Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Falke Mod 80 and BSF S54

Falke Mod 80 and BSF S54

A South African friend of mine came over for the Phoenix Meeting and he brought two old airgun asnd asked if I could sell them on his behalf.

As per the title they consist of a Falke Mod 80 and a BSF S54.

Dealing with the Falke first, it is missing the entire rearsight and the foresight blade, otherwise it appears to be all there. It cocks and fires OK, bit twangy, condition wise it is a restoration project, it has finish on it but this has very much dulled but no major rust on the exposed metal that I have found so far. I haven't yet taken the stock off it to check the underside. The stock appears to be a beech like wood and will benefit from asome work to tidy it and re-finish it.

The BSF S54 is largely complete with the exception of two small pins that retain the foresight assembly and the foresight blade. Again rifle cocks and fires OK albeit with a bit of twang. It has a dull finish and again will benefit from a bit of TLC spent on it.

I would appreciate if anyone might have some ballpark figures as to what would be a fair price to ask for these old timers.

Now advertised on separate sales thread.
    Last edited by rockdrill; 10-06-2013 at 06:16 AM.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

I can only comment on the Falke 80 and by the the description you give without photo's it is difficult to say,but I would guess around 175 pounds.
    The stock should be made of Elm by the way.ATB

Like Mark I can only comment on the Falke really. Without a hard to replace rear sight and front sight blade its value is diminished, so I'd say under £200 too. Not sure about the BSF but I did read the other day that front sight parts are in stock at Chambers. Value probably a bit less than the Falke, I guess. Pics would help.

Edit: for anyone that buys the Falke and wants to fabricate a front sight element - which is highly profiled but nevertheless a single piece of metal - I can help with dimensions, pics etc.
    Last edited by Garvin; 05-06-2013 at 09:45 AM.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Thank you for the estimates.

I will sort pictures and set up a sales thread.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

falke mod 80

Someone on the falke forum made a rearsight that was identical to the original! I'd love one but funds don't allow at the moment.I often wonder if they were pre the bsa airsporter & bsa "borrowed the design?

Quote Originally Posted by junglie View Post
    I often wonder if they were pre the bsa airsporter & bsa "borrowed the design?
    I think it's more likely the other way around. The Falke 80/90 first came out in about 1952, several years after the Club/Airsporter.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

falke 80

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    I think it's more likely the other way around. The Falke 80/90 first came out in about 1952, several years after the Club/Airsporter.
    I meant to add or vice versa but forgot to edit my post, thats solved a puzzle for me then.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by junglie View Post
    Someone on the falke forum made a rearsight that was identical to the original!
    I think that fellow might have died and can't help us make Falke parts, except by encouraging imitation of his fine engineering skills and can-do attitude.

A HW77 rearsight can be pressed into action easily, or a a scope mount made up, or a HW peepsight sleeved down and attached to the back block.

Two rough but mighty overengineered underlevers from Germania, this is what the Collectors Corner needs!

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    I think that fellow might have died and can't help us make Falke parts, except by encouraging imitation of his fine engineering skills and can-do attitude.

A HW77 rearsight can be pressed into action easily, or a a scope mount made up, or a HW peepsight sleeved down and attached to the back block.

Two rough but mighty overengineered underlevers from Germania, this is what the Collectors Corner needs!
    There are actually two different British master engineers who have remanufactured Falke rearsights that I know of - there's the old chap who did the one Lakey now has, who sadly died, and there's Patrick, who built one to put on the Falke 80 he got from you, Alistair. Patrick made two sights at the same time and the surplus one now resides in the US, I believe.

Vintage Airguns Gallery

Hi Garvin,
    That was me. I made two while I had the tooling set up. I sold one and still have and use the other.
    I wasn't aware that the one I sold had found its way to America

Quote Originally Posted by Patf View Post
    Hi Garvin,
    That was me. I made two while I had the tooling set up. I sold one and still have and use the other.
    I wasn't aware that the one I sold had found its way to America
    Nice to see you here, Pat! I didn't realise you were a long time member. That rear sight project, in fact the whole restoration, was a remarkable achievement. It's amazing what talent lies quietly within the BBS membership.

The 'spare' rear sight is now in the hands of another BBS member in the US. As I recall, the person you sold it to was a UK relative of his.

Edit: before and after restoration pics HERE.
    Last edited by Garvin; 08-06-2013 at 11:09 AM.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post

Edit: before and after restoration pics HERE.
    That is my favorite restoration. I am so glad I sold that rifle, it would never have happened on my watch!

Used the gun today actually. Still shooting smooth, sweet and accurate.
    Always gets plenty of attention from the collectors in the know. The others think it is some kind of fancy Airsporter

Quote Originally Posted by Patf View Post
    Used the gun today actually. Still shooting smooth, sweet and accurate.
    Always gets plenty of attention from the collectors in the know. The others think it is some kind of fancy Airsporter
    I can't remember which spring I put in that in the end. I think it was a cut-down HW50.

I put a new spring in after that, can't remember what now. Any way it was a bit on the harsh side so I cut off a couple of coils and that smoothed it out. Seem to think it was just short of 10 ft lbs when it was tested