Thread: Scope Comparisons

Traz Guest

Scope Comparisons

Lo,

Would anyone be able to help me out with some scopes? I'd just like to know about anyones experiences with the following scopes - Any info is really appreciated..

Nikko Platinum Nighteater
    Hawke pro-stalk
    Simmons pro-air
    Hawke Sidewinder
    Nikko Stirling Sniper

Cheers,
    Traz

steven is offline Whist - it's the new rock'n'roll, innit?
    See my post earlier this evening regarding the Nikko Nighteater.

hi traz i have two nikko snipers both 10x42 very good scpoe nice optics and well made with no problems not tried the nighteater yet but the sniper is the best scope on your list but try getting to one of the hft comps and having a look at the scopes as most of the ones on your list will be being used
    Steyr LG110 hunter BUSHNELL ELITE 4200 6-24X40 MIL-DOT
    SHUT UP LEGS!!!!

Simmons Pro-Air 4-12x40: Reasonably tough (it has taken a fall with the weight of a HW80K behind it and still works), reliable repeatability (though I need to tap the turrets at times), good build quality and decent optics. The thicker inner reticle helps those with weak eyes, especially at night. A finer reticle would help if it is mainly used for target shooting. Buy a good second hand one and save yourself 50 to 80 quid.

Nikko-Stirling Sniper: Had one for a year or so but only mounted it on the springer for one session as I wanted to use it on a pcp only.
    Good build quality, did not check repeatability but wasn't impressed by the precision of the turret clicks - I probably had a bad one. Good optics but nothing earth shaking. The best I have seen through are a S&B and very recently a Bushnell 3200 Elite 5-15x50 and am using these as a benchmark.
    However, I would buy one again. Once again, buy a good second hand one and save yourself at least a 100 quid.

HTH.

Rustam

COROVICD Guest
    I would vote for Nikko Stirling Sniper 10x42. Solidly built, 30 mm tube, clicks on the turret a bit soft, not as crunchy as one would like, but still OK. Due to tall turrets and 30 mm tube, you can dial up/down turrets very long way indeed, for extremely long range shots.

One thing I liked about this scope was that focusing is on the back, rather than the front of the scope. So much easier to reach when you are prone and do not want to disturb rabbits with movement of your hands.

Cheers,
    dejan

Gary C Guest
    Nikko Sniper

Problem is you're not asking about individual scopes but whole ranges. A range of scopes can have good and bad members so you really need to be specific about which ones you're interesting in.

Jonathan

Excypher Guest
    Hi everyone this is my first post so i thought id just introduce myself a bit first(bit of an odd topic to say stuff like this in but ill get to that in a mo) im excypher (or dave as people actually call me in the street) im local to the berkeley area (between gloucester and bristol in the county of gloucestershire) i dont actually own any airguns as yet, but as soon as my credit card comes though im off to BAR to buy myself a nice shiny 97K, tune up kit, pellets, bag, scope and mounts.

im actually responsible for this thread, i didnt have an email address other then my hotmail one (luckily i had a gmail one lying around so i was able to register using that, but didnt bother checking my inbox (duh) lo and behold i was browsing the forum and i thought "hey someones using excypher! thats my forum alter ego!!!!" then promtly found out it was me, so thanks for accepting me!!)

so yeah to the point, i asked a freind of mine (traz) to post this for me (and him as were both interested in the different scopes) but now i can actually post (huzzah) i just thought id ask a question or two

now, im not particularly experienced in airguns or anything (well owning them anyway, im a competant shooter) so this is pretty much my first, and i decided one day i was going to take the plunge and get a HW97K, then came the decision of what scope to put on it, looking around unfortunately there isnt a great deal of information on the net about scopes, so what im trying to say is, is the nikko sniper... "too much scope" for the 97k? (i will be venom tuning it but still)

im also dubious about spending this much money because i kinda think will it be worth it? will i notice a huge difference over a lesser model such as the pro stalk? i went into my local airgun store one day and looked through some scopes (one being a simmons pro air, the hawke pro stalk, and a £400+ bushnell) and to be completely honest i didnt notice a great deal of difference between them, thus promoting me to just buy a pro stalk when the time came, allas stubborn as i am i decided to take a trip up to blackpool in a few weekends time to maybe look through a selection of scopes and make my own informed choice. but im just trying from this thread to get an understanding of the different scopes and everyones opinions on them

so many thanks for any replies! greatly appreciated

Best on the list is the Niko Sniper but known under other brand and unbranded names too.
    If you cannot see a difference in low and bright light extremes buy the cheapest. Most scopes will look virtually the same looking in average light in a shop, its when you really try it you will find out, so go to a club and try a few there.