Thread: tuners, Q about the bsa meteor

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverfox1307 View Post
    Jon, see link below, would this be the answer (for those of us who dont have the machining equipment) to convert to a Meteor to HW type seal?

http://www.vortekproducts.com/oursto...?product_id=95
    it's basically there, but you need to somehow screw it to the piston head...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    it's basically there, but you need to somehow screw it to the piston head...
    Is that not what the countersunk bolt as seen in the image would be for and using a washer and locknut inside the piston in similar fashion to the threaded type of meteor piston head?

Is that not what the countersunk bolt as seen in the image would be for and using a washer and locknut inside the piston in similar fashion to the threaded type of meteor piston head?
    Could do yeah, but a washer and locknut might be a bit sloppy. Maybe adding a bush to where the bolt passes through the piston would address that. Or drill out the bolt hole to take a larger OD bolt.

I guess I worry slightly that the bolt is quite skinny... in a Gamo, it would be screwed straight into the piston, so no movement = not a problem, but in the Meteor it would be floating around, and subject to some forces that it might not be able to withstand - hence the bush idea. In fact, a threaded bush would be perfect - but a bigger bolt would be easier.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Could do yeah, but a washer and locknut might be a bit sloppy. Maybe adding a bush to where the bolt passes through the piston would address that. Or drill out the bolt hole to take a larger OD bolt.

I guess I worry slightly that the bolt is quite skinny... in a Gamo, it would be screwed straight into the piston, so no movement = not a problem, but in the Meteor it would be floating around, and subject to some forces that it might not be able to withstand - hence the bush idea. In fact, a threaded bush would be perfect - but a bigger bolt would be easier.
    I see where you are coming from and agree with the larger bolt idea, this would possibly be more achievable for myself with only basic tools, fashioning a bush might be a bit out of my league! - I see that there is a Uk outlet for this part, I just might just send for it for the sake of a few quid and see how I get on - I'll let you know.

I now have the part and seal in 25mm and fitted it to the piston but I fear it may be slightly to small as when I push it up in the chamber it slides quite easily even with my finger over the transfer port, perhaps I should have ordered the 26mm and sized it to the chamber.

I now have the part and seal in 25mm and fitted it to the piston but I fear it may be slightly to small as when I push it up in the chamber it slides quite easily even with my finger over the transfer port, perhaps I should have ordered the 26mm and sized it to the chamber.
    yes, as I suggested above
    You could try the lgu seal which is about 25.3/4mm. My guess is the meteor bore is 1" 25.4mm, so just go with 26 as I did... no sizing needed.

yes, as I suggested above
    You could try the lgu seal which is about 25.3/4mm. My guess is the meteor bore is 1" 25.4mm, so just go with 26 as I did... no sizing needed.
    point taken!
    25mm being returned to be replaced with 26mm next week.

Is there a commercially available adapter to fit a parachute type seal to the Meteor piston?.

I've a mate who's a cnc machinist in the aerospace industry,but having him make parts usually involves a long wait.