51 PM.
    100mairgun.nl (TRANSLATOR on top! )

Thanks for the advice guys

Actually I think my scope is knackered... I haven't had a proper check yet, but after a chat with Dave at SCR, I know how to test for it now and have had a very quick go.

I have just had so many problems that in a sense I'm pretty happy now because all I need to do is replace it and I have my beloved rifle back! (I hope)

thanks again

PS, I can't believe I'm happy to discover my scope is scrap!!!! Lol

WOW, that is incredible.... STILL havent really had a chance to try mine out properly. It's been sooo windy here, shooting at Kibworth yesterday was just a waste of lead, could barely stand.
    John Bowkett had some 1" 50yd groups with my R10 mk2 with AA 4.52s but it was all over the map with lighter pellets. Ordered some 4.53s has he reckoned that would aid things. Gave me lots of info on why which I may post seperately!

East Midlands, 6 chains from the graveyard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee456 View Post
    As state above really. Also, how much should the pellet deviate off course over increasing distances until the pellet hits the ground again, ie the pellet won't drift left or right by any measurable distance at 40 yards, but at 70 yards it will drift left or right about X millimetres, and by 150 yard it will be off course by around..... Etc.

Thanks

PS I have a Daystate Airwolf, so if anyone knows how that particular rifle should perform that would be even better.
    There's a whole range of issues this could be, as above wind can be an issue, also as the range increases just a slight change in your head position can have a marked affect, then there's cant to be considered. I know that the biggest deviation from my .22 FAC AirWolf MVT is not due to scope or rifle, but my marksmanship.

Like hurricane says loads of factors involved, slightest wind will push the pellet off target up and down as well as left and right, but the further out you go the bigger the spread and it not propotional, ie. if you get 10mm ctc @ 50yard dont expect 20mm ctc at 100 yards.

Barrels have rifleing to aid stability, in that normal air gun ranges are short, the twist rate in airgun barrel is quiet fast. As the pellet leaves the barrel it is spinning at 30,000 rpm (ish). that spin acts a gyroscope holding the pellet on track BUT the diabalo shape of a pellet has most weight (COG) at the front so the nose of the pellet has more rotational inertia than the skirt. Gravity tries to pull the pellet down while it in flight, the nose of the pellet resist that for better than the skirt, at some point along the pellet path gravity will overcome the gryoscopic stability of the skirt and the pellet will start to wobble, throwing the pellet off course.

Pellet shape, lock time, barrel length, twist rate, pellet speed,and about 1,000 other things effect the accuracy of your gun, but ther are a few things you can do to improve accuracy at long range .

Longer barrel are better than shorter, heavy pellet are better than lighter, faster is better than slower, pellets that have a more centred COG are better than nose heavy, most (but not all)100+ yard shooter choose larger cals ataround 900fts.

Bb