Thread: hawke sidewinder

hawke sidewinder

sold my 4/14/42 sidewinder mill dot , and treated myself to a new hawke sidewinder 8/32.56 with sr pro retical.these scopes are good.very clear and bright,well made.very happy with it.had a lend of a friends gun today fitted with mtc 8/32/56 viper.this scope seemed much sharper and brighter. know if this is a personal thing or has mtc got the edge?? bit or a rubbish review I know,but anyone thinking of buying a sidewinder also checkout viper.also its a bit cheaper.

I've got a Sidewinder 4-16x50 10x 1/2 mildot, without doubt the finest mil-dot ret I have yet found, & to my eye at least superb glass.

How does the viper compare ? unfortunatly I find many mil-dots way too thick & clumsy.

I went from a viper to a sidewinder, the viper kept misting up. I also prefere the sidewinder ret.
    Wake up, there's no father christmas, no tooth fairy and no god. Get over it

why i like hawke sidewinders

I like my 4/14/42 sidewinder mill dot , and treated myself to a new hawke sidewinder 4/16+50 with a mill dot reticle. these are brilliant scopes .very clear and bright, well made. very very happy, i was going to buy a viper scope ,just before xmas for a change , but as i use the target turrets B.D.C. instead of all the mill dots , the man at the shop said hawke was better for me than the viper, you get more clicks with a sidewinder , than a viper what he meant was i did not have to turn the turret round as far with my hawke , IE set up 30yd slacken top turret and turn the turret to 0 then 40yd 2 click .45yd 3click 50yd 5 click ets. anyway that's a very good reason why i love hawke sidewinders , i no my way is old fashioned bud its very very accurite. i hope this helps thanks bob.
    Last edited by fife; 19-01-2023 at 10:23 AM. Reason: spellings

I had an MTC viper 6-24x56 on my old HW100 and was to big, heavy misted up, i have now got 2 x sidewinder 30 4-16x50 on both my Daystates and they are loads more suitable for where i shoot.

I have a sidewinder 30 IR and love it. I also have a Nikon scope that was damn expensive but I prefer the optics in the sidewinder. Great scopes for the money.

Jack

I have a Sidewinder 3-12x50 10x half mildot and absolutely LOVE it. Had a Platinum Nighteater and a Viper, and neither come close to the SW, IMHO.

I have /had Two Sidewinders, First one was bought second-hand, This one had the mill dot ret,This one i will refer too as the (old)one, So the old one would not keep a zero,myself and my son attempting to and failing to hold the zero, simple cure which took all of 3 days, Deben kindly looked at it, As said returned within 3days an the scope is perfect, apparently (erector) spring was changed,So there we have it ,a Scope i would class as brilliant,Now i have a class scope,What do i do, Give it away to my son,an off to the Gun-shop to buy a brand new one...The new one (sr pro) which i have had around 5/6 months has deteriorated somewhat in that time,This scope is at Deben`s as we speak (print) ,It struggle`s to hold a zero combined with the visual clarity of shall we say a cheap scope, Reader please remember i also have access to the (lads) scope for comparison, Back to the New scope, If i unlock the rear eyepiece ring there is a lot of play (up an down/side to side) It may well turn out to be a simple cure of a lens not aligned correctly,,, So i await the result from Deben, and of-course i will report the result here, But in conclusion to date, A brilliant Scope when all working fine, but as in all Mass produced products there will be odd hick-up .Thank you for reading, As Arnie says "i`ll be back"
    1 Rapid+sentinal n/v, 1 HW100+ Mamba lite

Vermin Al is offline Some say, ..... 4,000fps is enough
    I have the 6-24x56 Sidewinder with SR Pro reticle and am very pleased; good clear optics and rock solid zero.
    Al

I have a Hawke Nighteye on my .17HMR and I love it... Such a crisp image and the reticle looks nice and sharp!

Recently tried a Nikko... The image was ok, but the reticle was nowhere near as sharp!

I'm now looking for a Sidewinder to put on my .223!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay666d View Post
    I have a Hawke Nighteye on my .17HMR and I love it... Such a crisp image and the reticle looks nice and sharp!

Recently tried a Nikko... The image was ok, but the reticle was nowhere near as sharp!

I'm now looking for a Sidewinder to put on my .223!
    I had a 4-16x50SF Sidewinder30 on my .223 for a while. Took it off as not as clear and crisp at 300yds as the Nikko Stirling Japanese Diamond 4.5-14x50AO i put back on Each to their own
    John Darling JD (1946-2004) was my inspiration to be the best i can and enjoy the sport i love. R.I.P
    A dedicated HW80 Fanatic and owner since 1986 to present.

I`m back,well i said i would be,Sent mind off to Deben with a explanation of what i think is not right,which is,(an bear with me as i am a layman in these fields) i think there is something wrong with the Parallax lens (if there is one).well Deben sent it back saying nothing wrong,ok i will keep trying the scope,so saying i zero for 20 yds an then Parallax for 40 it will be off to the left,also as an example i look out my window an there is a tree around 25yds away,sharp in focus an the side-wheel reads between 60 an 100yds.Been to the shop this morning an bought myself a Mamba lite,as something to use while i decide what to do with the Sidewinder.As a side note,,The Mamba reads true(ish) for the range,also zeroed the Mamba in the Garden (15yds)an the scope a little low but the vertical line 1 click out, an i mean 1 click.Surprised me. Anyway back to the Sidewinder, would i recommend ,afraid not.
    1 Rapid+sentinal n/v, 1 HW100+ Mamba lite

Quote Originally Posted by jumbuck View Post
    I had a 4-16x50SF Sidewinder30 on my .223 for a while. Took it off as not as clear and crisp at 300yds as the Nikko Stirling Japanese Diamond 4.5-14x50AO i put back on Each to their own
    Indeed, I have never yet looked through a Nikko sterling that gives a clear picture

I've got Sidewinders on both HMR, 4-16x50, & WMR 4.5-14x42, both 10x 1/2 mil-dot, they are the best glass at that price level & the ret is simply superb, very fine for daylight use on high mag yet still easily visible through an NV add on.

As it happens both have had problems with the ret coming loose/not holding zero, so both have been tested & replaced under warranty, but that does not put me off them in the slightest.