Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying a HW95 already tuned, Sandwell field sports or Welsh willie

I have an sfs spectre and its the rifle i pick up most often...even before a v glided 77 and 97...or even an airwolf for that matter..

Dont know about Welsh Willy but i'm sure he's very good too.

A sfs tuned 95 would be a hard to beat tuned springer imvho.

Cool I bet you cant say all that in one breath!!

Quote Originally Posted by bigtoe01 View Post
    If I were an RFD and I tuned these guns professionally here is what I would do...and what I have just done to my 95/98

Shorten the piston stroke to 74mm, add front piston bearing (10mm wide PTFE) lighten piston to 250g and add 3x8mm buttons to rear, true piston to rod.
    TP opened to 3.6mm
    new HW seal...new type is more efficient(although it looks like they have withdrawn them) and gun 100% lubed with Krytox
    Spring is a new spec I have been working on with Wonky Donky, its based on the LGV spring but of better quality and sized to fit HW pistons superbly
    new tophat and rear guide ( I still have to make the rear guide, using a standard one for the moment while i test)
    Deburr and polish cocking slot, size cocking shoe and polish.
    Quick release cocking lever axis pin ( i did it JB style this time with a flat on the pin and 4mm grub screw tapped on the underside of the hole to hold it)
    Full trigger tune and Rowan straight setback blade, 3mm 1st stage, medium weight and crisp let off
    Mine has a 98 barrel but on a 95 it would get either a shroud or at minimum a 280g barrel/muzzle weight on a 410mm barrel...blued to match. Something like the barrel weight on fatwelshboys.

However, there is way more than 200quids worth of work there and no one wants to pay...so i just do my own.
    That sounds awesome
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

If I were an RFD and I tuned these guns professionally here is what I would do...and what I have just done to my 95/98

Shorten the piston stroke to 74mm, add front piston bearing (10mm wide PTFE) lighten piston to 250g and add 3x8mm buttons to rear, true piston to rod.
    TP opened to 3.6mm
    new HW seal...new type is more efficient(although it looks like they have withdrawn them) and gun 100% lubed with Krytox
    Spring is a new spec I have been working on with Wonky Donky, its based on the LGV spring but of better quality and sized to fit HW pistons superbly
    new tophat and rear guide ( I still have to make the rear guide, using a standard one for the moment while i test)
    Quick release cocking lever axis pin ( i did it JB style this time with a flat on the pin and 4mm grub screw tapped on the underside of the hole to hold it)
    Full trigger tune and Rowan straight setback blade, 3mm 1st stage, medium weight and crisp let off
    Mine has a 98 barrel but on a 95 it would get either a shroud or at minimum a 280g barrel/muzzle weight on a 410mm barrel...blued to match. Something like the barrel weight on fatwelshboys.

However, there is way more than 200quids worth of work there and no one wants to pay...so i just do my own.
    WOW, Thanks for the answer bigtoe01, I'll start saving,!!! lol

Quote Originally Posted by goonertim View Post
    Morning Chaps, I have a question for all you springer tuning experts out there, As i seem to have failed miserably to find a second hand HW95 i'm now looking at buying 1 new, I've decide to go for a tuned gun right from the off and have narrowed my choice down to 2, these being the welsh willie tuned or sandwell field sports tuned guns, As there is only a couple of quid difference in prices between these 2 guns supplied and tuned this decision isn't down to cost but which is the most highly rated, So anyone out there who has 1 or the other or even both and can give me some feedback on which is the best tune up it would be much appreciated

Cheers Tim
    hello, i am sure both will do an excellent tune of a HW95 but at a cost of an extra £165 plus?? these are not like the internals of chinese airguns and only need a spring tube and piston polish and re lube. you could see if a local rfd has a 95 and then get him to fit a spring guide and top hat. bearing in mind it may void the HW warranty.

TP opened to 3.6mm

Is that all.??? lol, I'll start saving

Looks like I better start saving.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboyshooter View Post
    hello, i am sure both will do an excellent tune of a HW95 but at a cost of an extra £165 plus?? these are not like the internals of chinese airguns and only need a spring tube and piston polish and re lube. you could see if a local rfd has a 95 and then get him to fit a spring guide and top hat. bearing in mind it may void the HW warranty.
    Hi mate, Unfortnately my local RFD who can supply them is the Air Gun Center( not a great shop imo) They want £339 and aren't interested in any kind of deal even though i told them i'm not bothered about their lifetime guarantee, so having spoke to both Willie and Tony, both can supply a new tuned HW95 around the £380ish mark +pp, and tbh from what i've read about both of them on this and other forums it seems the £40 extra i'll spend over getting it locally is money well spent over an off the shelf gun

Quote Originally Posted by oldboyshooter View Post
    My stage 1 tune at SFS cost me 75 quid very good value for money I think as a trigger tune is Included . A V mach kit costs that alone and then you have to fit yourself
    A few nice rifles

Quote Originally Posted by magnummike View Post
    My stage 1 tune at SFS cost me 75 quid very good value for money I think as a trigger tune is Included . A V mach kit costs that alone and then you have to fit yourself
    And i am having the pleasure of shooting it when we meet up.

