Thread: midlands gun co demon .177 and original mod 25 .177 help please

midlands gun co demon .177 and original mod 25 .177 help please

hi there ive been given 2 guns by m grandparent's,
    ive found out what they are now but would like to fix them up If I can, far as I can tell / found out the original is made by Diana? ive looked on a site selling parts an my one seams to be an early model, I only need to get the seal for the end of the barrel where it breaks an that should be it ( anyone know how I can find the age of it ? )

the demon is in need of a few more parts its missing rear site parts an a few screws, also now dosnt cock but I know it did in the past as ive shot it many years ago. I cannot find any parts for it on the net so far, is it something I wont be able to get bits for? or will other brands share the same parts?

I would like to fix them as they were my grandparents dads, yes 1 from each, my nan said her dad had the demon before the war so he may of had it from new.

any help welcome thanks
    ben

Hi Ben and welcome to the forum,

Protek are worth a look for the bits for your Original but finding parts for your Demon is going to be a little trickier (the open sights for old guns are seemingly the most common parts missing...)...still worth giving them a call though. Failing that you'll have to make the parts you need/adapt form something else, or source a donor rifle...

Re. the Demon's trigger, if it has a trigger adjustment screw?...try backing it out to make the trigger pull heavier to see if the the sear will hold...

Re. the Original breech seal, If you do get stuck and can't find one...give me the sizes and I'll make you one

Hope this helps,
    Dave
    blah blah

Hi Ben,

Welcome to the Collectors' section of the BBS.

I'm currently researching the Midland Gun Company and so called Demon models and would therefore love to see some close up pics of your example, including any surviving stampings. I am of course presuming we are talking about a break barrel air rifle, as the MGC also sold the Diana 48 as the Demon Target Model.

Is the stock of an angular pistol hand or more rounded profile?

As for spares, look for spares for the prewar Diana 27 (quarter stocked early type) as the so called Demon shares many parts with this German model.

Kind regards,

John

thanks everyone,
    think ive found the part I need for the original now just need to order it an hope that it works well afterwards ( has no power ) but the leather type seal is half missing so hoping it is just that.

the demon is a break barrel rifle , all I can find is midland gun co Birmingham made in England on the top, and 2 stamps saying 1575 I will get some pics of both guns

Quote Originally Posted by benjy View Post
    thanks everyone,
    think ive found the part I need for the original now just need to order it an hope that it works well afterwards ( has no power ) but the leather type seal is half missing so hoping it is just that.

the demon is a break barrel rifle , all I can find is midland gun co Birmingham made in England on the top, and 2 stamps saying 1575 I will get some pics of both guns
    Hi according to Dennis Hiller's book the BSA Airsporter Mk1 rear sight will fit the Demon which he dates as being made from 1919-1935 and not many where made good luck with getting it working.

Quote Originally Posted by micky View Post
    Hi according to Dennis Hiller's book the BSA Airsporter Mk1 rear sight will fit the Demon which he dates as being made from 1919-1935 and not many where made good luck with getting it working.
    The "Demon" looks like a Midland Gun Company Standard model from the 1930s. They made two - Standard and De-Luxe, the latter being engraved. Ironically, the Midland ceased calling their air rifles Demons in their catalogues in the late 1920s. For more info, look out for a review in Airgun World shortly.

Kind regards,

John

wold anyone be able to give me an idea of what these guns are worth? in this state and if mint

Quote Originally Posted by benjy View Post
    wold anyone be able to give me an idea of what these guns are worth? in this state and if mint
    Hi,
    It's been an interesting thread, thank you. Just one question - do you actually mean mint or restored? The words are often treated as interchangeable but there will probably be a world of difference between the value of two guns described accurately by either word.
    Just trying to avoid any confusion, especially as the chances of an actual mint Demon turning up would get very good odds at Ladbrokes, Mick
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .

restored/ good used cond. would be nice to know if there worth me trying to rebuild or pass them on to someone with more skill / knows more about them and will enjoy them more

not been o here for a while, not done anything with them so far but going to get the original sorted soon