Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yukon photon 5x42

[QUOTE=jordang;6195649]Thought I would add to this rather than start another thread...

I've had mine for a 6-7 weeks now. Its got the doubler and a 55mm 850nm filter behind the cover and a coaster fitted for focal adjustment; all I can say is its excellent for the money. With a NM800Ir on top its seeing 300 yrds at night with no excessive eye reflection/bloom at any range (other than litterally right infront of me!) and is perfectly usable to around 100yrds during the day (obviously no way near as clear as a normal scope but I shot a nice 10p size group at 100yrds using it).

Mounted it on my 22lr for the initial trials as I didnt want to disturb my 17Rem setup but its now coming off the rimmie and onto the 17 until next spring. I havent bothered using the IR as the dot is very clear to pick up. So all in all I'm a happy bunny. With my bresser/t20 and photon/NM I have an effective NV setup for around £700.

Bargain

Same as me.glad you like it,i do too..Bresser,Photon..Nite Tek T20's....and don't bother with the IR either....no bloom or any weirdness to me either.

Shot a few in the day with it...no problem....yes it's not HDTV Plasma Widescreen....but none of the digital units i have seen are that much better either....

Bargain x2......unlike some armchair warriors..some shooters actually get to use them to the max..and get on well with them.

Buy a N750 for your airgun .... that means you wasted £1200 to do the same thing as me for £400...totally unnecessary on any airgun...they are meant for bullet guns.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

[QUOTE=MrGreengrass;6211668]
    Quote Originally Posted by jordang View Post
    Thought I would add to this rather than start another thread...

I've had mine for a 6-7 weeks now. Its got the doubler and a 55mm 850nm filter behind the cover and a coaster fitted for focal adjustment; all I can say is its excellent for the money. With a NM800Ir on top its seeing 300 yrds at night with no excessive eye reflection/bloom at any range (other than litterally right infront of me!) and is perfectly usable to around 100yrds during the day (obviously no way near as clear as a normal scope but I shot a nice 10p size group at 100yrds using it).

Mounted it on my 22lr for the initial trials as I didnt want to disturb my 17Rem setup but its now coming off the rimmie and onto the 17 until next spring. I havent bothered using the IR as the dot is very clear to pick up. So all in all I'm a happy bunny. With my bresser/t20 and photon/NM I have an effective NV setup for around £700.

Bargain

Same as me.glad you like it,i do too..Bresser,Photon..Nite Tek T20's....and don't bother with the IR either....no bloom or any weirdness to me either.

Shot a few in the day with it...no problem....yes it's not HDTV Plasma Widescreen....but none of the digital units i have seen are that much better either....

Bargain x2......unlike some armchair warriors..some shooters actually get to use them to the max..and get on well with them.

Buy a N750 for your airgun .... that means you wasted £1200 to do the same thing as me for £400...totally unnecessary on any airgun...they are meant for bullet guns.
    At least you can see clearly through an N750, I would say the Photons are that bad they are unsafe and no I am not an armchair warrior I have owned and used both units and the N750 is worth 3 times the money.

[QUOTE=Spanner.;6214569]
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGreengrass View Post

At least you can see clearly through an N750, I would say the Photons are that bad they are unsafe and no I am not an armchair warrior I have owned and used both units and the N750 is worth 3 times the money.
    And the Drone Pro is even even better than the N750 IMHO.
    atb brian

[QUOTE=Spanner.;6214569]
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGreengrass View Post

You must have had a bad un then Spanner. I have absolutely no issues with seeing whats (well) behind what I'm shooting. They do seem very marmite but I genuinely cannot see anything (at the moment) that performs this well for the money. I've used a N550 with doubler but didn't like it as much.

However the drone does look very, very nice and I would probably take that over the N750.
    If we weren't supposed to eat animals they wouldn't be made out of meat.....

Been thinking about one myself. But after reading all these comments I may reconsider ?. So they aren't for airguns ?. May just stick with the old Yukon add on ?. It's worked o for me so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratbasher View Post
    Been thinking about one myself. But after reading all these comments I may reconsider ?. So they aren't for airguns ?. May just stick with the old Yukon add on ?. It's worked o for me so far.
    I would have thought that the bog standard photon ( no doubler) would be pretty darn good on an air rifle? I don't have any issues with mine on my .22 rimfire or .22 centrefire and am seriously considering putting one on my Air Arms s410.
    What's your main reason for not getting one?

Quote Originally Posted by Ratbasher View Post
    Pm-ing you with a couple of vids that might cause you to reconsider.
    For NV spotter and add-on videos, paste > some bloke night vision < into YouTube search bar

Dont give up on the Photon's, they need good IR and an iris, some will also prefer them with a doubler depending on range or how close you like to see your target.

