Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feinwerkbau 80 Pristine

Feinwerkbau 80 Pristine

I have a Feinwerkbau 80 that I am considering selling to fund a PCP Pistol, Just wondering what sort of value I should put on it and what level of interest there is in these, The gun is in pristine condition with no damage, R/H Grip and in perfect working condition, Any advise would be appreciated.
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

My FWB 80 was bought years ago 2nd hand from a dealer (in minty condition), with the weights, sight elements, handbook & testcard, and cased.

It cost £225. then, and I think I sold it for a similar sum around 5 years ago.

HTH - Phil

last one sold on gstar for £325
    .177 STEYR HUNTING SCOUT SA FULL CARBON SHROUD BUSHNELL ELITE 4200

Quote Originally Posted by tigercat View Post
    last one sold on gstar for £325
    That might have been the asking price but we don't really know what it sold for (unless you were involved in the transaction?).

I would have thought a pristine FWB 80 should be worth £275, based on similar pistols sold on here and eGun.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Thanks for the replies guys, Something to think about, Problem is it shoots so well so gonna be a hard sell, My mind's telling me to keep it but then I use some of the newer PCP's and fall in love all over again, I'm average with a rifle and really don't think upgrading will make much difference but do feel my pistol shooting which is actually OK would benefit from an upgrade having tried a Morini recently,
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

Keep it!

Of all the pistols which are keepers its the FWB 65's and 80's which are top of the list, the design is superb and they are very different to any other match pistol. If there is one pistol that you should keep its this one and you will at some time regret selling it. They are collectable now as well as a good shooting pistol, in years to come they will be the valued collectable.
    Yes you should get a modern PCP, you will probably shoot better with a modern PCP, mostly because the ballance and ergonomics and the lock time is faster but they will not be any more accurate. The amount you'll get for the FWB is 20 to 30% of what it will cost you to get a Morini, keep it and save a bit harder to get a Morini.
    I still have my 65 bought new in 1972 and of all my guns its the one that would never go, sell it and some day you will regret it.
    Good Shooting
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Fwb 80

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    Of all the pistols which are keepers its the FWB 65's and 80's which are top of the list, the design is superb and they are very different to any other match pistol. If there is one pistol that you should keep its this one and you will at some time regret selling it. They are collectable now as well as a good shooting pistol, in years to come they will be the valued collectable.
    Yes you should get a modern PCP, you will probably shoot better with a modern PCP, mostly because the ballance and ergonomics and the lock time is faster but they will not be any more accurate. The amount you'll get for the FWB is 20 to 30% of what it will cost you to get a Morini, keep it and save a bit harder to get a Morini.
    I still have my 65 bought new in 1972 and of all my guns its the one that would never go, sell it and some day you will regret it.
    Good Shooting
    Robin

What Robin said is spot on
    Atb
    Dean
    Daystate Airwolf MVT.22 40ft RUGER77/17hmr RUGER SR22
    "DON'T EVER SHOOT A 17 HMR. What ever you thought you knew about 22 rim fires, and loved about them, will be lost forever. It's like dumping your wife for Miss America."

Yep, your very probably right, It was new when I got it and I know it's full history right down to what lubricant has been used for it's entire life, I reckon it's gonna be a keeper, cheers guy's
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,

I also agree with RobinC, I bought one of these fantastic pistols in 1984 for £240 and sold it when I wa down on my luck in 2002 for £160 big mistake. If I was in that position again I would not sell FWB80.

