Thread: 1,77 or 2.2

1,77 or 2.2

i was always under the impression that a 2.2 air pistol/rifle was better than 1.77 is this true.
    or is it just that its more powerful larger pellet i know that much.
    thinking of buying another pistol in 2.2 under £100.00.(waste of money or not)

and is the power/shot distance between rifle and pistol big.
    new to this go easy on me.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Firstly, its .177 and .22! A two and a quarter inch diameter lump of lead won't go far from an air pistol!

What do you want to do? If its knock tin cans over then .22 is fun. Targets get better results with .177, the pellets are also cheaper.

There is a huge difference between rifles and pistols, and as for your budget, again what do you want to do?

Do you want a self contained or co2? Decent quality that'll last, or a cheapy that looks like a "real" gun that you can shoot Gangsta style!

Give us some more details, there are no stupid questions.
    My ignore list: ​<Hidden information>

Popcorn anyone ?

At the minute shooting targets in the garden 50 foot garden, inquired about the local club in north harrow so in the future join a club for target shooting for fun as a hobby.

so for starters a cheap pistol spring or co2 ,what would be good for practice that will be forgiving for good grouping i bought a gamo pt-85 blowback and no matter how hard i try there scattered a over the target and box.

(cheapy that looks like a "real" gun that you can shoot Gangsta style!) this is the pt-85 so a decent one that will last but wont break the bank.
    as im only starting out.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    If you want a decent-ish gun for little money that'll group nicely then I reckon an HW40 or one of its derivatives will be spot on. If you can stretch a little further then a second hand Gamo Compact will see you starting on paper to see if you like it.
    My ignore list: ​<Hidden information>

cheers for quick response ill look into them.

another quick question on this gamo pt-85 on the co2 do you need a lubrication on the top of the cylinder before placing it in lithium grease?
    and cleaning it information is nowhere to be found or will a quick spray with the gamo oil do the trick?
    cheers again for any information is appricated.

Quote Originally Posted by Alakar View Post
    Popcorn anyone ?

Brilliant !

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Popcorn anyone ?
    Why expecting someone to launch at him for asking newbie questions? cos' you could have contributed something more useful yourself...

Back on topic however, joining a club is an excellent idea, you'll be able to try some of the club guns & the lessons learnt there will help no end with getting those groups much better and will probably greatly influence your next purchase no end.
    To be honest the PT-85 isn't going to ever impress you in the accuracy stakes.
    Tinbum's recommendations are probably the best at the budget end of the market especially S/H.

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Why expecting someone to launch at him for asking newbie questions? cos' you could have contributed something more useful yourself...:rolleyes.
    Fair point. I apologise for my sense of humour.
    I should actually have said.
    Use the search facility to find many threads on this topic.
    Two good pistols to start with would be either the HW40 or a secondhand Gamo Compact . Both can be found for around £100 to £120.
    Both are recoiless and more than adequate.
    I apologise for any offense caused.

I am sorry, but I did not see the comment about popcorn as a jibe at the enquiry. I saw it as a comment to sit back and watch all the different opinions that would pour in as usual regarding calibre options.

Baz

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    I am sorry, but I did not see the comment about popcorn as a jibe at the enquiry. I saw it as a comment to sit back and watch all the different opinions that would pour in as usual regarding calibre options.

Baz
    That was my thinking when i posted it. However, forum posts are the same as emails , in that you cannot see a persons facial expression when the comment is made. Therefore it is open to mis-interpreting.
    I have had a couple of experiences regarding the " Great Calibre Debate " whilst in gun shops over the years.
    The first was in a shop where I asked if they stocked Barracuda Match pellets in .177. What rifle are they for and what are you shooting with them, I was asked. I said that they were for a HW100 and that I was shooting rabbits. I was told that .177 was for feather and paper and .22 was for fur. I should not be anywhere near rabbits with a .177 !!! I politely told the shop owner what I thought of his opinion and left. The shop is now no longer trading.
    In another shop, I overheard two blokes discussing calibre. One stated to the other that .177 is for kids, you will only wound something with it, and .22 is what you need, it is twice as powerful !!
    But lets not forget, we were all newbies once.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    That was my thinking when i posted it. However, forum posts are the same as emails , in that you cannot see a persons facial expression when the comment is made. Therefore it is open to mis-interpreting....
    Fair enough and no apology necessary, it's just I'm used to seeing that particular comment preceding someone expected to get a leathering and I did'nt think that was quite fair in this case (although there are some that deserve everything they get)...

Calibre again is so subjective...I have both calibres in rifles, but I love my .22 and how hard it hits - that said I won't entertain it as a pistol calibre, here its .177 all the way for me.
    However there are valid arguments for .177 in rifles having the flatter trajectory and .22 in pistols calming certain models 'lively' nature.
    As most things its nice to have the choice...and whats right for one person can be wrong for another using exactly the same gun! - so actually theres no correct answer in my book...
    Most people will decide for themselves if they've made the right choice for their circumstances at some point

no offense caused.

and thank you again for all the input and taking your time to share replies much appreciated ,been looking at the suggested pistols and i am getting a look round at the club in a couple of weeks then i suppose it will be time to look at rifles next, as the penny's allow insurance its adding up already.

again thanks again very helpful.