Thread: Shooting from the bottle

Shooting from the bottle

Hi all,

As you maybe know, we in the Netherlands are allowed to shoot from the bottle during our 100m matches. I would like to know what the pro's and cons are regarding shooting from the bottle and a fair and interesting match.

Thanks in advance.
    emi
    100mairgun.nl (TRANSLATOR on top! )

No pros and cons?

ATB
    emi

Maybe an explanation of the term `shooting from the bottle` might help.
    PJ
    FX Verminator .177, Baikal IJ 38. 177, Gat gun .177, Haenal 303 .22, HW77 x 2 .177, Diana mod 27 1929 .177. EV2....... midshiresmarksmen.com

Quote Originally Posted by peejay View Post
    Maybe an explanation of the term `shooting from the bottle` might help.
    PJ
    I would hazard a guess that it is when a PCP is left attached to an air cylinder for a continuous equalized air supply
    Making waves since 1971.

We call it tethered in the US, and it is not allowed in some matches here. If your rifle can't make it through the number of shots you plan to shoot it is very convenient. On an unregulated gun, the larger volume of the tank gives you constant pressure. Also the mass of the air on the storage side on the valve gives you for consistent shots.

I think it is not allowed because it is not a test of the rifle's capabilities, but a useful tool in testing pellets.

Ron

Would the bottle the rifle is tethered too have to be below the max pressure of the rifle , or is there some sort of reg inbetween seems like you will have to top up the bottle quite a bit
    A few nice rifles

Hi all,

One of the reasons that I made this post is that I doubt it's fair that a BSA .25 Lonestar wins a 100m match. Without shooting on the bottle this rifle doesn't have a lot of chances I guess.

ATB
    emi

That's right, Mike. Thanks for your comment.

Both my tank and my rifle are good to 3000 psi. My rifle goes through air fast. It is a Career 707, and I am sure that newer rifles are better. When my tank is at 2500 I have to refill even more often, so tethering is a great expedient. I can't tether the tank during our matches because we shoot in prone sitting and standing. A tank would be a nuisance next to me as well as a hazard.

Testing pellets or zeroing a scope it work well.

If the tank was a carbon fiber one filled to 4500, I not sure I would leave it hoked up even with a regulator.

Ron