Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re Posting an air rifle via Parcel Force.

Re Posting an air rifle via Parcel Force.

I was trying to find out the details about posting an air rifle. I visited the post office and was told 'no, not possible' and phoned Parcel Force and still being told 'no, not possible' or 'yes, if you drop it at our depot'.

Eventually I managed to speak to the manager of the managing directors office. I explained everything and she gave me all the details.

I asked for it in writing so she emailed me over the following:

Hi Adele

On the 2nd April 2013 we made an alteration to our terms and conditions regarding the sending of air weapons through our Parcelforce Worldwide network.

We are not changing our policy for any class 1 firearms – so they are still prohibited on all Parcelforce Worldwide services. However we will now accept certain air weapons (defined as a low powered air rifles, air guns or air pistols). Please note the goods must be accepted at a Post Office counter and our Express 48 service must be used. Also the goods are covered up to a maximum of £100.00 for compensation and no enhanced compensation is available on goods of this nature.

Thank you for contacting us and I hope the above clarifies matters for you. Please be assured the previous information provided has been taken up with the manager of our Bristol depot as a training issue.

Regards

Diane Pickering

Manager, Managing Director’s Office

Customer Service & Customer Experience

Parcelforce Worldwide

I have posted it in case it helps anyone else having problems as it seems most staff at Parcel Force are not aware that they now accept air rifles. She also pointed out that most post office staff are asking if you want enhanced compensation. Even if it is purchased it will not be covered so may as well save yourself a few quid.

Cheers Ben

Ben,
    Thanks for posting this. We were aware of the new regs regarding Parcelforce 48 but were not aware of the £100 limit on compensation. !!!
    Pete.

Thumbs up Thanks

Thank's for the posting. Shame about the compensation.!!!!

Thanks for posting this information. That's the first I've heard about a £100 maximum compensation.

I wonder how they can justify this? If they are willing to carry air rifles, why not insure them like any other goods? Are they suggesting their value is harder to verify than other goods? Surely that can't be true. They also seem to be suggesting air rifles can't be collected from the sender's home like other parcels?

Assuming the above is correct (and let's face it, the left hand doesn't seem to know what the right is doing here)...

...it looks like the same anti-gun people with the Royal Mail (Parcelforce's parent company) that devised the attempted ban on firearm parts, airguns etc last summer are at work here - trying to frustrate us with regulations where official policy wouldn't get past the regulator, Ofcom.

The BASC has the muscle to get its lawyers onto this question, perhaps DavidBASC can tell us what they are doing to clarify what the situation is and improve it if this ridiculous cap on compensation is true?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

I wonder if it's possible to obtain additional cover from a third party?

For example, if you are a NSRA member you have cover for your own rifles but I haven't looked up to see if that covers unaccompanied transit.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

so whats the alternative then?

Do DPD, DHL, FEDEX for example take air rifles...and are they covered for more compensation?

I've come across a problem with RM Recorded Delivery recently; they only pay out a max of £48 - and if you declare its a sound moderator (for example) then you're stuffed?!!
    'Windage & Elevation, Miss. Langdon - Windage & Elevation!'

Paul55 is offline I get by with a little help from my friends
    You can buy additional compensation cover at the time of posting. The £100 limit is the included comp value.

Ask at your local Post Office for the "Our Prices" guide, "Your handy guide to our UK & international parcel & letter service prices" & all will become clear.
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55
    Been there, bought it, tried it, sold it

Quote Originally Posted by webb22 View Post
    so whats the alternative then?

Do DPD, DHL, FEDEX for example take air rifles...and are they covered for more compensation?

I've come across a problem with RM Recorded Delivery recently; they only pay out a max of £48 - and if you declare its a sound moderator (for example) then you're stuffed?!!
    The Recorded Delivery service is not designed for items of value and it is not advertised as such. It is used for proof of delivery of documents mainly and usually because they have some legal significance.

According to here >
    http://www.parcelforce.com/help-info...e-compensation

£100 is correct,additional enhanced compensation charges are here >
    http://www.parcelforce.com/help-info...d-compensation

Parcelfarce 48 are the ONLY service that can be used.
    http://www.parcelforce.com/send-uk/n...livery/details

hih
    Pete
    Last edited by PALADIN; 18-04-2013 at 10:55 PM.
    ULTIMATE KING RATTY ::.22 SMK QB78DL HYBRID::+QB78 D/L .25 Cal ::850 AIRMAGNUM::PISTOLS- :22 Cal Weihrauch HW80K Tactical::RAM 68 :-)

Ive used parcelforce 24 twice in the last few weeks sending and receiving air rifle and the comp was only 100.had to take the risk though and the postman of the rifle i sent left it inside the purchasers porch and signed "porch" on the proof of delivery handset,to say we both shat ourselves was an understatement as it was a 900 quid rifle doh!!!
    rapid 17/viper,daystate airwolf/connect/hw45 ags pistol scope

Quote Originally Posted by eddiecos View Post
    ...... and the postman of the rifle i sent left it inside the purchasers porch and signed "porch" on the proof of delivery handset,......
    that is illegal - and he can be sacked for the offence
    Air Arms TX200HC .177, Hawke AIRMAX 3-9x40 AO
    Air Arms S400F carbine .177, Hawke AIRMAX 4-12x40 AO

Some of the contributions here seem to be at cross purposes. The OP said that where airguns are concerned, additional compensation is not available and that compensation is capped at £100.

If this policy is true - and how can we tell if they don't publish it properly (?!) - then at least we will be able to send our rifles with tracking so we can tell if they arrive, which is an advance on RM Standard Parcels.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul55 View Post
    You can buy additional compensation cover at the time of posting. The £100 limit is the included comp value.

Ask at your local Post Office for the "Our Prices" guide, "Your handy guide to our UK & international parcel & letter service prices" & all will become clear.

The missus spoke to the lady the email is from and directly asked the question 'What if the air rifle is worth more?'

The reply received was that even if enhanced compensation was purchased it would only be covered for £100, so you would only be wasting your money. She has also said that written above.

It was then asked what if the post office offered compensation and it was paid for and a problem occured(I was asked if I wanted it at my post office and they knew it was an air rifle). The reply was only £100 would be offered, it is down to the buyer to check out terms and conditions. I did point these were still out of date on their website and was told they would be looked into but no more than £100 would be paid out from Parcel Force. If it was worth more than that and postage was sold with enhanced compensation it would need to be taken up with the post office.

So in my view why waste a buyers money on something your selling if it is for nothing.

The lady in question is aware that training is required and said it would be looked into. However if you need any further clarification the lady is the manager of the managing directors office. I spoke to manager after manager at the depots who really were clueless, she however knew straight away what was going on. She is located at head office.

Just trying to help as it took me numerous calls and emails to get to this and was just trying to save someone the expense and effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Yardbent View Post
    that is illegal - and he can be sacked for the offence

our postman shud have been sacked once a week then

so we have our first case of miss sold enhanced insurance, i just shipped a rifle and was offered enhanced insurance and took it, to the tune of £14.70...looks like im visiting the PO tomorrow asking for a refund.

At no time was i made aware the service only covered to £100 and i was also shown the print out stating they were now allowing shipment on express 48.

Oh dear...parcel force really have not handles this well at all