Once you get them sorted they are a seriously good bit of kit for around £600 all in with the doubler. If you use it as standard with the on board IR and no iris it will be poor and you will want to sell it. First step is to get some decent IR, a T20 for example, second step is to create and iris which is a blanking cover for your lens with a 23mm hole in it. Third step, get a doubler if you feel the need.

Photon..again

I would have thought that the bog standard photon ( no doubler) would be pretty darn good on an air rifle?..They are....I do ..and even shoot rabbits in the day and use the onboard Ir at night when i feel like it.

I have no intention at all of buying a doubler and don't use a drilled cap either..just have plenty of rabbits to shoot at..and the Photon helps me to cull them better with less fuss and fiddling than with any other units i have used. ....
    ....in and out the motor....and especially over drystone walls ...where the Photons normal head position is real important...maybe not to most... but for us is essential.

Ps Culling rabbits on large estates is not like popping one or two off here and there.... like a few "experts" seem to do...if there was anything vastly better in all respects i would buy one to do the job...but there isn't.

If there was a different story to tell i would......some folk have an airgun and hunt..we cull rabbits and use airguns....hunting has very little to with it for most of the year........ as there are so many of them.

Works very well ..and for us is the ...only ..option....i know what you need for the job up there and the Photon is one of them..and a T20...been waiting a long time to something like it to come on the market.

Mine will pay for itself very quickly indeed..
    Last edited by MrGreengrass; 07-01-2014 at 11:34 PM.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Nobody said you had to buy the doubler MrGG, its just an option if you want it.

However, a 23mm iris makes about as big a difference to the performance as you see when switching from the onboard IR to a T20, probably more in fact, its well worth it. Without an iris the focus is fussy, get it sharp on a 25yd rabbit and its not sharp on a 50yd one. Nobody can dispute that, there are forums littered with complaints about the fussy focus issue and many a Photon was sold as a result, the cant be and are not, all wrong. With an iris you can set focus at a mid point of your shooting ranges and it will maintain a really sharp image to your near and far ranges really well. Don't knock the iris option until you have tried it, its easy enough to do with a 23mm hole centered in a bit of card which you tape over the lens in a central position. If you like it you can buy one or make a more permanent one. It can be as simple as a hole in the end of an aerosol cap.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...cs/photo-4.jpg

I dont think anyone who did this would not honestly say they saw a very distinct improvement in what is called the depth of field, even you. Simple fact is you cant say its not an improvement if you haven't tried it.

ps. Im sure your not the only one of us who shoots lots of rabbits on a big scale either.
    Last edited by salmo; 08-01-2014 at 09:08 AM.

The full power Oslon Black T-20 IR conversions were a necessary creation for rear add-on NVD's that have to drag an illuminated image through a day scopes several lenses that have the wrong wavelength coatings - then a tiny exit pupil - all before it gets to the camera lens - then the sensor.

The photon is too responsive to very low light levels for your own good if you continue to throw the huge amounts of light out front needed for those less efficient rear add-on type night vision devices. The extremely low lux rated camera used in the Photon is working the way it was designed to work with one decent lens assembly in front of it, probably with IR wavelength anti reflective coatings on -

Like any decent camera, the light reaching the sensor often needs to be reduced so that it doesn't overpower the image... but the Photon is not equipped with an iris to facilitate that. Moderate IR levels coupled with a moderate iris of 25mm~27mm is more sensible.

If you are going to unnecessarily bang loads of light out for a Photon you will need to reduce the amount of light hitting the sensor by a very substantial amount. Salmo has had to block off excessive light which is completely unnecessary for the standard Photons maximum 200 yardish practical range with an otherwise unnecessarily light reducing iris.

I can't be the only guy who thinks it seems silly to use excessive light for sometimes light shy quarry just because you can - then restrict loads of it from getting to the camera.
    Last edited by some bloke; 09-01-2014 at 04:20 AM.
    For NV spotter and add-on videos, paste > some bloke night vision < into YouTube search bar

Is there a yawning smiley?

Quote Originally Posted by Shedder View Post
    A good write up.
    Out of interest, how close will it focus in - say if someone wanted one for close range ratting, would it be suitable?
    No, it needs at least 10 meters to focus properly
    .410 B&G moderated, HW 95K .22, CZ452 .22lr American, S&B 1.5-6X42mm Zenith Scope, Ruger 10/22, CZ527 .22Hornet, Photon 5X42 Mark 1nDayNight scope, Photon 6.5X50 mark 2 Day night scope, Envis spotting scope, nm800IR.

Mine will easily focus down to 3 metres and is really very good for rats apart from the limited field of view.
    She was only an Admiral's daughter but her naval base was full of discharged seamen.

There seems to be a lot of differing views on the net regarding the focus distance of these scopes, I haven't used mine yet but have a ratting job coming up and hope it will serve me well. There is a tip about drilling out a lens cap to about 2.5cm in the centre that helps the focusing some what, may have to give it a try if it isn't any good as standard.
    Sometimes I sits and thinks, but mostly I just sits.