Smile Accurate

Fabulous pistols but I disagree about accuracy, the pistol is less accurate than a modern shooter, while the difference will be very small indeed with a shooter of low or moderate ability, there will be a difference. In modern target Shooting a difference of 3 percent separate the top 500shooters. Every little helps, however I accept that for most us the difference is likely to be imperceptible.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Quote Originally Posted by 10Metershooter View Post
    Fabulous pistols but I disagree about accuracy, the pistol is less accurate than a modern shooter, while the difference will be very small indeed with a shooter of low or moderate ability, there will be a difference. In modern target Shooting a difference of 3 percent separate the top 500shooters. Every little helps, however I accept that for most us the difference is likely to be imperceptible.
    Sorry you are very wrong, the accuracy is near enough the same as a modern PCP, I don't collect pistols I just keep my old ones when I moved on so I have my shooting history from when I began untill now when at 66 I just shoot for fun but I have shot at international level back in the good old days. I bought my 65 new in '72, I still have the test target, the group size is no different to the test targets on my two modern Steyrs, one slightly ragged hole, and I would question that modern pellets are better. The difference in modern pistols over the 65/80 is in ergonomics, the ballance and feel, the weight distribution, the trigger, and most importantly the lock time. The old pistols punish poor technique, if your technique is perfect the advantage is negligable, the problem is even the top shooters fail some times and the modern pistols will give you that slight advantage. I shoot in a club with two commonwealth air pistol medalists, one who won with an 80, and I can assure you they both shoot as well with a 65/80 as a modern PCP, but they still now shoot with Steyr and Morini because of the advantage in the areas I have mentioned, but the accuracy is near enough identical.
    A point I've raised before on here as an example, I use the ladies scores as a comparison reference as they are still shot as a 40 shot match as they were 40 years ago whilst the mens is now 60. Nina Stolyarova of Russia shot the ladies world air pistol record in 1973 using a FWB 65 of 392 ex 400 (and it had the black plastic grips and plastic filler!) , the current ladies world record is 393 using a Steyr LP10!!! Ok, the target was changed in '89 but the difference was tiny (the ten is now 0.5 mm smaller dia, that's 20 thou in old money) and made no difference.
    Good shooting
    Robin
    Last edited by RobinC; 01-07-2013 at 09:32 AM.
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Nope

I'm sure your right.

Quote Originally Posted by 10Metershooter View Post
    I'm sure your right.
    He is

The most important differences IMO are the ergonomics and the faster lock time - but the ease of cocking and the lighter weight also helps the modern PCP to be easier to shoot - but they are not more accurate.

In a fixed grip both types of pistols will be equally accurate, but most shooters will get a better score more often with a modern PCP match pistol.

Having said that, we have a good shooter in our club that often embarrasses himself when shooting his FWB 65 and 80 pistols when he then struggles to score as well with his PCP pistols

A lot of it can just be what you get used to - but never write off an FWB side lever pistol as not being as accurate as your PCP as one may just pop up and embarrass you - big time!
    Last edited by zooma; 01-07-2013 at 03:40 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post

Having said that, we have a good shooter in our club that often embarrasses himself when shooting his FWB 65 and 80 pistols when he then struggles to score as well with his PCP pistols
    What an idiot!

I to have a FWB65 and an '80 () and regularly shoot the '65 in the local M.P.L. series. I'm still pleasantly surprised at their accuracy when compared to my more modern pcp pistols. They just ooze character and sound engineering and its nice to obtain good results from a true classic pistol which will only appreciate in value over time.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Blimey, This has become a long debate, I can and often do shoot equal or better than those with modern PCP pistols so have no doubt about the accuracy of the FWB80, It is however easier to shoot just as accurately with a modern pistol, This I feel may lead to me shooting well more consistently, I have also had the "Bloody ell, how old is that ?" comments & then had the satisfaction of shooting a better score, (This I don't get at my regular club who see me shoot weekly), but do still pick up modern PCP's and think to myself, "Blimey, this is so easy to shoot" so I figure why make life harder than it needs to be, I love the 80, The engineering is 2nd to none and for it's age is a truly awesome pistol, but i'm not a collector or vintage pistol enthusiast, I am however someone that enjoys shooting precision pistol and strive to get as good as I can be at it.
    I a liken it to an F1 car of say the 80's, they were awesome machine's but development has made improvements since which is why drivers use newer cars, The older one's were just as quick but far harder to drive, (I'll refrain from making any tire development comments, )

cheers all Nige
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,