Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yukon photon 5x42

The dot is small enough to head shoot a bunny at 100yds (just) and I think the picture is pretty good though obviously not as clear as a good scope.As I've said before, for the money, it is damned good .
    Last edited by RURALRIMFIRE; 03-07-2013 at 05:05 PM.

Weight

was going to ask about the weight of these and then found it on the pulsar site at 900g which is only around 50g lighter than an N550 so with regards to being a little less bulky what are the other advantages.
    Last edited by JustinThyme; 03-07-2013 at 04:32 PM.

Dot

Quote Originally Posted by RURALRIMFIRE View Post
    The dot is small enough to shoot a bunny at 100yds (just) and I think the picture is pretty good though obviously not as clear as a good scope.As I've said before, for the money, it is damned good .
    Thanks..should be fine then for closer.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    was going to ask about the weight of these and then found it on the pulsar site at 900g which is only around 50g lighter than an N550 so with regards to being a little less bulky what are the other advantages.
    It's not much bulkier than a standard telescopic sight and looks (to me) a LOT less bulky than the N550?

Are these NV scopes available to buy from shops now? or are they out of stock/special order only etc
    cheers

I ordered mine from Scott Country in mid August and it arrived this week so it was over two months. They had 100 come in this week and I think most of them were pre ordered. They are a marmite scope and initially I was disappointed with mine( then i realised the laser illuminator did not come on automattically)but now it is mounted on the gun I am happy with it, eye relief and focus are critical and you can't just pick one up in your hands and look through it, you have to look through it with some cheek weld on a gun. I now need to make an adapter for my doubler and find a mount for my T20 IR illuminator.
    She was only an Admiral's daughter but her naval base was full of discharged seamen.

Unhappy

I'm not as impressed with this as some. Air Gunners at 12 ftlbs aren't shooting much further out than 50 yrds. and usually less than 40, at this range its a demon to focus. And needs constant re focusing. Trying to focus with your left hand while trying to keep on on target is a nightmare. Well the back's agony after last night ! I honestly think that this would be best suited to FAC shooters who are shooting 50+ yards as normal unfortunately the magnification is only 5 x so at distance the "dot " is the size of the rabbits head. I'm afraid I think its overated.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonka60 View Post
    I'm not as impressed with this as some. Air Gunners at 12 ftlbs aren't shooting much further out than 50 yrds. and usually less than 40, at this range its a demon to focus. And needs constant re focusing. Trying to focus with your left hand while trying to keep on on target is a nightmare. Well the back's agony after last night ! I honestly think that this would be best suited to FAC shooters who are shooting 50+ yards as normal unfortunately the magnification is only 5 x so at distance the "dot " is the size of the rabbits head. I'm afraid I think its overated.
    I have to agree with this, after trying one yesterday I was less than impressed at at shortish range, very blurry picture unless you are going past 50 yrds. This was going to replace my NS50 but to be honest I think there is no comparison in terms of sight picture, the NS is miles ahead IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by clueless View Post
    I have to agree with this, after trying one yesterday I was less than impressed at at shortish range, very blurry picture unless you are going past 50 yrds. This was going to replace my NS50 but to be honest I think there is no comparison in terms of sight picture, the NS is miles ahead IMHO.
    I have no allegiance to any brand ...unlike some ..just a hunters observations over 1000's acres in N Yorks teeming with rabbits

Not for me it isn't....mine is fine from close to HMR distance with the T20 ir ..... i dislike the ergonomics of all the screen type units.....i would never buy one.....in fact i would rather not go night shooting at all than use one.

For a similar reason i would not buy the N550 and N750...as i never wanted a Dalek sat on my rifle..

Miles ahead ..how?..have you seen the comparison of the Armasight ,N750 and Photon..i have, and that is what made me buy the Photon....not all the talk on the forums.

I dare say a lot of forum folk have nowhere to use what they have already properly.....i do and from what i see in the field...you need mil spec gen 2 or Gen 3 to beat it.
    ££££££ for 2 bob rabbits..er no...there is a limit.
    Last edited by MrGreengrass; 29-11-2013 at 08:25 PM.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Tonka60 View Post
    I think you have hit the nail on the head there Tonka - and I wish I had thought that one out. I too found it isn't so much of a problem at longer ranges. I've made some plastic friction fit "aperture caps" to experiment with different hole sizes and will make them available when I find the ideal compromise between focus field improvement and low light losses. Meanwhile a diy guy could make something out of a flip up lens cover.

