Thread: What sort of power did these bsa standards give out in .177?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What sort of power did these bsa standards give out in .177?

Hi guys, I'm restoring an old standard although I don't know how old it is as yet? I'd like to know what sort of power these things should have.

It's .177 and it has the push button underleaver with numbers on the trigger block starting with the letter c I believe but will double check tommorow, as if love to know what sort of age it was made too?

Any help much appreciated as always.

Really looking forward to shooting this old girl.

Thanks
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Dan944 View Post
    Hi guys, I'm restoring an old standard although I don't know how old it is as yet? I'd like to know what sort of power these things should have.

It's .177 and it has the push button underleaver with numbers on the trigger block starting with the letter c I believe but will double check tommorow, as if love to know what sort of age it was made too?

Any help much appreciated as always.

Really looking forward to shooting this old girl.

Thanks
    Daniel
    Daniel it will depend on whether you have a 1930s "CS" or "C" prefix model, which were around 43.5 inches long, or an earlier "CS" model which was 45.5 inches long and are quite scarce. IIRC the shorter rifles tend to be around 8 or 9 foot pounds and the full length ones more like 10 or even higher. These figures assume they are in good internal condition and properly run in. I know there are occasionally examples of the full length pre-War BSAs that come closer to 12 ft lbs but they are the exception. I have a beautiful full length CS that shot very sweetly at around 10 ft lbs when I last used it. I can't remember which pellets I was using.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Daniel it will depend on whether you have a 1930s "CS" or "C" prefix model, which were around 43.5 inches long, or an earlier "CS" model which was 45.5 inches long and are quite scarce. IIRC the shorter rifles tend to be around 8 or 9 foot pounds and the full length ones more like 10 or even higher. These figures assume they are in good internal condition and properly run in. I know there are occasionally examples of the full length pre-War BSAs that come closer to 12 ft lbs but they are the exception. I have a beautiful full length CS that shot very sweetly at around 10 ft lbs when I last used it. I can't remember which pellets I was using.
    Hi Garvin,
    Thanks for your reply, I will measure it later tonight as I'm on a late and see exactly what the numbers are, and the length.

Couple if questions, where should I be measuring from? Ie the end of the barrel to the rear where the stock attaches?

Also where are the serial numbers to identify the make and year? Are they the ones on the side of the trigger block?

Thanks
    Daniel

Length

Hi. Measure whole length of gun. Yes the letters numbers on the trigger block ar the ones to use.
    Lovely guns. My club standard was nearly full power but shot a lot more sweetly when I reduced it to around 8 ftlb.
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

Thanks for the responses, I just managed to pop home to get some material and quickly had a look at the gun. This is the trigger block number : cs22108. And from the end of the barrel to the back of the trigger block where the stock would bolt on, it measures 82 inches.

I would love to know the power this should give and the age of this gun.

Thanks for any info
    Daniel

Thanks for the responses, I just managed to pop home to get some material and quickly had a look at the gun. This is the trigger block number : cs22108. And from the end of the barrel to the back of the trigger block where the stock would bolt on, it measures 82 inches.

Thanks for any info
    Daniel
    Daniel, 82inches!!!!, that's 6ft 10 inches. I nearly spluttered tea over the keyboard, if only this were true it would be something really special, a giant exhibition piece, a one off, whatever size it is its special anyway I love these pre war BSA underleavers, Atb John

Thanks for any info
    Daniel
    Hi Daniel,

I would of thought around 8 & 10 ft lbs would be about right for your CS which according to John Knibbs dates between 1930 - 1936.

Regards

Brian

Quick update:

Recieved the new airsporter spring and it fits the piston nice but the rear guide has allot of space around it.

Having said this about the rear guide, it actually shoots quite nice with no twang, and cocks smooth.

It's only chronoing 6.6 -7.5 at the moment but it is dieselling a little every couple of shots.

It's only gone up a little from the original 5.6 but I'm going to live with this and just enjoy it! I'm not gonna chase the power anymore unless there's something I'm missing.

As had been said here before that this rifle is sweeter at 8ftlb so maybe I'm on to a winner when it settles, and to be honest as long as its accurate enough to have a good plink out to 35 ish yards then I'll get loads of use and fun out of it for years to come and I'd like to pass it down eventually as I feel it deserves it.

I really love this gun even though it does look very very worn and unloved but I have high hopes for it and think that it's gonna look really different to most when I've finished.

I am going to carry on with this thread however as I'd really like to put in some good groups out at different ranges once it settles down, and also I'm going to renovate the action and go down a different route instead of the normal cold blueing ect. ( I'm going for something a little different ). I think that maybe people may be interested in seeing what it looks like before and after.

So I will be posting some before and after photos soon as I get a chance.

Thanks
    Daniel