Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MPL 6 yard Postal Competition.

Keep checking the rules at the top of this thread as they are amended as we refine them ready for action.

The rules have been updated today to include the changes discussed and agreed to date .anybody noticed...can anyone name the changes?....
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    Keep checking the rules at the top of this thread as they are amended as we refine them ready for action.

The rules have been updated today to include the changes discussed and agreed to date .anybody noticed...can anyone name the changes?....
    Lucy is a nice name! 'Lucy Change'.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Please read the MPL Rules for 6 yard postal shooting.

The place to read and see the official RMTC rules for the proposed 6 yard MPL Postal League is at the head of this thread, and I would encourage anyone with any interest in the series to refer to them.

The rules are now completed and displayed here and alongside the 10 meter MPL rules on the RMTC club site, and will hopefully be displayed on all of the air gun forums and interested club sites to help promote the series and to encourage anyone who would like to have a go to join in.

The 6 yard MPL postal series will run with the same 6 month time cycles as the current 10 meter series, so we start this by shooting the first six cards to be completed by the end of June 2013.

The MPL logo will be used to promote and attach to the series so we keep it truly independent and politic free so any forum or club should feel happy to promote and display it for us in the future.

I have ordered enough Air 8 targets to run the series with and will keep plenty spare to offer to anyone that only wants to buy a few to practice with, but they can be bought in bulk by anyone direct from the NSRA shop if a larger stash is required.
    Last edited by zooma; 05-05-2013 at 09:01 PM.

The post has been superseded
    Last edited by zooma; 05-05-2013 at 08:47 PM.

Smile

The MPL is a nice simple competition and the 6 yard version of it should be basically the same - but with the added appeal of being able to be shot over a shorter distance - and possibly at home for those that are not members of any club as well as those that are.

Hopefully the rules are as brief as they need to be and I have resisted the temptation to over explain or complicate them.

They are further simplified by not having any bonus scoring system like the 10 meter version of this same competition as I think the shorter distance involved negates the need - and it will be interesting to see how it works without the bonus system.

This is a new competition based on the existing MPL series in response to the enquiries we have had since we started the MPL to include those that are not members of a club that can accommodate them, and those that cannot find enough members to form a club team.

It is very hard to get any new competition to work, and many have failed to make it - but I think this one has the appeal of the successful MPL series and stands a chance of giving the individual something they can have a go at and enjoy.

Can I suggest we get started with the rules as shown on this thread, I have made some small changes that have been suggested by exisiting MPL shooters, and now I think they are good enough and workable to live with - at least for the first six months
    Last edited by zooma; 05-05-2013 at 08:49 PM.

The rules have been updated - please check.
    Last edited by zooma; 05-05-2013 at 08:50 PM.

Self Scoring?

One last thought?

Mr Fixit suggested self-scoring earlier in this thread, and I gave all the good reasons why an impartial scorer would be better.

However, I have had some emails suggesting that the honesty system of self scoring would be better as it would be much simpler and actually preferred.

Please let me know if you think this idea is a better way forward:

Scoring.

1/. All shooters should score their own shot targets and email the scores to us at the end of each month. Shot cards can also have the scores checked or even scored by another competitor if you have this option and prefer not to score your own.

2/. If you have a shot that is difficult to score or you are not sure of, please show it to another competitor or try and resolve it yourself. If you have any doubt - always score yourself down rather than up so you can gain a workable average you can repeat or try to improve upon in the future.

3/. A simple email such as the example below with your name and the competition month concerned with the scores displayed as shown here is all we need to record your score at the end of each month. Please also let us know what pistol and pellets you used to shoot your cards with.

Ian Bloggs. June 2013. 38 + 34 + 37 + 41 + 44 + 39 = 233. GAMO Centre. Hobby pellets.

4/.You should keep your cards safe for 2 months after they are shot as some may be requested for random checking. Any requested cards should be posted to us, and if they are not available they will be given a zero score.

This is about as simple as it gets and we will do the administration and display everyones score together during the second week after the end of each month.
    Last edited by zooma; 05-05-2013 at 08:26 PM.

