Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .17 Rem - Remington 700LVSF

Agree with above - DM80 was noticably quieter than my CQB on the 17 rem.

Dave is a top bloke too

ATB
    Alan

17 rem

Quote Originally Posted by jamie g View Post
    Dont confuse the 17 rem and 17 hmr there completely different beasts
    Aaah there in lies my confusion, thanks for clearing that up for me cheers , Andy

Quote Originally Posted by sir-slots-alot View Post
    Agree with above - DM80 was noticably quieter than my CQB on the 17 rem.

Dave is a top bloke too

ATB
    Alan
    Agreed - DM80's a gentleman.

Not been on here for a while so thanks to you all for the input. I will certainly try pushing the 25grn V-maxes a bit quicker and also have a look at those lugs on the inside of the Barrel channel on the stock to see if removing them improves the accuracy. Having said that, the Berger 25grn Match Varmints seem to be working well, have a decent BC (same as the 20grn V-Maxes) and despite the tiny hollow point, expand violently with devastating effect on small game.

I've had a fair amount of success with the rifle since my original post and I am still absolutely chuffed to bits with it. The Swaro 6-30 x50 Z6 on-top has a really fine crosshair that is perfect for long range small varmint use (the crosshairs don’t even cover a rabbits eye at 300yards on 30x mag). It is relatively quiet when moderated and very low on recoil allowing you to see the shot much more easily than larger c/f calibres and to be honest, since I’ve had this, I don’t think either my .222 or .22-250 have even been out of the cabinet.

The only thing I do want to change is my moderator. I am currently using a .25cal Ase Utra S5 which works well, but is a big old lump on the end of the barrel, so am considering either a .17 calibre specific Hardy Gen IV or an Aimzonic, just to improve the balance a bit. The DM80 sounds good but is I think a bit heavier than these two? If anyone has any experience of how effective either of these are on a .17Rem I’d be interested to hear about it.

I had Dave make a Mod for my 17 FB and it is quieter than my HMR (since sold). Weight is 500 GRM.

The DM80 on my very light sako does not upset the balance at all. I cannot recommend it enough, just get one!!!
    If we weren't supposed to eat animals they wouldn't be made out of meat.....

Thumbs up

I'm selling a DM80 off a .17 ? What thread do you need mate? I'm 14x1
    Only need £60 for it too
    Marksmanship = Accuracy, Consistency, Observation and a little of The Force
    SharpshootingUK www.sharpshootinguk.com

best fox cal, says me. sold mine for a deer legal .223. but the shots ive had remind me of the excellent calibre. and i will have another 17remington again... soon.

Quote Originally Posted by richness View Post
    I'm selling a DM80 off a .17 ? What thread do you need mate? I'm 14x1
    Only need £60 for it too
    Sorry but I need a 1/2"UNF

Just a quick update. I didn't remove the pressure pips in the forend of the stock but instead made a small plastic spacer out of an old plastic credit card for under the front stock screw. I then torqued the stock screws down to the correct torque with my new s/h torque screwdriver from the bay of evil. This free floats the barrel nicely without having to butcher the stock, something I didn't want to do in case removing these pips actually made things worse.

I tried her out yesterday, only at 50yds and she shot about 4" low initially, which suggests that the pips were exerting quite an upward pressure on the barrel. I shot two separate Groups, one with 3 and the other with 4 shots and got all holes touching with 25grn Berger Match HP's over 21grns of N133. As this is a definite improvement on my previous best groups at this range, I will try her out at 100yds before removing these pips permanently and hopefully I'll then have myself a genuine 1/2" rifle at 100yds.

Hi fellow 17 heads I settled on a DM80 from Dave mercer and no regrets at all, very light well made piece of kit and very effective moderation it is a little large but not too heavy dificult to see how you would better it.
    I'm about to try the 25gn berger HP's in my17 fireball and will try around my 25 gn Vmax load 16.3 H4198 possibly need to tweak the AOL any one got any figures?

I reload my 17FB with 17.7 GRN Vit N133 and Federal Small Rifle Primers.

25 GRN Berger Target HP OAL 1.80

25 GRN Vmax OAL 1.83

The Bergers shoot fractionally better but not a lot in it and I think they are discontinued now anyway.

Rifle is a Sako A1 with a Pacnor tube and it is just Dynamite on Crows and Rabbits.

Just got my DM 80 mod last week trying it for the first time tomorrow as previously stated its nice and light and it balances my Sako .17 rem perfectly

Quote Originally Posted by steyrman View Post
    Just got my DM 80 mod last week trying it for the first time tomorrow as previously stated its nice and light and it balances my Sako .17 rem perfectly
    I have a predator 8 .17 cal specific mod that came with my fireball. It moderates well.
    "Shooters, regardless of their preferred quarry, enjoy their sport for its ability to transfer them from their day-to-day life into a world where they can lose themselves for a few hours". B Potts.

well i am well impressed with the D.M. 80 the crows were not though!!!!!