Thread: tuners, Q about the bsa meteor

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

tuners, Q about the bsa meteor

Hi,

In regards to T 20 threads about tuning a b2 meteor. He sleeved the transfer port and put a o ringed piston head on the piston. He said it got it up to 11 ftlb of power.

I know the bsa meteor i have, is fitted with an alloy O ringed piston head, but they only produce 8ft lbs. I've read other forum threads regarding the meteor and they do this sort of power as standard.

I'm not power hungry, but I'd like to ask does anyone know why they only produce this sort of powder. I know they are similar sized to a b2, and they are O ringed as standard, is there issues with the transfer port?? There is a thread in the collectable section about a meteor which has had transfer port modifications.

Thanks for putting up with my clunky questions.

There's no issue with transfer port size or the standard factory spring when modifying to legal limit on the MK2 Meteor in .22, the only variant I can personally speak about, & probably not other variants as John Bowkett used the modify this model to the legal limit too. That's not to say modifying the transfer port can't improve the shot cycle as Iv'e not tried!
    IF IT'S NOT BROKE.........DON'T FIX IT!

Quote Originally Posted by wonky donky View Post
    There's no issue with transfer port size or the standard factory spring when modifying to legal limit on the MK2 Meteor in .22, the only variant I can personally speak about, & probably not other variants as John Bowkett used the modify this model to the legal limit too. That's not to say modifying the transfer port can't improve the shot cycle as Iv'e not tried!
    Sorry for the very late reply. Thank you for the reply. My memory fails me sometimes

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy001 View Post
    Hi,

In regards to T 20 threads about tuning a b2 meteor. He sleeved the transfer port and put a o ringed piston head on the piston. He said it got it up to 11 ftlb of power.

I know the bsa meteor i have, is fitted with an alloy O ringed piston head, but they only produce 8ft lbs. I've read other forum threads regarding the meteor and they do this sort of power as standard.
    I think you are confusing T20's SMK B2 tune with another one on the BSA Meteor.

Bowkett got the BSA Meteor up to 12 ft/lbs in .177 (!) but it was a nasty rifle to shoot (according to eye witnesses) heavily sprung and recoiled harshly.

A well run-in one .22 one in standard fettle and the right pellet will give a good 10 ft/lbs, the .177 about 8.5 ft/lbs.

Jon Budd has a thread on his one somewhere that is doing quite well energy-wise and is pleasant to shoot.

I am converting one of mine to a HW 26mm piston seal, which should give a bit more swept volume and a bit more efficiency. The bore x stroke is smaller than a B2, I've got it written down somewhere... But the potential is for 10 ft/lbs in .22 with a standard spring and transfer port... I know this because my old 1973 model does this, no mods just see alot of shooting and a bit of Dri-Slide. I think there are leakage or 'O'-ring tightness issues with some Meteors, they are made from rolled sheet steel and the compression chambers are rarely truly circular. A parachute seal should seal much better as it is more flexible and forgiving than the 'O' ring... the old leather-seal ones would be quite powerful when run in so I believe. Jon Budd found the piston is too light (another piece of rolled and welded steel sheet) so putting a steel top-hat in might help with power.

I think you can get them going NICELY up to about 10 in .177 and maybe a tad over 11 in .22.

T20s sleeving-down of the SMK B2 port made the little chinese rifle jump from 8.5 to 12 ft/lbs; however there is no similar trick with the BSA Meteor.
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 15-06-2014 at 06:56 PM.

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

I finally dug my meteor out of the cupboard. Different projects keep side lining things, She's sitting at 10ftlbs in .22. Ruining a little rough, It's not had a tune yet in any form.

I was reading a bit of John's thread, I find it all very intriguing. I love learning about tuning and making my rifles work better.

thanks again
    Andy

I had a .22 Meteor with an Asi Paratrooper spring in it many many moons ago...a swine to get in but it did fit whole...worked like the FWB Sport....not bad if i remember right...no idea of power ...no chrono's then..but better than an Airsporter S on the 30 yd brick test...i remember that, he was gutted..
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    The meteor tube isn't the greatest quality, which is not a good marriage for an o-ring seal (which are quite tube tolerance fussy). Hence the so-so power and the big improvements that can be had changing to a decent (e.g. HW) seal. Once this is done, 'cos it is now sealing properly, you need to add some weight to the piston to stop it bouncing of it's newfound cushion of air. New breach seal (e.g. HW) helps too.