At the beginning of this video I could not get the photon to remain in even reasonable focus with any movement of the focus wheel. With the reduced aperture I was able to move the coaster knob on the focus wheel nearly half an inch and remain 'almost focused'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F-BxiP63MQ
    For NV spotter and add-on videos, paste > some bloke night vision < into YouTube search bar

they are pants,
    sorted

Quote Originally Posted by some bloke View Post
    I think you have hit the nail on the head there Tonka - and I wish I had thought that one out. I too found it isn't so much of a problem at longer ranges. I've made some plastic friction fit "aperture caps" to experiment with different hole sizes and will make them available when I find the ideal compromise between focus field improvement and low light losses. Meanwhile a diy guy could make something out of a flip up lens cover.

At the beginning of this video I could not get the photon to remain in even reasonable focus with any movement of the focus wheel. With the reduced aperture I was able to move the coaster knob on the focus wheel nearly half an inch and remain 'almost focused'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F-BxiP63MQ
    Hi some bloke,Give me a shout when you find the right flip-up for photon ,i will have one from you please.cheers.
    rgds stubbs4612

Quote Originally Posted by stubbs4612 View Post
    Hi some bloke,Give me a shout when you find the right flip-up for photon ,i will have one from you please.cheers.
    rgds stubbs4612
    Sure will my 'ansome, I got your payment for the one on epay but have not re-listed it yet. I was expecting my Photon back from TJ's yesterday but they had kept it to check for intermittent faults and are posting it back tomorrow. Seems the noise I could hear when adjusting the focus was the seal - and is normal.

Also seems the very tight almost in focus at low ranges is completely normal and to be expected.

Given that this type of device is basically a camera with a screen and reticle behind it, it might be helpful to consider it like one. Decent camera's have an adjustable iris to control the light intake but that would have placed the photon at a much higher price. A modest £20 or so fixed iris placed on the front of it is no big expense, something with a bigger hole than the one it was supplied with.

I'll probably be making the fixed lens 'iris smaller than originally thought, perhaps making some for air ranges with smaller holes, and bigger for HMR ranges.
    I think centrefire users will all be using doublers to get the quarry image larger in proportion to the size of the centre dot of the reticle, whilst being far enough away from the target to avoid acquisition issues.
    For NV spotter and add-on videos, paste > some bloke night vision < into YouTube search bar

Quote Originally Posted by some bloke View Post
    Sure will my 'ansome, I got your payment for the one on epay but have not re-listed it yet. I was expecting my Photon back from TJ's yesterday but they had kept it to check for intermittent faults and are posting it back tomorrow. Seems the noise I could hear when adjusting the focus was the seal - and is normal.

Also seems the very tight almost in focus at low ranges is completely normal and to be expected.

Given that this type of device is basically a camera with a screen and reticle behind it, it might be helpful to consider it like one. Decent camera's have an adjustable iris to control the light intake but that would have placed the photon at a much higher price. A modest £20 or so fixed iris placed on the front of it is no big expense, something with a bigger hole than the one it was supplied with.

I'll probably be making the fixed lens 'iris smaller than originally thought, perhaps making some for air ranges with smaller holes, and bigger for HMR ranges.
    I think centrefire users will all be using doublers to get the quarry image larger in proportion to the size of the centre dot of the reticle, whilst being far enough away from the target to avoid acquisition issues.
    yes mate i saw the one,s on e-b-y after i pm,d you about the filter,i still want one by the way.
    rgds stubbs4612

Thought I would add to this rather than start another thread...

I've had mine for a 6-7 weeks now. Its got the doubler and a 55mm 850nm filter behind the cover and a coaster fitted for focal adjustment; all I can say is its excellent for the money. With a NM800Ir on top its seeing 300 yrds at night with no excessive eye reflection/bloom at any range (other than litterally right infront of me!) and is perfectly usable to around 100yrds during the day (obviously no way near as clear as a normal scope but I shot a nice 10p size group at 100yrds using it).

Mounted it on my 22lr for the initial trials as I didnt want to disturb my 17Rem setup but its now coming off the rimmie and onto the 17 until next spring. I havent bothered using the IR as the dot is very clear to pick up. So all in all I'm a happy bunny. With my bresser/t20 and photon/NM I have an effective NV setup for around £700.

Bargain IMO.
    If we weren't supposed to eat animals they wouldn't be made out of meat.....