Thread: Airsporter/mercury 2 stage trigger mod

Airsporter/mercury 2 stage trigger mod

The trigger on my mercury S is ok, but no real feel no matter what i do to it.
    Have to rely on how the pressure feels to judge when in breaks.

So, i decided to try something. Not fitted it to the gun yet but in the block it feels good.

I had to make a new trigger blade, the originals are either plastic, or cast alloy. The cast ones dont have enough meat to play with.

So, on the kitchen floor, with hacksaw, files, electric drill and a vice thats not bolted down, i hacked out a new blade (will be removed again for final finishing).

On the new blade i made the roll pin hole larger so the blade pivots before it moves the strut.
    I then drilled the blade for a grub screw and put a spring in it. Spring bears against the underneath of the strut and is adjustable.

So now i have a fixed throw, but pressure adjustable first stage and i can set a heavier, short throw second stage.

If i'd set the original trigger up with just a heavy, short single stage i wouldnt have confidence in it, so at least this way i can take up slack and when i feel the stop i know the smallest pull and the trigger will break.

Its the same idea, but done in a different way, to the early MK1 airsporters.

Heres a pic.

This block dosnt have the length of pull adjuster for the trigger, but the one in the gun has.

Will be interesting to see what it shoots like.

One last job now is to smooth the block out so it flows properly from the cylinder.
    Why does my MK1 airsporters block flow nicely but the later ones have 2 'ridges' and are a bit too large?
    Old German target rifles and even older BSA's

nice job

Looks good considering your equipment, Someone give this man a vice bolted to a strong workbench & a drill stand!

You should see some of the other stuff ive made on the floor LOL.

Got it all assembled in the gun and tried a 5 shot group.

Observations are...

First stage is a little sticky at times, new trigger needs slightly slimming down (final polish will achieve this).

Cant set the second stage as short as i'd like as the sears have slightly rounded edges. Set it too short and the piston rod wont reliably catch. I need to stone all the sears to have crisper edges to be able to set a shorter second stage.

But, set up so its not ideal, but is safe to use and without any practice my 5 shot group has shrunk by about 1/3 without really trying as let off is already more predictable than before.

stoned the sears last night and got it set up better.

Only tried a few shots this afternoon and its lots better than before.

Seems to have given me even more improvement in accuracy.

trigger mod

It's great when you finally get a poor trigger to an acceptable standard.I had the same problem with my fwb124.

Its no 'record', and unforunately i dont think there is room to bodge one in, but its usable.

mercury trigger mod

I prefer the mercury triggers to the fwb sports & have no intention of bodging anything in to mine,a good ,clean,relube & replacing the springs sorted my fwb & my 635 magnum trigger is good too. I might treat the fwb to a maccari trigger blade if one comes up secondhand.