Thread: FWB Model 80

Smile FWB Model 80

My late father purchased a model 80 so that he could accompany me to the rifle range on Saturday mornings in the early 1980 s. He was never really an enthusiast, however over the years his proficiency increased and he made into the Lincolnshire Pistol Team.

He had lost his right arm in an industrial accident in his youth so the fwb had left hand grips.

Eventually Work commitments forced him to give up and i went into the army so the pistol was used on the farm for ratting by various hands and by several Forster children who dry fired it in cowboy and Indian games in the outbuildings.

I forgot this weapon as the years ran by but recently following the death and the sale of the farm I found the battered old briefcase he kept it in.

It has been substantially abused, parts of the pistol appear to have been treated with hammer rite and the walnut grips appear to have been filed down to an ambidextrous level.

The pistol cocks and fires but is clearly a mess, the twang I can hear makes me feel that the spring has possibly snapped and the power is very down indeed. Finally the ballistic sledge mechanism appears not to be working.

I cannot sell this weapon for obvious reasons and my smithing skills are not strong. I need it to undergo a back to bare metal re-blue, a mechanical overhaul and new grips (poss right hand) so I could use it.

So could anyone recommend a suitable expert? If so what sort of costs do you think I will be looking at?

Many thanks

You might find this thread useful (the 65 being largely the same design as the 80): Inside the Feinwerkbau Model 65.

When my 65 needed a service/reseal, I sent it to City Air Weapons in Solihull, who were excellent (note, NOT the shop of the same name in Lincoln). Steve there might be able to help you with spare parts if you choose to do the work yourself, otherwise try a seller called nikkonos on the US auction site. You could also try buying parts from Germany, either through the egun auction site or somewhere like Waffencentre Gotha.

As for costs, if it's as bad as it sounds (and you're paying someone to do the work) then it might easily total more than a good replacement would be - but that's not the point

Good luck!

Matt

Many thanks, I'm time poor and my skills are not high for smithing. I have seen the results of tinkerers, I was hoping to find an enthusiast. I will however see if city aw can assist.

Thanks again.

You can still buy spares direct from Feinwerkbau in Germany, they have excellent English speaking staff and take Visa or bank transfer.

I'm sure that there are a few 'smiths' on here that might undertake this project, but it wont be a cheap job and may take a while to complete.

Fwb 80

The restoration has to be first class, the cost is unlikely to be prohibitive, for an appropriately skilled person.

As far as I recall, much of the pistol is painted rather than blued/blacked, so that will keep restoration costs down. Nice guns and worth restoring.