BILL50

Cant speak for W willy's stuff,but only read good comment's so far,
    Same for Tony-Bigtoe, good guy too,
    I do like the SFS stuff I've owned,a spectre and a phantom,
    really nice to use,
    the 95 seem's to be the preffered work up model nowaday's, excellent platform to go on,
    nice rifle as is new when a few tins in,
    any chance there is a .22 spectre owner out there who might prefer a .177 ?
    But as already said,
    the main rifle reworker's all do a fine job, without having them all lined up to try in the same calibre,it'd be a tough one to opinionate on,
    the mention of a banshee rebarreled 95 sold as real,
    There was a banshee barrel sold on here a while back,although i'd hope that was a different one than the above mentioned etc,
    and as a fyi,
    the current banshee is around the 7 mark at last check,
    which when you break down the part's isn't too unfair overall,
    custom stock,worked up rifle,original rifle cost, etc,
    my current go to favourite is the phantom, from SFS, not sure on the answer if my spectre was .22 though,lol,

Will any of these professional tunes make the 95 more manageable in 177 calibre?

I was thinking of buying one ready tuned but set at 10ft lbs, because that is more than enough power for me. Would a tuned, 177 HW95 set at 10ft lbs still experience muzzle flip?
    Last edited by Arthur John Smithsplease; 03-06-2013 at 12:22 AM.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post
    Will any of these professional tunes make the 95 more manageable in 177 calibre?

I was thinking of buying one ready tuned but set at 10ft lbs, because that is more than enough power for me. Would a tuned, 177 HW95 set at 10ft lbs still experience barrel flip?
    If a .177 a tune will make it very smooth at 10fpe, however when you actually look at what a tuner is doing 95% can be done by the end user if they are willing to open up the gun and take their time. What you need to remember is the lower power guns such as the 50 and 55 had a smaller swept volume and lighter piston...and there is a reason for this.

Saying that 10fpe from a 95 would still be nice using the standard hardware, good lube and a good polish

Thanks BigToe.

Have a feeling, bearing in mind what you have said, that the HW35 might be a better option for me.

Tried the 95 twice (both new) in 177 and didn't like the firing manners. Just found them too light for the power they were putting out. Of course neither of them had been tuned. I did like the look and balance of them, though.

Another option would be to get an 80 and have it short stroked. Lot of extra weight though. What do you reckon?
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

I find good Moly and a cross hatched compression chamber make a huge difference, open transfer port depending on model, my 80 was 3.6 , better seal (V-Mach) and make sure your guides fit tight well as the spring fitting tight into piston. Cross hatching is easy and ensures constant lubrication behind the seal, good moly is essential to avoid galling. I like Maccari springs and a with the 95 a bit of weight on the top hat. Most springer recoil that is problamatic comes at the end of the stroke when it bounces off the remaining air, a profile on the transfer port and a decent seat for the pellet will in effect size a slightly over dia pellet and if the piston is balanced with weight and a good spring, bounce should be reduced. Thick wire less coils sems way to go, but I tuned mainly FAC many moons ago and found I could get a well .22 80 to shoot 20ft/lb with manners akin to a 12ft/lb. If i could find one I would tune an 85 as they tended to be made before tolerences fell. I also find a good polish on the end block flat helps the rear guide, short stroking i find harsh anhave had many arguments over long stroke thick wire low coil number guns versus high coil light short stroked guns. I prefer the former long term, consistent use. My current 77 has fired tens of thousands the same seal, spring and transfer seal with a 4fps average +/- . Don't over lube the main spring as it adds temp variations with viscosity and long-term migration. People often say PCP's are the only FAC option but a 97 at 19fpe is very useful around feeders and a great pigeon gun. Another myth is sound, a good tune and moderator mean i can hear thwhizz of my pellets and more vibration in the stock than sound that carries. One last easy tune is lead in the stock, balances the and again gives that pesky two way recoil a buffer. If I wanted a power tune long stroke 80 with mods will if the compression are is true and cross hatched, plus your piston is equally toleranced with a transfer seal and true barrel, you can have 22fpe and no more noise than a spring soaked in honey humopinion only.
    Stuff on the box.

Sorry spelling, syntax and grammer suffering due to slight personal issues
    Stuff on the box.