As Wonky said, stock spring is fine - I may have to trim mine in fact

I had the pleasure of a couple of quick shots with this rifle at last week's Spring Gun Bash, and it really was very, very impressive.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    I think you are confusing T20's SMK B2 tune with another one on the BSA Meteor.

Bowkett got the BSA Meteor up to 12 ft/lbs in .177 (!) but it was a nasty rifle to shoot (according to eye witnesses) heavily sprung and recoiled harshly.

A well run-in one .22 one in standard fettle and the right pellet will give a good 10 ft/lbs, the .177 about 8.5 ft/lbs.

Jon Budd has a thread on his one somewhere that is doing quite well energy-wise and is pleasant to shoot.

I am converting one of mine to a HW 26mm piston seal, which should give a bit more swept volume and a bit more efficiency. The bore x stroke is smaller than a B2, I've got it written down somewhere... But the potential is for 10 ft/lbs in .22 with a standard spring and transfer port... I know this because my old 1973 model does this, no mods just see alot of shooting and a bit of Dri-Slide. I think there are leakage or 'O'-ring tightness issues with some Meteors, they are made from rolled sheet steel and the compression chambers are rarely truly circular. A parachute seal should seal much better as it is more flexible and forgiving than the 'O' ring... the old leather-seal ones would be quite powerful when run in so I believe. Jon Budd found the piston is too light (another piece of rolled and welded steel sheet) so putting a steel top-hat in might help with power.

I think you can get them going NICELY up to about 10 in .177 and maybe a tad over 11 in .22.

T20s sleeving-down of the SMK B2 port made the little chinese rifle jump from 8.5 to 12 ft/lbs; however there is no similar trick with the BSA Meteor.

I like the sound of doing this conversion to HW piston seal from o-ring and would like to have a go on my Mk3 Meteor, what needs to be done, does the piston head need new mods or a different type of piston head to get it to fit? My piston head measures 25mm so would the 26mm seal be too tight in the chamber? Intreaged!

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....wer-BSA-meteor

If a 26mm is too tight in yours, a 25mm would work, or an LGV/U 25.3mm
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....wer-BSA-meteor

If a 26mm is too tight in yours, a 25mm would work, or an LGV/U 25.3mm
    Thanks for the link Jon, what I thought was a simple fix is looking to be a bigger operation than I thought as I don't have the machining equipment in my garden shed to perform such a task! but I may just buy a HW77 seal (25.5mm on JKI) to measure up and see what needs to be achieved, I have both a threaded and keyhole piston head so one may suit better, the threaded one gives enough thread to be able to add a few washers for weight.

One of the most important features of the 12 ft/lbs Meteor conversions the Bowket used to do was the improved barrel hinge pin and lock up. He bored out the breech block and one of the jaws, made an oversize bolt and threaded it into the other breech jaw. It was then locked in place by a scew to prevent the bolt rotating and working like a cam to alter poi. I had one which I didnt mess with but just shot it and the recoil and accuracy were perfectly adequate for bunny popping out to the distances my FWB and HW35 were used at. I was told that once the piston was taken out of the cylinder it was , so I didnt

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfox1307 View Post
    Thanks for the link Jon, what I thought was a simple fix is looking to be a bigger operation than I thought as I don't have the machining equipment in my garden shed to perform such a task! but I may just buy a HW77 seal (25.5mm on JKI) to measure up and see what needs to be achieved, I have both a threaded and keyhole piston head so one may suit better, the threaded one gives enough thread to be able to add a few washers for weight.
    Jon, see link below, would this be the answer (for those of us who dont have the machining equipment) to convert to a Meteor to HW type seal?

http://www.vortekproducts.com/oursto...?product_id=95