Quote Originally Posted by $harp$hooter View Post
Thanks for that. Like I said I didn't buy them but it got me thinking as to their classification under the law. Does their size, with them having such a short barrel length have an effect on their classification?
As far as I can see, they are both Section 1 firearms - they are smooth-bore, true, but they are actually MADE to fire a single projectile - that alone makes them Section 1 firearms. Just like a short-barrelled replica of any BP gun.

The barrel is also less than 24" long, so they can not be classed as any kind of shotgun except a Section 1 shotgun.

IMO the seller has broken the law in offering them for sale. As Section 1 firearms he has sold them without recourse to licensing - a very serious offence in this country. Whoever bought them may or may not knowingly have broken the law, but broken it they have, as as we know from the experience of the poor bugger who found a shotgun in his garbage can a while back, not knowing the law can STILL earn you the five-year freedom from paying taxes.

tac