Thread: 10m pistol

10m pistol

Hi all

I'm going to give 10M pistol a bash.

Any advice on which pistol to go for first?

I've shot FWB side levers, LP10 PCPs and I think I prefer the LP10.

What should I look out for when choosing and is it worth going for second hand rather than new?

Cheers

Steve

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Top tip : Join a club first, try club and members guns first, even s/h they're not a cheap purchase and you don't want to be buying one twice because you chose unwisely.

All modern 10m pistols are approximately equal in terms of accuracy and general ease of operation. Seems to me it comes down to a couple of things; particular features such as electronic or mechanical trigger, and available grip form and adjustability. If you like the features but can't get a proper grip which offers excellent support and repeatability of hold, you should either choose a different pistol with a better grip or have made (or make your own) a custom grip. Putty is popular as is carving, but the basic grip shouldn't be too far off to start with. Which angle and cant of grip you choose will depend on how you shoot, what stance, which dominant eye compared to which hand, etc.

As said already, try as many as you can before making any decisions. I say the same when my clients are shopping for a violin or a doublebass or whatever, they need to try as many as possible to get a feel for the parameters so they are better able to make a rational decision. The latest Steyr or Morini or whatever are very pretty, but I found the Pardini K10's simplicity attractive, and made myself a custom grip as nothing else came close to a proper fit. Only did that after shooting it for a year with a slightly modified size large Rink grip so as to get a better idea what parameters still needed shifting.

Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)
    Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Top tip : Join a club first, try club and members guns first, even s/h they're not a cheap purchase and you don't want to be buying one twice because you chose unwisely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    All modern 10m pistols are approximately equal in terms of accuracy and general ease of operation. Seems to me it comes down to a couple of things; particular features such as electronic or mechanical trigger, and available grip form and adjustability. If you like the features but can't get a proper grip which offers excellent support and repeatability of hold, you should either choose a different pistol with a better grip or have made (or make your own) a custom grip. Putty is popular as is carving, but the basic grip shouldn't be too far off to start with. Which angle and cant of grip you choose will depend on how you shoot, what stance, which dominant eye compared to which hand, etc.

As said already, try as many as you can before making any decisions. I say the same when my clients are shopping for a violin or a double bass or whatever, they need to try as many as possible to get a feel for the parameters so they are better able to make a rational decision. The latest Steyr or Morini or whatever are very pretty, but I found the Pardini K10's simplicity attractive, and made myself a custom grip as nothing else came close to a proper fit. Only did that after shooting it for a year with a slightly modified size large Rink grip so as to get a better idea what parameters still needed shifting.
    Sound advice and well worth considering - also try to look at FWB ,SAM and Benelli; all of which are accurate weapons. Adjusting the grip, trigger position, barrel orientation etc to suit you is very important but will take some time. A qualified coach can help with advice on stance and grip etc to "tune" a pistol to suit you.

Have a look at this site for more info:-

http://bobsairguns.com/index.php

A
    TB
    Mike.
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

thanks

Thanks to all for the advice.

I'm a rifle shooter and have tried a few pistols at my club, but not enough yet to know whats best.

I'll try a few more as the opportunity presents itself.

thanks again.

A pistol is a very personal thing and can be difficult to find one that suits you, keep looking as buying the wrong one can be expensive however quality sells itself if you make a mistake.

Got One!

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

I came across a Pardini P10 which had been owned for Decades by the same very nice gentleman who shot it in national competitions in the 80's.

The grip is just marginally too small for me but I can make do for now - I'm loathe to carve it, and might look for a bigger grip in time.

The pistol is very consistent but low powered (325fps), I'm in the process of getting a factory seal kit for it.

Addictive, target pistol shooting, isn't it...

Quote Originally Posted by yorkiets View Post
    Thanks for the advice, everyone.

I came across a Pardini P10 which had been owned for Decades by the same very nice gentleman who shot it in national competitions in the 80's.

The grip is just marginally too small for me but I can make do for now - I'm loathe to carve it, and might look for a bigger grip in time.

The pistol is very consistent but low powered (325fps), I'm in the process of getting a factory seal kit for it.

Addictive, target pistol shooting, isn't it...
    The Pardini agent in the UK is Diverse Trading ( email pc@diverse-trading.co.uk ) if it's any help.

I wouldn't worry to much about the muzzle velocity if you are shooting 10m. What weight of pellet are you using? My PCP Pardini delivers a little over 5 ft lbs with R10 pellets but I shoot 20 yards so I'm happy with it.
    Last edited by Ben44/40; 10-05-2013 at 09:57 AM. Reason: addition

P10

Quote Originally Posted by Ben44/40 View Post
    The Pardini agent in the UK is Diverse Trading ( email pc@diverse-trading.co.uk ) if it's any help.

I wouldn't worry to much about the muzzle velocity if you are shooting 10m. What weight of pellet are you using? My PCP Pardini delivers a little over 5 ft lbs with R10 pellets but I shoot 20 yards so I'm happy with it.
    Cheers Ben

I did get the seals from Paul at Diverse.

Fitted the seals and its made little difference to the power of the pistol.

Still, shoots like a dream so I'm not going to go any further trying to increase muzzle velocity.

Cheers.

grip too small

After shooting the Pardini for a couple of weeks, I've come to the conclusion that the grip is too small and not comfortable for me to shoot.

Rather than spoiling the grip by carving it, I'm considering selling it and getting something that fits me better.

Is there a good place to advertise pistols (I cant find a dedicated target air pistol site)?

Gunstar

Try the air pistol section of Gunstar. Quality pistols, fairly priced, seem to sell well on that site
    regards

Advertise it on here, I'm sure that you'll get some interest.

Thanks chaps.

I'll try on here first.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by yorkiets View Post
    (I cant find a dedicated target air pistol site)?
    Stirton.com is target dedicated...