A sensible way to score the cards, which will probably attract more competitors than a scanned / posted option.

All I would add is for the shooter to list their pistol and pellets, as this makes for good statistics and it is of interest to other shooters.

Kind regards,

Phil
    Last edited by p.m.h; 05-05-2013 at 08:35 PM.
    I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
    >>Classic Air Pistol Association<<
    >>North Manchester Target Club<<

Quote Originally Posted by p.m.h View Post
    A sensible way to score the cards, which will probably attract more competitors than a scanned / posted option.

All I would add is for the super to list their pistol and pellets, as this makes for good statistics and it is of interest to other shooters.

Kind regards,

Phil
    I agree - that sounds like a plan we should run with.

I will modify the rules at the head of this thread to include this idea and suggest we run with it.
    Last edited by zooma; 05-05-2013 at 09:02 PM.

From the feed back I have been getting, this looks set to be a popular and well attended competition.

Kind regards,

Phil
    I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
    >>Classic Air Pistol Association<<
    >>North Manchester Target Club<<

The most recent suggestions look really workable for this type of competition. I'm really looking forward to shooting in it.

Cheers, Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    One last thought?

Mr Fixit suggested self-scoring earlier in this thread, and I gave all the good reasons why an impartial scorer would be better.

However, I have had some emails suggesting that the honesty system of self scoring would be better as it would be much simpler and actually preferred.

Please let me know if you think this idea is a better way forward:
    Self scoring pretty much makes point 5 in the scoring section of the first post invalid doesn't it?

5/. To avoid any time wasting, any challenges for a disputed score must be accompanied with a cash payment for £5. This will be refunded in full in the event of a successful challenge, but donated to RMTC funds if unsuccessful.
    IMHO, i think point 1 in the pistols and pellets section should be changed from....

Any single shot .177 air pistol that complies with the main MPL rules will be eligible for this competition - if in doubt, please check the main MPL rules.
    To

Only .177 Single shot spring powered, SSP (single stroke pneumatic) or MSP (muli-stroke pneumatic) pistols can be used in this competition and must comply with the current regulations by operating at 6 ft/lbs or less. All CO2 and PCP pistols are specifically banned.
    Why make people unfamiliar with the MPL go looking for the they types of pistols allowed?
    Last edited by karandras; 06-05-2013 at 10:34 AM.

[QUOTE=karandras;5957959]Self scoring pretty much makes point 5 in the scoring section of the first post invalid doesn't it?

Answers to your questions:-

The rule "5" you refer to is the one that allows a competitor to protest a score - you are probably thinking that nobody would protest against a score they have awarded to themselves - but this rule is there to allow any shooter to challenge any score shot by any competitor, so it is important that it stays included in the rules for various reasons.

We also have the option to ask to see shot cards at random or if we would like to check some cards for any reason at all - and it is possible that if we amend a score after we check the cards - then the competitor may choose to protest and so the mechanism to do so must remain in place.

Our aim with the MPL 6 yard rules is to keep them simple and as short as possible.

We do not want to repeat all of the MPL rules for the 6 yard competition - only highlight the bare bones differences and give enough information for the majority of all competitors to work with.

It will always be possible to pick lots of individual "what if's", but we would rather like competitors to have a good look at the rules from time to time - or at least to check something they are unsure of - and if they can't read and /or find what they are looking for then they can always ask and we will ensure nobody has any questions about the rules that remain unanswered.

The MPL rules have stood the test of time and been updated when needed, so I doubt there is anything a competitor to the MPL 6 yard series can't see the answer for either in the MPL 6 yard rules or the main MPL rules.

The 6 yard testing went OK last night and we are confident that the rules we have will be OK and workable.

Targets Arrived - Stamp Design is Rubber Stamped!

The bulk supply of Air 8 targets has arrived and Phil has come up with a good design and supply source for the rubber stamp that will mark the top left face of all the targets included in the entry pack.

Now we are are just about ready to go, and we have several shooters showing some interest in taking part.

The second entry on this thread has been reserved to list those that would like to take part - please let me have your name if you are not already listed and would like to be included.
    Last edited by zooma; 10-05-2013 at 10:26 PM.