Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TX200HC vs HW97k Head-to-Head

Revisiting this one as I want to raise the question of value for money.
    It seems to me most people fettle hw97's to get them shooting well.
    When you add in the cost of stock, internals and mods does this not make the AA tx200 overall a much better value rifle?
    This assumes of course the AA is left alone.

Good point.

I've always had a thing for Weihrauch rifles, but they can be unpleasant from the factory.

IMO the TX is a better deal overall.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Pretty much agreed on this except bear in mind BOTH stocks are pretty ordinary. The TX walnut versions are better but still not really good enough to use the rifle as a serious target tool. The HW stocks are horrible and let down what are excellent rifles.
    Personally I have used a Weihrauch HW97K with full V glide for quite a few years and treated myself to a really good stock for it-a GINB FT 10-which was lovely. However I bought a really nice TX200 and a GINB FT 7 and sold the HW and stock for DOUBLE the money I gave for the TX & stock. Says it all really.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Nice review buddy, been ponder either or for a long time now. Still drawn to the 97

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Good review !

Had a 97KT .177 for a while and it was a superb air rifle. Only recently acquired a Mk. 2 TX200h/c in .22 with a dark L/H stock and despite the bear trap, I really rate it ! OK, both are heavy, I wouldn't want to to lug either around my shoots as they are far too hilly and cover a large area.
    Like the idea of the synth. stock on the 97KT option though. Not everyone's cup of tea I know but I like them on my guns, especially for use in lousy weather.
    As such, they get wet through, I get the odd dent and bang on the stock but thats all part of the game.
    Last edited by Blackrider; 24-03-2014 at 03:48 PM.
    “An airgun or two”………

I've had just about every version of the TX series there is - including a Venomised TX200SR.

They are very fine rifles and nicely engineered.

I couldn't hit a damn thing with any of them.

They just do not suit me as a shooter.

Now the HW 77/97 on the other hand, well that's a different matter - although I've never really used s standard HW as I tune / mod them or buy Venom HW's anyway. If you like the rekord trigger you should try one that's been stripped, fettled and tuned, they are wonderful and precise.

I'd agree the TX is better value though - but then this hobby / sport isn't all about value though is it?
    I play a Fender bass, I shoot a springer. I like things to be, well, dependable

Had a TX in .177 a couple of years back, nice well built solid gun the only issue I had was the weight so I got rid in the end !!!

Herx77 is offline "Instruments of the light"
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryPotter View Post
    I've had just about every version of the TX series there is - including a Venomised TX200SR.

They are very fine rifles and nicely engineered.

I couldn't hit a damn thing with any of them.

They just do not suit me as a shooter.

Now the HW 77/97 on the other hand, well that's a different matter - although I've never really used s standard HW as I tune / mod them or buy Venom HW's anyway. If you like the rekord trigger you should try one that's been stripped, fettled and tuned, they are wonderful and precise.

I'd agree the TX is better value though - but then this hobby / sport isn't all about value though is it?
    Try the mach 1 trigger unit if you can find one. Steve does a mod on the standard record trigger altering the fulcrum on it and improving the load ratios.Not too expensive either!
    HERX77 .
    Fighter against the "Dark Arts" A stranger in an even stranger land.
    GC2+Leupold 14.4-34x45
    AA400 fac receiver+sidewinder 8.5-34x52
    Weihrauch HW77k fiddled with and doing what it wants to +Zeiss 3-9x36.
    Weihrauch HW90k
    Weihrauch HW97k learning from above,now sporting a Maccarri 77/97 target stock..+Bushnell 3200.Go on shoot one you know you want to
    Daystate mk3 RT Delux + bushnell 4200 8-24x 40Does what it should again & again.
    Fwb 124 + Optima was good is good!
    Webley Vulcan.

Herx77 is offline "Instruments of the light"
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex&Amy View Post
    The antibear trap is a good thing but its completely unnecessary as obviously we hold onto the underlever when loading. Therefore, I cut a 1 inch long slither of leather about 3 mm wide and then skived it so that it became tapered into a wedge. while depressing the antibear trap I slid it underneath the opposite end of the button. No more problems and can be pulled out if I am lending the gun to a novice (but I wont share Amy with anyone unsupervised). No ratchet and no sodding around pushing buttons while loading. Fab conversion.

Lovely Review mate, nice read, have to say that I ADORE my TX with the V-Mach kit. very accurate and consistent.
    Hi Rex, one of the first things we did to the HW77's and later the HW97 was to remove the anti-bear trap. It is better to develope a good technique when handling the guns than rely on something that 'may' fail,make you complacent and get sloppy. It does't take much to create an accident which will be severe.I agree with you beginners certainly should be supervised,but I will not allow them to load one,I do that myself.
    p.s. You just can't beat a 25mm piston HW77.
    HERX77 .
    Fighter against the "Dark Arts" A stranger in an even stranger land.
    GC2+Leupold 14.4-34x45
    AA400 fac receiver+sidewinder 8.5-34x52
    Weihrauch HW77k fiddled with and doing what it wants to +Zeiss 3-9x36.
    Weihrauch HW90k
    Weihrauch HW97k learning from above,now sporting a Maccarri 77/97 target stock..+Bushnell 3200.Go on shoot one you know you want to
    Daystate mk3 RT Delux + bushnell 4200 8-24x 40Does what it should again & again.
    Fwb 124 + Optima was good is good!
    Webley Vulcan.

dont forget the tx200 has a buttoned piston as std.....not sure if its factory tuned ???

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    All this talk of bear traps (or anti bear-traps) on HWs - they don't have them ! They just have a crappy trigger blocker that stops you pulling the trigger with the lever open.

Unlike the TXs system, it will do nothing:
    1) if the trigger sear breaks or malfunctions whilst loading
    2) if you let go of the lever midway through cocking
    3) if the cocking shoe or lever break whilst cocking

As has been said the safest thing is to hold the lever whilst loading (on either gun), but the TX system at least helps reduce the (fairly low) risk of failures, human or mechanical, during both loading and cocking. The HWs just stops you from being really stupid (or decocking the gun).

leadpig is offline sheet lead welder extraordinaire
    bought a hw97, wish i bought the tx, the 97 just felt lifeless

Having not had a 97,though did have a 98 and an 80,i cant compare the 2 but i do have a TX200 though not sure on the model series.Whilst it can be a bit fiddly to load with its bear trap etc,i find it a very consistent rifle,albeit a damn site louder than my pcp`s when fired,though a lot of this is spring noise,but i still love it

A 97/77 out of the box will be much louder than a TX full length.

The TXHC is seriously loud though.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    Good review !

Had a 97KT .177 for a while and it was a superb air rifle. Only recently acquired a Mk. 2 TX200h/c in .22 with a dark L/H stock and despite the bear trap, I really rate it ! OK, both are heavy, I wouldn't want to to lug either around my shoots as they are far too hilly and cover a large area.
    Like the idea of the synth. stock on the 97KT option though. Not everyone's cup of tea I know but I like them on my guns, especially for use in lousy weather.
    As such, they get wet through, I get the odd dent and bang on the stock but thats all part of the game.
    Since posting this, I've got really chummy with my TX.
    Yep, I have a few nice tuned Vy-rarrks and I love em but this TX teamed up with a Simmo Pro Air Rocks !
    Looking at it, I'm thinking that it and its ilk have got to be the best spring air rifle available out of the box for the money !
    “An airgun or two”………