Thread: FWB 300 - stock options.

FWB 300 - stock options.

Hi,

I'm refurbing a 300, metal works done and the stocks been prepped for a final finish - oiling rather than laquer - but I'm trying to finalise the "look" of the rifle - mat, satin, full gloss; to add some stain or not, grip/stippling darker or same colouration as the rest of the stock.

I can find a zillion photos of the later 300S in its various formats, but I'm struggling to find images of the 300.

I'd like to view some good images of the original factory finish, and ideally photos of any other variations people have tried on this rifle over thier 40 off year life.

Opions / suggestions also welcome, as the rifles no longer standard having received some engraving.

There's an original post in the collectors section with photo links.

Thanks in advance
    HH

I normally oil my target rifles with Tru-oil and then use stock sheen to give a satin finish, I only use enough oil to fill the grain and protect the wood to prevent it getting too glossy, shiny target rifles don't work as they give too much reflection and will do nothing for a steady grip. If you want a tougher finish use stock wax after the oil but again rub over with stock conditioner/sheen to give a satin finish..looks and works great. Avoid getting the oil on the stippled grip area's, These I normally leave other than a clean with a stiff brush and some alcohol, (meths or similar)
    Walnut stain works really well and diluted will produce a nice natural colour, one thing I did on an Original 75 was to stain and then rub back the normal contact areas a little to give a naturally used patina before oiling, came up really nicely. Be careful if thinking of staining the stippled areas a different shade as the stain will "bleed" a little into the surrounding wood before it dries. These areas will normally accept more stain than the surrounding wood so will generally come up a little darker anyway without looking unnatural.
    Last edited by nige346; 22-06-2013 at 09:16 PM.
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Quote Originally Posted by Happy-Harry View Post
    I can find a zillion photos of the later 300S in its various formats, but I'm struggling to find images of the 300.

I'd like to view some good images of the original factory finish, and ideally photos of any other variations people have tried on this rifle over thier 40 off year life.
    Have a look at the American Vintage Airguns site; there are a few users (notably Mike Driskill) on there who are absolute experts on vintage target rifles and I'm sure you'll find the necessary info.

Matt