Thread: Walther LP53 Trigger Adjustment?

Walther LP53 Trigger Adjustment?

Walther LP53 - Help Needed.

We have a few Walther LP53 pistols in our club now, but two of them have a much heavier first stage trigger pressure on them than all the others - making them harder to shoot at 10 meters than the others that have a better trigger feel.

This first stage pressure appears to be controlled by the little hair spring fixed to the trigger blade - but does anyone know if this trigger spring pressure is adjustable in any way?

Maybe Walther made two distinctly different weights of spring to control the trigger weight - a heavy one for firearms practice, and a lighter weight one for air pistol target shooting?

Any help about this would be appreciated so we can change (or adjust) the two LP53 pistols that have the very heavy trigger sping weight on them to make them like the other LP53 pistols that are much easier to use for target shooting.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Bob, there are a number of variations to the build of the LP53 through the years some of which are not obvious from the outside until you come to do repairs.

It's been quite a while since I did a rebuild on a 53 & I can't bring the details you require to mind right now but will look at my records to see what notes I made, if any, & PM you if I think it's of use.
    IF IT'S NOT BROKE.........DON'T FIX IT!

Thanks Dave,

I think these are great little pistols that stand a good chance of scoring quite well in the MPL - but NOT those with the heavy trigger spring feel to them.

If we can make those with the heavy pre-travel spring weight more like those with the softer spring feel then they could be quite popular.

With the break barrel open, I can see a grub screw with a locking collar around it.

I have tried unscrewing this grub screw and fixing it with the locking collar, but it does not seem to have done much to the first stage spring pressure that I am trying to reduce.

......but I would like to know what it does adjust as I have probably upset something that I have not discovered yet - but I may have reduced the first stage travel?

Interesting - but not what I am trying to adjust!

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

Lp53

I think its only by the spring with no adjuster, certainly mine is which is a later black grip no 117589 and the original hand book shows no adjuster nor can I see how it could be done other than by springs from the cutaway drawing. They were principly as a centre fire trainer so the weight is nicely around 1.36 kg's, tell them to man up!
    Am I the only one that every time I take it out of the box gets an uncontrollable urge to hold it upright by my shoulder and gaze wistfully into the distance!
    Have fun
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    They were principly as a centre fire trainer so the weight is nicely around 1.36 kg's, tell them to man up!

Have fun
    Robin
    Hi Robin - we will have fun.....but we would only have to tell two of the LP53 shooters to "man-up" as all the others have a delightfully light first stage spring pressure followed by a superbly crisp let-off.

The two LP53 with the very heavy first stage also have a nice crisp let-off - but the first stage is so heavy it is impossible to actually feel anything other than the very heavy trigger pressure spring.

Given the choice, I much prefer the ones with the nice light first stage spring pressure.

.......and I still don't know for sure what the adjusting grub screw (with locking collar does) for sure - the trigger is so heavy it is hard to tell - but I think I have shortened the first stage travel by unscrewing it.........and I understand only the early models had this adjuster!

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    .......and I still don't know for sure what the adjusting grub screw (with locking collar does) for sure - the trigger is so heavy it is hard to tell - but I think I have shortened the first stage travel by unscrewing it.........and I understand only the early models had this adjuster!
    Bob
    I wonder if you are on the right track, most centre fire pistols were single stage, the Smiths, GSP, and TOZ which I used, perhaps if you keep going you'll get the first stage out and have a crisp single stage? Have you weighed the different triggers? Is the total weight the same on the two types with just the ballance of first and second stage weights different? I shot AP for ages with the first stage of the Steyr at 95% and the last bit on the second but it was a recipe for accidental let offs, I think with bigger weights single stage is better if you can't get a 50/50 two stage.
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

It has also been suggested that the earlier "adjustable" LP53 triggers are a lot firmer on the first stage than the later non-adjustable triggers.

So far I can confirm this as being true!

Every adjustable type trigger I have found on any LP53 has a heavy first stage, and all of the non-adjustable ones have a nice light first stage trigger - but all of them have a good let-off.

Given the typical Walther variables I am sure we will find an example to defy the findings so far.....anybody?