Thread: Buying a HW95 already tuned, Sandwell field sports or Welsh willie

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Buying a HW95 already tuned, Sandwell field sports or Welsh willie

Morning Chaps, I have a question for all you springer tuning experts out there, As i seem to have failed miserably to find a second hand HW95 i'm now looking at buying 1 new, I've decide to go for a tuned gun right from the off and have narrowed my choice down to 2, these being the welsh willie tuned or sandwell field sports tuned guns, As there is only a couple of quid difference in prices between these 2 guns supplied and tuned this decision isn't down to cost but which is the most highly rated, So anyone out there who has 1 or the other or even both and can give me some feedback on which is the best tune up it would be much appreciated

Cheers Tim

I carnt comment on the welsh willy tuned guns as ive never shot or owned one but I do have a sandwell field sports stage 2 tuned hw97kt and its the muts nuts, before my chrono started playing up I did a 10 shot string threw it with a deviation on the fps of 6fps over the 10 shots, pcp accuracy and fps spread of a high end pcp

I have a stage 1 tuned HW95 .20 caliber from SFS. Tony imported and tuned it on arrival then sent it to my local RFD. It was my cheapest option for this tuned gun and five years and five guns later it is still my favourite.

Tony is a cracking guy to deal with together with his team, i would go as far to say one of the best to deal with in the UK and believe me i have bought from a few.

I am trying out an sfs tuned HW this coming week when Magnum Mike returns from his hols.

BILL50

Most stage 1 tuned rifles are much the same as the work done is pretty simple but if you want a HW95 in the top state of tune then a 'Banshee' from SFS is a great shooting experience. Is is better than the Venom Hornet? Probably not. If I was looking for any of the market leading tuned rifles-HW77, HW97, HW80, HW95/98 -I'd buy the first one that comes up at the right sort of price. If that was SFS, Venom V Mach or Airmasters I wouldn't care and wouldn't hang around. If I found I didn't like it I'd sell it to someone who did. Tuned rifles are usually quite easy to sell as both serious users and collectors are on the look out for good examples. One thing that really does help is paperwork. Having it can add quite a bit to the price because sadly words like 'Venom tuned' are over-used and in some cases fraudulently used. Recently a friend of mine bought a HW95 with a Banshee-engraved barrel which turned out to be just that: a bog-standard HW95 with a barrel engraved 'Banshee' .Presumably some unscrupulous previous owner had just swapped the actions over. It is essential to have a record of work done matched with serial numbers which sadly SFS appear not to have. My friend contacted them and got no significant help in establishing what had happened which was a shame. I must confess to being surprised that they were indifferent to someone passing off a standard twangy HW95 as a 'Banshee' just because it had 'Banshee engraved on the barrel but there we are. If Tony Wall reads this post I'd be happy to put him in the picture as to what happened.
    Last edited by Rapidnick; 30-05-2013 at 04:33 PM.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Ive heard good things about both. If I were to choose, it would prob be sfs for me.
    AA TX200 MKIII .177 + Nutshot Silencer
    My Site / Wooden Gates / Decking Strips

Quote Originally Posted by goonertim View Post
    Morning Chaps, I have a question for all you springer tuning experts out there, As i seem to have failed miserably to find a second hand HW95 i'm now looking at buying 1 new, I've decide to go for a tuned gun right from the off and have narrowed my choice down to 2, these being the welsh willie tuned or sandwell field sports tuned guns, As there is only a couple of quid difference in prices between these 2 guns supplied and tuned this decision isn't down to cost but which is the most highly rated, So anyone out there who has 1 or the other or even both and can give me some feedback on which is the best tune up it would be much appreciated

Cheers Tim
    hello, i am sure both will do an excellent tune of a HW95 but at a cost of an extra £165 plus?? these are not like the internals of chinese airguns and only need a spring tube and piston polish and re lube. you could see if a local rfd has a 95 and then get him to fit a spring guide and top hat. bearing in mind it may void the HW warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboyshooter View Post
    hello, i am sure both will do an excellent tune of a HW95 but at a cost of an extra £165 plus?? these are not like the internals of chinese airguns and only need a spring tube and piston polish and re lube. you could see if a local rfd has a 95 and then get him to fit a spring guide and top hat. bearing in mind it may void the HW warranty.
    Hi mate, Unfortnately my local RFD who can supply them is the Air Gun Center( not a great shop imo) They want £339 and aren't interested in any kind of deal even though i told them i'm not bothered about their lifetime guarantee, so having spoke to both Willie and Tony, both can supply a new tuned HW95 around the £380ish mark +pp, and tbh from what i've read about both of them on this and other forums it seems the £40 extra i'll spend over getting it locally is money well spent over an off the shelf gun

Quote Originally Posted by oldboyshooter View Post
    My stage 1 tune at SFS cost me 75 quid very good value for money I think as a trigger tune is Included . A V mach kit costs that alone and then you have to fit yourself
    A few nice rifles

Quote Originally Posted by magnummike View Post
    My stage 1 tune at SFS cost me 75 quid very good value for money I think as a trigger tune is Included . A V mach kit costs that alone and then you have to fit yourself
    And i am having the pleasure of shooting it when we meet up.

BILL50

Cant speak for W willy's stuff,but only read good comment's so far,
    Same for Tony-Bigtoe, good guy too,
    I do like the SFS stuff I've owned,a spectre and a phantom,
    really nice to use,
    the 95 seem's to be the preffered work up model nowaday's, excellent platform to go on,
    nice rifle as is new when a few tins in,
    any chance there is a .22 spectre owner out there who might prefer a .177 ?
    But as already said,
    the main rifle reworker's all do a fine job, without having them all lined up to try in the same calibre,it'd be a tough one to opinionate on,
    the mention of a banshee rebarreled 95 sold as real,
    There was a banshee barrel sold on here a while back,although i'd hope that was a different one than the above mentioned etc,
    and as a fyi,
    the current banshee is around the 7 mark at last check,
    which when you break down the part's isn't too unfair overall,
    custom stock,worked up rifle,original rifle cost, etc,
    my current go to favourite is the phantom, from SFS, not sure on the answer if my spectre was .22 though,lol,

Will any of these professional tunes make the 95 more manageable in 177 calibre?

I was thinking of buying one ready tuned but set at 10ft lbs, because that is more than enough power for me. Would a tuned, 177 HW95 set at 10ft lbs still experience muzzle flip?
    Last edited by Arthur John Smithsplease; 03-06-2013 at 12:22 AM.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.