Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Diana 280 or 34?

Quote Originally Posted by CaineIsCarter View Post
    Opinions from all sides gratefully received, we can agree to disagree here can't we

I'm going for the Diana. I like the look of it, simple as that.
    what calibre are you getting?

.177 get the rifle
    .22 the 280k is ok also

I have a 280K in .177, makes just short of 11 ft/lbs with a Welsh Willy kit in situ, and is very accurate with JSB Exact Express.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by secretagentmole View Post
    I would leave the Diana well alone. The wife had 2 of the .177 carbines. They were a basket to cock, requiring even more effort than a gas ram. The trigger mechanism was appalling, I know people keep praising the T06, but the two I have experienced are far worse than the trigger on a 25D! They were way too light, too sensitive, basically hair triggers with no feel. Tried getting them adjusted. In the end the wife sold the rifles. They look good but are really not! She bought one, sold it, then decided to try spring guns again, bought another, found exactly the same problems, last Diana we bought and we will not buy another!

An HW95 or 99 will outshine it in trigger quality!
    I was just wondering if you know much about airguns
    If I had a complaint about a particular airgun I would want to know what the problem was in detail so I could explain to others, not just say its hard to cock, I would want to say it was because of the short barrel or that the linkage was wrong or it was grinding or somthing, and I would want to know why the trigger would not adjust especially when so many who know what they are talking about all over the world say that the T06 is equal to the rekord and probably better constructed.
    Have you ever examined a Diana action part by part and compared it with a new HW action?
    You could have just been unlucky and got two lemons like you can with all makes but you should have checked out the first 280 before buying another

I dropped one of the development springs in my .177 that me and Wonky have been working on, stock guide shortened and a tophat installed it gave 11.4fpe right off with exacts, very tight spread.

I will upload the pics i took of the piston to the blog, it shows where i machined it to round at the nose...so it will show you where to tickle it with a file to give similar results

The skirts on the pistons are seriously hard, a polish and good lube is all they really need for a nice budget tune. I do however alter the shape of the cocking arm where it rides on the spring and polish it to get that like butter feel

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by secretagentmole View Post

So best of British, or should that be best of American or best of Chinese to you!

I wouldn't worry about Diana going Chinese.

Dont forget where they come from
    http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/3267/pxnx.jpg
    Even AA would fit in their front door
    Heres Diana's front door
    http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/8421/76su.jpg

Opinions from all sides gratefully received, we can agree to disagree here can't we

I'm going for the Diana. I like the look of it, simple as that.
    As good a reason as any! I have a full length .177 and with a mild tune it is a lovely gun to shoot. The cocking effort is a little higher than a 95 and if cocked
    in k form with no barrel weight or mod to add extra leverage it would be significant. I am always impressed with how quiet the std length gun is a feel no need to
    fit a mod upsetting its handy size. The only thing for me is I would like a longer stock but I am 6' 2" so it may not bother others. Good choice. atb Max
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by bigtoe01 View Post
    what calibre are you getting?

.177 get the rifle
    .22 the 280k is ok also
    .177 rifle ordered.

I'm hoping it shoots well straight out of the box, as it should, but if I decide to give it a tune up, would you suggest this is doable for someone who has no experience of this sort of thing?

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    As good a reason as any! I have a full length .177 and with a mild tune it is a lovely gun to shoot. The cocking effort is a little higher than a 95 and if cocked
    in k form with no barrel weight or mod to add extra leverage it would be significant. I am always impressed with how quiet the std length gun is a feel no need to
    fit a mod upsetting its handy size. The only thing for me is I would like a longer stock but I am 6' 2" so it may not bother others. Good choice. atb Max
    Thank you, Max, I'm really looking forward to laying my hands on it. You say yours has had a mild tune; can you say exactly what, and whether you did it yourself?

Cheers

Damian

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    As already said, lovely gun to shoot, just has a shit stock on it, which is a shame.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

.177 rifle ordered.

I'm hoping it shoots well straight out of the box, as it should, but if I decide to give it a tune up, would you suggest this is doable for someone who has no experience of this sort of thing?
    I will help you here on the forum if it needs anything....first thing is get it and put a few thru it...see how it is

Quote Originally Posted by bigtoe01 View Post
    I will help you here on the forum if it needs anything....first thing is get it and put a few thru it...see how it is
    That's very kind, thank you.

Thank you, Max, I'm really looking forward to laying my hands on it. You say yours has had a mild tune; can you say exactly what, and whether you did it yourself?

Cheers

Damian
    Mine has just had a polish, relube and a closer fitting guide and top hat fitted to tame the twang. I hade to re-shape and polish the cocking lever a bit where it engages with the piston as it was graunchey. To strip it you will need a sash cramp to compress the spring. I think I made a plastic piston sleeve from a milk container too. Not so difficult and worth the effort. A polish relube and piston liner would make a significant difference a guide set is a bit of a luxury really. In fact, I'm going to have a plink with mine now! Max
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

So, Diana 280 or 34?

280's seem a bit thinner on the ground now...

My 280 was brand new last year. Terrible barrel droop, barrel bent to the left, scope rail was not central on the cylinder, and the breech throat was cut off centre. Was sent straight back, I will never buy another Diana.

Quote Originally Posted by TRS1 View Post
    So, Diana 280 or 34?

280's seem a bit thinner on the ground now...
    I bought a fettled 280 off of here. Lovely rifle, in fact I was shooting it this morning, along with my SFS 95 and there's very little between them, possibly the trigger is a tad better on the tuned 95, although the T06 compares well to standard Rekords. It took me a little while longer to find the best pellet for it though (Superdomes).