The 17 rem is truly a superb calibre which punches massively above its weight.

Over the years, I have owned at least five 17 rem rifles and have fired many thousands of rounds in this cal - And I am probably this cals biggest fan and completely biased toward it.

Once you get the powder / bullet combo right - Its hard not to love it. - Low noise and virtually recoiless - trajectory of a 220 swift for half the powder.

In the past I have pushed the little 20 grn Vmax at 4460 fps - Considering it only uses 22 + grns of powder and has all the attributes listed above and is undoubtedly one of the best point and squirt rifles IMO

My latest 17 rem has a Pacnor 9 twist fitted, and zaps the excellent and deadly 25grn Vmax at 3940 fps - using a mere 21.5 grn / Vit 133 to do so.

With a little practice, vermin at 400 - 500 yrds is achiveble in the right conditions. The 17 rem is also an excellent fox calibre - Albiet it doesnt have the hitting power of the bigger 22's ands 6mm pills

Safety wise, With the 17 FB - It has to be the safest centre fire calibre I know of. I can honestly say - I have never had a single bullet richocet in thousands of rounds

With the exception of the 30 grn Berger bullet - The 17 cal bullet rarely exits TBH therefore delivers its full payload of energy into the target.

Not much more to say - Except , anybody thinking of this calibre - dont listen to the guys who say they are barrel burners - they foul up every 15 shots

Its and more often than not, comes from people with no direct experience or bought a knackered shot out rifle.

Driven at sensible speeds you will get alot of shots out of a barrel - Probably more in fact than a 204 which uses between 4 - 8 grains of propellent more per shot.

A friend of mine has over 2500 round out of his Shillen barrel and it is still bug holing.

One last point - I have had a Remmy LVSF and I too struggled for accuracy , untill I removed the two "Pips" in the H&S stock that touch the barrel - as Rich said - try pushing the 25 grn Vmax toward 4K

ATB
Alan