Thread: target pistol advice please

target pistol advice please

hi i have been target pistol shooting for a season now and i am looking for an affordable upgrade i have a RHOM twinmaster at present and was wondering what i should be looking for any thoughts i do have reasonably large hands so something with large grips
    atvb
    .177 STEYR HUNTING SCOUT SA FULL CARBON SHROUD BUSHNELL ELITE 4200

A good PCP would be a step in the right direction from your Rhom for precsion target shooting and the price can vary considerably with age make and type.

Good makes to try to see what works best for you include Feinwerkbau, Steyr, SAM, Walther, Benneli and Morini - all of these are capable of the best possible scores leaving the shooter with the excuses for not doing better !

......but, just because one type of pistol works well for your friends or clubmates, does not mean the same will automatically work as well for you, so you really do need to try before you buy as many as possible to see what you feel the most comfortable with.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Hi thanks for the very useful infomation I will take it onboared just seems hard to find shops around here that have them in stock so you can handle them and get a feel as we do not have many pistol shooters in our club

Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)
    Pardini K12 is also worth a look; to get an idea of some of the pistols mentioned, look at

http://bobsairguns.com/index.php

http://www.checkmateguns.co.uk/
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

Air Arms Alpha Proj....my first season with it and its spot on for £500 as good as a Styer !!

Hello Tigercat,

What are you hoping to shoot with your next pistol? If you're after a single shot pistol then the range is enormous, and its certainly well worth trying everything.

Personally I'd go for a Steyr LP10. This is for three reasons;

Firstly they are far more adjustable than anything else on the market, meaning that regardless of what grip/rake angle you like, how you like your trigger set up, how wide you like your rear sight, how long you want your sight radius (etc,etc,etc!) You'll be able to set the gun up for you.

Secondly the service support available in the UK for anything Steyr is second to none.....no other manufacturer will come close to the service support that Steyr (Harry Preston-UK Steyr Engineer) will provide. I've called him on several occasions for advice, and I get my pistols serviced with him.

Lastly the engineering surpasses anything else on the market. Everything is brillantlt engineered...which means it works, and will keep on working (I shoot a 2006 LP10, it shoots like new)

If you're after a multishot pistol then I'd go for a Steyr LP5, or LP50. Nothing else will come close.

I am extremely biased owning both an LP10, and an LP50 Compact.....however I have shot in the British and English champs this year, and compete at 10m air pistol, Standard, Sport and Rapid Fire pistol...I shoot over a tin of pellets a week training and have never had any mechanical failure...

Go and try everything, then buy a Steyr!!

-Nick-
    Fierynick

+Keep Calm and Shoot Tens+

hi that is very interesting i was hoping to go down the steyr rout if i can find one at a price that i can stretch to i would only need a single shot as i only shoot 10m cards i feel i would improve with a longer sight line but on the other side of the coin i did look at the alfa seems to have a small air reserve

in box free sorry

defblade is offline There's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza
    Quote Originally Posted by tigercat View Post
    i do have reasonably large hands so something with large grips
    atvb
    Buy the pistol that you like to shoot without worrying about the grip size, then head off to Rink and buy a grip that fits your hands properly. Well worth the extra investment in my book, such an improvement when everything falls "just so" every single time. Same effect can be achieved with time, effort and milliput if you'd rather customise the OE grips.
    New: Hammerli AP20; BSA Meteor for daughter (and rats ); TX200 with a scope on top;
    Baikal MP-651K for plinking; and a friend with an Original 75 he doesn't mind me using!

Problem is of course, that it is difficult to try a pistol properly if the grip does not fit reasonably well in the first place. I have quite large hands and the only way I could try different pistols was to buy them first, as I could not fit my hand in to the grips of club members guns. "Buy before you try" was my motto.
    Evo 10 Compact.

hi all i have found a FWB P34 for reasonable price so i will let you all know how i get on thanks for all your helpful advice