Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Diana 280 or 34?

Diana 280 or 34?

I was about to buy a HW99 when I became aware of the Diana 280. I haven't handled one as there are no dealers local to me, but I think it's a fine looking thing. Then on the same website I saw the Diana 34. It's not a direct comparison, I know, since it's more expensive, but it has the same sleek appearance as the 280.

Can anyone offer any thoughts? Anyone have any experience of the 34?

Cheers

On closer inspection I see the 34 I was looking at was the basic model. The sleek, chequered number I liked the look of was the premium one, which is a lot more money. So that one's out.

So - HW99 or D280?

Any thoughts very welcome. Thanks.

I like both, got 2x280's again and will have 2x95's

if buying new the 280 is way cheaper if you shop at mcavoys

Thanks for the reply. Yep, that's the site I was looking at. Certainly seems the best value I've found for the 280, but I have to add £10 for postage and £25 for my local RFD to handle it!

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by CaineIsCarter View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Yep, that's the site I was looking at. Certainly seems the best value I've found for the 280, but I have to add £10 for postage and £25 for my local RFD to handle it!

Cheers
    still cheaper than a 95 from most retailers...

if you do get the 280...i got the rifle not the K in .177 and it is better, i removed the opens and will add a barrel weight also. I would strip it, degrease it and fresh lube it right from the get go, the triggers are adjusted quite nice already.

my .22 280 is a K, i feel its just about right for cocking effort etc.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User

Can anyone offer any thoughts? Anyone have any experience of the 34?

Cheers
    About 20 years
    but I have not had a 280 yet, but look what Tony can do with them

For me a break barrel airgun is all about a robust breech seal and hinge lock up and this is where the Diana is at its best

There are so many different versions of the 34 all with the same basic action from cheap to expensive. Heres just a few.
    http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/8222/6x0c.jpg

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/1568/sp5y.jpg

http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/284/7pvu.png

Cheers
    ask for postage foc mate. dont ask......

280k - fantastic gun, I got nowhere with the new 99s I bought, got rid and bought a 280k - spot on straight out of the box.

Diana 280 or 34?

i have a mod34 a 36 and a 280k cracking guns

secretagentmole Guest
    I would leave the Diana well alone. The wife had 2 of the .177 carbines. They were a basket to cock, requiring even more effort than a gas ram. The trigger mechanism was appalling, I know people keep praising the T06, but the two I have experienced are far worse than the trigger on a 25D! They were way too light, too sensitive, basically hair triggers with no feel. Tried getting them adjusted. In the end the wife sold the rifles. They look good but are really not! She bought one, sold it, then decided to try spring guns again, bought another, found exactly the same problems, last Diana we bought and we will not buy another!

An HW95 or 99 will outshine it in trigger quality!

Quote Originally Posted by secretagentmole View Post
    I would leave the Diana well alone. The wife had 2 of the .177 carbines. They were a basket to cock, requiring even more effort than a gas ram. The trigger mechanism was appalling, I know people keep praising the T06, but the two I have experienced are far worse than the trigger on a 25D! They were way too light, too sensitive, basically hair triggers with no feel. Tried getting them adjusted. In the end the wife sold the rifles. They look good but are really not! She bought one, sold it, then decided to try spring guns again, bought another, found exactly the same problems, last Diana we bought and we will not buy another!

An HW95 or 99 will outshine it in trigger quality!
    let him try one for himself...i have had no issues with any of the T06 triggers on my Diana's as i have said many times. If you are every up in Manchester come see me...we can go shooting and you can see just how good Diana rifles are

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtoe01 View Post
    let him try one for himself...i have had no issues with any of the T06 triggers on my Diana's as i have said many times. If you are every up in Manchester come see me...we can go shooting and you can see just how good Diana rifles are
    You rate the Diana T06 I do not, the 3 ball bearing trigger on the 25D was much much better!
    He asked peoples opinions, I gave mine and if you stubbed your big toe on it I will not apologise as I think Diana rifles are overpriced and that the T06 triggers are poor and the 280 Carbines are like a gym workout (they do require a lot more cocking force than a 99 or 95).

Another fact is that now Diana are being imported through SMK getting spares could be a problem. After all SMK are not known for their spare parts availability on the other rifles they sell leading to a huge market for non factory spares for SMK rifles!

secretagentmole Guest
    http://www.sportsmk.co.uk/

See in the nice link I have provided, Diana are now being imported through SMK (who are now part of Remington).

So best of British, or should that be best of American or best of Chinese to you!

Edited to add, I wanted to like them, it is a nicely balanced gun, just the trigger and the cocking effort.

Opinions from all sides gratefully received, we can agree to disagree here can't we

I'm going for the Diana. I like the look of it, simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by secretagentmole View Post
    http://www.sportsmk.co.uk/

See in the nice link I have provided, Diana are now being imported through SMK (who are now part of Remington).

So best of British, or should that be best of American or best of Chinese to you!

Edited to add, I wanted to like them, it is a nicely balanced gun, just the trigger and the cocking effort.
    full rifle in .177, much easier to cock, especially with a little tune work 280k in .22 is about right also especially with a little tune work.

These guns are 224quid, the quality is miles better than any chinese gun, the ONLY issue is some pistons may be slightly out of round at the nose and you could fix that with a file if you wanted as the piston rides on the seal at the front mainly so just add some clearance.

For the money the 280 just can not be beaten imo...as i sated earlier you are welcome to shoot mine anytime, i will even set up the trigger on them to be just how you like it.