Thread: webley alecto what calibre .177 or .20 ruled out .22

webley alecto what calibre .177 or .20 ruled out .22

was going to buy my alecto today but i have put off getting it till the shop re-opens tuesday after struggling with which calibre to get ,had a chat with the guy in the shop and he said you cant beat .20 as it gives the best off both worlds, flatter path and a good bang and stopping power for plinking , so came away to think about it ,caught between .177 and . 20
    would like opinions ,what do you think, i have changed mymind and thoughts several times, so over to the pro`s and your point of views , i want to stretch the distance and plink mainly with it at cans and also a bit of target fun etc
    also anyone know what silencer fits these, a link would be nice D

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    As a firm fan and everyday user of air rifles in .20 I would definitely go .177!

There is no advantage over .177 or .22 where cans are concerned. .177 if you want distance, .22 if you want them to jump in the air.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Which ever calibre you choose will be the wrong one. ! This is a fact whenever you cannot decide.

Either will do what you want, so why not stand out from the crowd and go for the .20.
    I have rifles in all 3 calibres and like them all for different reasons.
    Don't listen to anyones opinion on here..... just go for the one YOU want.

I have my Alecto in .22, and I wouldn't swap it for anything else, it's very accurate and it sure makes the cans jump!
    It's not the destination; but the journey that counts!
    You can take the lad out of Essex; but not Essex out of the lad!

In my opinion:

Pistol:
    At 6ft/lb maximum for an air pistol .177 would be the best calibre choice.

Rifle:
    .177 for HFT and FT with pcp rifles.
    However, if you are starting from scratch then for a recoiling rifle, or for hunting, with either recoiling or pcp, go for .20.

.22 has a low recoil, which is good, but its trajectory is embarrassingly circular - requiring large hold-over estimations.
    HW40PCA .177 - Mk3S .177 - HW97K .20 - SLR98 .20

Kloppville- 10,533 miles from Lake Mulwala.
    Just bear in mind pellet choice in .20 cal is limited!

Cheers.

Roy.
    If it moves.....shoot it!..If it don't move.....shoot it in case it tries to!!!
    Light travels faster than sound....this is why I appear bright until you hear me speak!!!

paul4be is offline Everything has an end, only the sausage has two
    .177 definitely.

It will give you a better trajectory than .20 at the lower power levels. I have used mine in .177 on targets on to 45 yards on the plinking range.

Also, bear in mind the better choice of pellets in .177 and the fact that they are cheaper!!!!!!!!!!!
    Good deals with: ali d (twice), mattinlondon, mikemorton, jonboy, the wizard, Moza, markH, fok, gunslinger, Fisherman1, bigwull, mikewareing, TwoTitans,hairydog, airguns, dcl dave, Stuart B, mattie, Locksley, MARK, albrown, kjud, spud, gedfinn2, wasteoid, bullcelt, bunnysniper, wasteoid, pokeandhope, honda+more

i have a 177 alecto,and a 20 cal crosman e9a .i love the 20 cal both pistols are bang on 6 ft lbs.but i prefer the 20 cal e9a.
    so might have to sell the allecto.

.20 cal.[webley] alecto

also anyone know what silencer fits these, a link would be nice D[/QUOTE]
    Hear that the [alecto] won the 2012 gold award best air/gaspistol at the NurembergNerfest.It's available with either left/right-hand grip and in the .177 blasts pell at 560 fps/five and a half ft/lbs.;.2o cal. clocking 416 fps again de3;ivering 5.5 ft/lbs energy ;regarding an unrestricted model the figures are:.177=624 fps/7.6 ft/lbs//.20 webley@=472 fps/eight ft/lbs !
    This indicates that the heavier pell offering more skirt is showing better efficiency and more energy will be dumped in the target by the newcomer [webley .20] a develpopment of the [accupell]slug:with a pneumatic/gasgun the pell accelerates down the barrel akin to a train leaving a station and here a heavy,tight-fitting pell can exploit the more bulbous power-curve in the longer barrel say of the [alecto ultra] export-model at 10.24 inch over the u.k. spec 7.13 in. tube and here obtaining .177=738fps/ten ft/lbs.// .20=574 fps/11.29 ft/lbs. (note:nr.3 bore offers no increase in [webley]-source figures for export-only [alecto ultra] at four pumps max.charge).
    conclusionerhaps it might be fun to experiment with the heaviest and tighter -fitting of the .20 cal.pell out there-;here a [beeman]pell-seater tool with it's ball on one end for truing/opening- out skirts is a godsend!
    Regards. BBDOC
    Last edited by Hu hellaxe; 13-08-2013 at 11:22 AM.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    if you want the cans to jump more, use a heavy pellet or a flat head.

wound channel diameter is hardly an issue