Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who has actually shot a Weihrauch springer with a German restriced spring in it?

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkormat View Post
    I took a few shots with my German-spec HW35E before changing the spring. It shot nicely, not unpleasant in any way.

The original spring was 220mm long, 19.8mm OD, 14.1mm ID, 2.9mm wire, 28 coils and reasonably well finished.
    Dad has a .177" Hw35 E, which is either a Swedish 10 joule version or a German 7,5 joule, I dont remember, it was bought second hand around 2008-2009.
    But he has refused to let me open it as it shoots so nice the way it came!
    Too many airguns!

edbear2 Guest
    Just acquired a 98 import that was 5.9ft pounds, was really sweet and calm, but need a tad more so opened it up, and the spring had just been cropped and the end not closed , but ground flat roughly, shameful at the price these are

Whole gun looked like it had never been apart from new, trigger and everything else well greased (to excess) even the seal lip cavity was full of the stuff, good job it was not full power!

ATB, ED

Although I haven't ever witnessed it personally, apparently Hermann's crew went through a phase of crudely cropping springs for guns in reduced power markets (even UK ones), Ed.

And too much of that gungy grease, often in the wrong places. Finishing that spring off sympathetically and a good degrease / considered re-lube with the correct lubes in the right places transforms them, as you know.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Although I haven't ever witnessed it personally, apparently Hermann's crew went through a phase of crudely cropping springs for guns in reduced power markets (even UK ones), Ed.

And too much of that gungy grease, often in the wrong places. Finishing that spring off sympathetically and a good degrease / considered re-lube with the correct lubes in the right places transforms them, as you know.
    Just 10 mins ago fitted a (used) std. 95/98 spring, all degreased and just standard 2 piece (plastic and c/s washer) guide, now does 9.5 ft pounds and is a twangy, hold sensitive P.O.S.

I have shot a sandwell one so know what well fitted guides and a few tweaks can do, but the gun as supplied is very underwhelming in build quality etc. compared the the 35/77/80's I have owned / worked on, the whole diecast block and little tap in whatsits really are a bit pants compared to a screw in breech block.

At least it has a decent trigger!

Sorry all you 95/98 fans, I am sure it will be great once played with, but it just grates when other rifles are so much better out of the box.

ATB, ED

Some of them can shoot very nicely out of the box, Ed.

And you're right. The Sandwell fettled ones I've tried in the past (Tony's own spring design mated to the standard guide and a top hat) have all shot very nicely indeed.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!