Thread: Pedersoli Guardian?

Question Pedersoli Guardian?

Hi all,

I came across an interesting little derringer by Pedersoli called a Guardian, which uses only a 209 shotshell primer as a power source, no powder, just the primer.

Apparently you push a .177 pellet into the barrel and then the primer pops it out. I've seen this model advertised on a few overseas sites but not here.

I've found the average muzzle velocity on the Dixie Gunworks site, and the energy works out well under 6ft/lbs.

So would this even need a license to own? With it using no BP, I'm not exactly sure where it falls.

Quote Originally Posted by luckythirteen View Post
    Hi all,

I came across an interesting little derringer by Pedersoli called a Guardian, which uses only a 209 shotshell primer as a power source, no powder, just the primer.

Apparently you push a .177 pellet into the barrel and then the primer pops it out. I've seen this model advertised on a few overseas sites but not here.

I've found the average muzzle velocity on the Dixie Gunworks site, and the energy works out well under 6ft/lbs.

So would this even need a license to own? With it using no BP, I'm not exactly sure where it falls.

Here in UK, if discharges a projectile by means of a gas generated by explosive combustion, like, for instance, a primer, it is a firearm. More to the point is that this little item may well fall under the heading of prohibited fiearms on mainland UK by virtue of the fact that it is indisputably a handgun. In fact, it is actually designed to be concealable, so it way well 'fit' the bill as a 'concealed weapon', even in Northern Ireland where handguns are still permitted.

tac

Thanks for clearing that up. It's interesting as well as annoying how some things are classified. If it is completely banned, it shows how little sense it makes when there are much more powerful pistols to be had in many forms!

I also find it amusing when my late Grandfather many years ago showed me a very corroded old pistol that he purchased from the back of a magazine in his teens. It was styled after a Luger but had a name like Kruger IIRC. It was much the same means of operation, though this used a plastic cap to fire a BB. Apparently it accidentally discharged and hit him in the hand yet barely left a mark. Crazy to think that such a low powered novelty item could actually be a prohibited firearm now!

I still can't see any reasoning behind such a law to prohibit them and not even allow them on an FAC. Especially since I have a modern air pistol that generates similar power, and can rattle off about 18 BBs as fast as I can pull the trigger. The only sense I can make of it is if you loaded BP in it as well as the cap?

Still, I remember seeing a tiny little 5 shot BP pistol advertised some time ago that was perfectly legal on an FAC. Our funny old laws

Glad I saw this thread as I had also seen the Pendersoli Deringer and was considering purchasing one, foolishly I presumed that as it was powered by he primer and no black powder down the muzzle it would not need a FAC, I guess it was the fact that it fired .177 air gun pellets that may have lead me to think nice little piece and maybe no FAC required.

Glad I searched on BBS and found this post as may have foolishly ordered one from abroad and had a surprise visit from Police on delivery.

davederrick is offline With our thoughts, we make the world
    Wouldn't it be classed as a muzzle loader ?

I've seen small concealable BP muzzle loading derringers that are UK legal.
    "I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959)

Sense?

Quote Originally Posted by luckythirteen View Post
    Thanks for clearing that up. It's interesting as well as annoying how some things are classified. If it is completely banned, it shows how little sense it makes when there are much more powerful pistols to be had in many forms!

I also find it amusing when my late Grandfather many years ago showed me a very corroded old pistol that he purchased from the back of a magazine in his teens. It was styled after a Luger but had a name like Kruger IIRC. It was much the same means of operation, though this used a plastic cap to fire a BB. Apparently it accidentally discharged and hit him in the hand yet barely left a mark. Crazy to think that such a low powered novelty item could actually be a prohibited firearm now!

I still can't see any reasoning behind such a law to prohibit them and not even allow them on an FAC. Especially since I have a modern air pistol that generates similar power, and can rattle off about 18 BBs as fast as I can pull the trigger. The only sense I can make of it is if you loaded BP in it as well as the cap?

Still, I remember seeing a tiny little 5 shot BP pistol advertised some time ago that was perfectly legal on an FAC. Our funny old laws
    The kneejerk redrafting of gun laws in the UK following Dunblane and Hungerford were not written with any thought to sensible decision in any shape or form. If president blair had had his way there would be no private ownership of any form of weapon in the UK. We were lucky in that a few strong MPs stood up and argued for limited ownership. Certain MPs in Scotland still want to ban airguns up there because of the actions of a handful of halfwits! I am from the pre blair era where 99.999r gun owners were responsible law abiding people who use their guns in a safe and responsible manner. This counted for very little when it came to vote collecting from an hysterical populance.
    Last edited by DesG; 02-12-2013 at 04:31 PM. Reason: bad spelling!
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    The kneejerk redrafting of gun laws in the UK following Dunblane and Hungerford were not written with any thought to sensible decision in any shape or form. If president blair had had his way there would be no private ownership of any form of weapon in the UK. We were lucky in that a few strong MPs stood up and argued for limited ownership. Certain MPs in Scotland still want to ban airguns up there because of the actions of a handful of halfwits! I am from the pre blair era where 99.999r gun owners were responsible law abiding people who use their guns in a safe and responsible manner. This counted for very little when it came to vote collecting from an hysterical populance.
    You are preaching to the converted, Sir! I lost out in 1988 AND 1998 - big time on both occasions.

It seems to have been overlooked that the loner Ryan was a secret pet-animal shooter, and had been on the police radar for some time and similarly with the appalling POS H******n, who was VERY well-known to the regional police, some of whom had recommended that his FAC be revoked. It never occurred to them to ask why a person who had been pretty much quiescent for a couple of years suddenly buys over 2000 rounds of handgun ammunition.......

On ALL occasions where a person has gone on the rampage with his legally-owned firearms, it is the police authority who have issued his licence, in spite of often conflicting information about his so-called 'good reasons' to justify ownership.

I know some people that I wouldn't trust with a metallic spoon, let alone ANY kind of a firearm.

tac

Quote Originally Posted by davederrick View Post
    Wouldn't it be classed as a muzzle loader ?

I've seen small concealable BP muzzle loading derringers that are UK legal.
    IF they are licensed.

They can be bought in France without any kind of a license, as indeed, most single-shot BP firearms can throughout Europe.

tac

guess its a move to France then if I wanted one.

However, you would probably get much more fun/satisfaction from a good air pistol.

I once bought an Erma replica of a PPK in .22 long which was nice to handle but hopeless to hit anything with and so you quickly tired of the novelty aspect.

Steve.

They do look an interesting novelty, looks like in Canada they are treated as Airguns. Very low powered looking at this video I'd say my Crosman 600 and Webley Alecto are far more powerful and yet are legal low powered air pistols.

http://youtu.be/xBXwqlQnUyY